DSi: R-button problem

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Gwozdz, Jul 2, 2009.

Jul 2, 2009

DSi: R-button problem by Gwozdz at 3:49 AM (11,775 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Gwozdz
    OP

Newcomer Gwozdz Advanced Member

Canada
    I have had a DSi for a month now and I noticed a problem once out of the box. The R-button clicks but make no response, only pressing harder then necessary will make a response(with fluctuations in and out). The L-button works wonderfully. This is a horrible thing when playing a game like 'band brother DX' and I have made up my mind that can't live with it. I have taken apart my DSi in hopes to fix, but with no luck.

What do you think I should do? Get Nintendo to fix it? Get my hands on a replacement button? What? This thing is driving me mad.

2. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    [​IMG] Well, return your Nintendo DSi to the game retail store to get a new Nintendo DSi, so the 'R' button works perfectly! [​IMG]

3. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    WOW DSi also has problems with the L and R buttons that sucks...

4. Gwozdz
    OP

Canada
    No not really; the R L-buttons feel great on the DSi. I just happened to get the one manufacturing defective button trigger out of a million.

I think I will go back and trade in with a new one.

5. DemonicChocobo

Member DemonicChocobo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think it's defective. It sounds more like the dust problem that was common with DS Lites. Get canned air and blow out the dust from the L and R buttons. If you don't have canned air, then you can just blow into it with your mouth, but it's not as safe as there will be moisture.

6. maxdaling

Newcomer maxdaling Advanced Member

Canada
    My original Phat had bad R button problems, my lite just recently did the same thing.... if my Dsi does it too I'm gonna freak out. But I will try the canned air method on my lite.

7. Gwozdz
    OP

Canada
    Dust with a new DSi? I will try but I don't think that's the problem in my case.

8. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    this is a common topic in Nintendo TEch forum. Call NIntendo at 1-800-255-3700

Man. I hate those kind of replies without telling me the problem. they told people to call nintendo. what's the point of having a tech forum if we end up calling nintendo?

9. Gwozdz
    OP

Canada
    O-Boy I fixed it! I took apart the system a second time and took a good long look at the trigger button. Then with a spontaneous impulse; I dipped it in water and left it alone to dry for several hours. I tried it out and the sensitivity matches that of the L-button (a good thing). I don't know if this is a permanent fix, to early to tell, or if some of the moisture is still within acting as a temporary conductor. If it is fixed I hope this information could help someone else in need; if not fixed then I appreciate all of your information for I have been using it.

10. nintendodsi0111

Newcomer nintendodsi0111 Newbie

Canada
    OMG My blue dsi has the exact same problem and its making me so mad !! especially because im playing mario and luigi partners in time alot now where i have to click the R button alott and now my R button has stoop working andd sometimes if i hold the R button and click L it works whcich i find strange.

11. EpicPie

Member EpicPie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That used to happen a lot with my DS Lite so I had to keep sending it to Nintendo to fix since I still had warranty. Since you opened up your DSi your warranty got voided, you can't mail it to Nintendo now and expect them to fix it for free. Even if you tell them a lie saying you never opened your DSi they have weird ways of knowing if you did or not.

12. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    whatever. i had stuck L and R buttons and nintendo quoted me different prices each time. it was always over 70$ with shipping. all 3 times i've fixed it myself using a combination of a can of compressed air and my mouth blowing air like a freaking psycho jonesing for some gaming. i never had to take it apart.

-another world

13. toh_yxes

Member toh_yxes GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    OMG. I never realised this was the problem with my L button. I am such a noob. So blowing on it huh? Got it.
    HAHA it works. Thats awesome.
    Thanks

14. houseonfire

Member houseonfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm 100% sure dust isn't the issue unless you happened to accidentally drop it in a gigantic pile of fresh dirt.

15. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ...unless you've been paying attention, blowing air actually fixes it.

16. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Had this problem too and I thought the R button was defective, but after a few days it started working normal again... Weird as hell shoulder buttons...

17. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Strange. Mine did the exact same thing too. And now it works relatively fine. But it makes me wonder. Why did my Micro, my SP(3 of them), and my GBA NEVER have these problems...

18. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I guess 'cause the buttons are kinda different? The DSi has sort of different clicky type buttons than the other systems did. Perhaps it's just a problem with the design. Either way, I've never had those problems with mine.

19. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Ok, so I had a "doesn't work 3/4 of the time" R button issue with my black DSL. The blowing compressed air/cleaning device then blowing from your mouth (ewww) worked as well. Now my blue DSi is experiencing the same issues. The trigger/shoulder is a different design though, I thought they fixed this? Argh

20. houseonfire

Member houseonfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That doesn't mean there's dirt on the inside.
    Seriously. Think about it. How much dirt would have to be in there for it to completely halt the function of a button.