Hacking DSi: R-button problem

Gwozdz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have had a DSi for a month now and I noticed a problem once out of the box. The R-button clicks but make no response, only pressing harder then necessary will make a response(with fluctuations in and out). The L-button works wonderfully. This is a horrible thing when playing a game like 'band brother DX' and I have made up my mind that can't live with it. I have taken apart my DSi in hopes to fix, but with no luck.

What do you think I should do? Get Nintendo to fix it? Get my hands on a replacement button? What? This thing is driving me mad.

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lecture.gif
Well, return your Nintendo DSi to the game retail store to get a new Nintendo DSi, so the 'R' button works perfectly!
yay.gif

Gwozdz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No not really; the R L-buttons feel great on the DSi. I just happened to get the one manufacturing defective button trigger out of a million.

I think I will go back and trade in with a new one.

DemonicChocobo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's defective. It sounds more like the dust problem that was common with DS Lites. Get canned air and blow out the dust from the L and R buttons. If you don't have canned air, then you can just blow into it with your mouth, but it's not as safe as there will be moisture.

maxdaling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My original Phat had bad R button problems, my lite just recently did the same thing.... if my Dsi does it too I'm gonna freak out. But I will try the canned air method on my lite.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
this is a common topic in Nintendo TEch forum. Call NIntendo at 1-800-255-3700

Man. I hate those kind of replies without telling me the problem. they told people to call nintendo. what's the point of having a tech forum if we end up calling nintendo?

Gwozdz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
O-Boy I fixed it! I took apart the system a second time and took a good long look at the trigger button. Then with a spontaneous impulse; I dipped it in water and left it alone to dry for several hours. I tried it out and the sensitivity matches that of the L-button (a good thing). I don't know if this is a permanent fix, to early to tell, or if some of the moisture is still within acting as a temporary conductor. If it is fixed I hope this information could help someone else in need; if not fixed then I appreciate all of your information for I have been using it.

nintendodsi0111

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OMG My blue dsi has the exact same problem and its making me so mad !! especially because im playing mario and luigi partners in time alot now where i have to click the R button alott and now my R button has stoop working andd sometimes if i hold the R button and click L it works whcich i find strange.

EpicPie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gwozdz said:
I have had a DSi for a month now and I noticed a problem once out of the box. The R-button clicks but make no response, only pressing harder then necessary will make a response(with fluctuations in and out). The L-button works wonderfully. This is a horrible thing when playing a game like 'band brother DX' and I have made up my mind that can't live with it. I have taken apart my DSi in hopes to fix, but with no luck.

What do you think I should do? Get Nintendo to fix it? Get my hands on a replacement button? What? This thing is driving me mad.
That used to happen a lot with my DS Lite so I had to keep sending it to Nintendo to fix since I still had warranty. Since you opened up your DSi your warranty got voided, you can't mail it to Nintendo now and expect them to fix it for free. Even if you tell them a lie saying you never opened your DSi they have weird ways of knowing if you did or not.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
whatever. i had stuck L and R buttons and nintendo quoted me different prices each time. it was always over 70$ with shipping. all 3 times i've fixed it myself using a combination of a can of compressed air and my mouth blowing air like a freaking psycho jonesing for some gaming. i never had to take it apart.

-another world

toh_yxes

Trophies
XP
Country
OMG. I never realised this was the problem with my L button. I am such a noob. So blowing on it huh? Got it.
HAHA it works. Thats awesome.
Thanks

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DemonicChocobo said:
I don't think it's defective. It sounds more like the dust problem that was common with DS Lites. Get canned air and blow out the dust from the L and R buttons. If you don't have canned air, then you can just blow into it with your mouth, but it's not as safe as there will be moisture.
I'm 100% sure dust isn't the issue unless you happened to accidentally drop it in a gigantic pile of fresh dirt.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Natie said:
Had this problem too and I thought the R button was defective, but after a few days it started working normal again... Weird as hell shoulder buttons...

Strange. Mine did the exact same thing too. And now it works relatively fine. But it makes me wonder. Why did my Micro, my SP(3 of them), and my GBA NEVER have these problems...

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess 'cause the buttons are kinda different? The DSi has sort of different clicky type buttons than the other systems did. Perhaps it's just a problem with the design. Either way, I've never had those problems with mine.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I had a "doesn't work 3/4 of the time" R button issue with my black DSL. The blowing compressed air/cleaning device then blowing from your mouth (ewww) worked as well. Now my blue DSi is experiencing the same issues. The trigger/shoulder is a different design though, I thought they fixed this? Argh

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
...unless you've been paying attention, blowing air actually fixes it.
That doesn't mean there's dirt on the inside.
Seriously. Think about it. How much dirt would have to be in there for it to completely halt the function of a button.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...