Dsi Power Board connector ripped off

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by ankokushoujo, Jul 4, 2018.

1. ankokushoujo
    OP

ankokushoujo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Hungary
    It was the first time for me to attempt the disassembly of a dsi and I accidently ripped off the white power board connector from the motherboard. To remedy the problem, I ran wires to reestablish the connection between the four joints, but for some reason, It still doesn't work. Although there is continuity between the newly installed wires, and the "-" side of the battery diode, the "+" side lacks it. I guess it should beep too, isn't it? But it's strange, because I only tampered with the motherboard, and the device worked well before the "incident" :P

Second question: Is there any schematic for ds's available?
    IMG_20180703_141038.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I should say that the joints on the battery connector don't look great but that is probably just mechanical rather than anything useful.

Anyway. When the connector got ripped off it might have damaged the pad it joined to (that looks like it goes almost straight into a set of vias there, bonus is there appears to be a test point just the other side you might instead be able to use).
    I should also note though that those spring terminals are awful if you are playing with a multimeter. If you can try with a battery that might be better.

Schematics. Not that I have seen. Component level repair and diagnostics is uncommon on the GBA and DS family if you are more used to the Apple side of things -- if it is not a fuse, switch, volume control or cart connector it tends to be considered dead and gets replaced, and as motherboards have traditionally been cheap enough to allow that (you could pick up GBAs anywhere for £5 or so for a while -- I can't even get shipping for that from most of the big electronics vendors). https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+DSi+Motherboard+Replacement/3748 is about as good as it gets.

3. ankokushoujo
    OP

ankokushoujo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Hungary
    Thank you for your help, well the culprit might be way more obvious than I thought it to be, as I've found out that F1 fuse on the other side of the motherboard was not soldered properely at the one end (replaced it before, because the old one was blown). Unfortunately, I've already removed the jumper wires I installed before, so I can proceed with troubleshooting at a later time, when I'll have some wires to use.

Too bad there are no schematics available, I would have loved to study the functions and working of those components.

4. FarGt

FarGt Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2019
    Netherlands
    What was your problem after this accident?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted