DSi owners, How is the browser?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by tsantsa, Sep 13, 2009.

Sep 13, 2009
  1. tsantsa
    OP

Newcomer tsantsa Member

I am in the market for a handheld device with wifi. I am looking at the PSP Go, the DSi, the iPod Touch and the Zune HD.

So far the Zune is in the lead but I just recently got interested in the DSi. One thing I want to know is how is the browser? Is there an IM type application like Yahoo Instant Messenger or anything?

Also, how well does this thing function as an mp3/media player?

Thanks

2. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't have a DSi, but...
    The Zune HD will prove exceptionally faster than the DSi. Here's why:

I recently downloaded the Wii Opera Browser.
    Now, we can easily assume that the DSi's code matches the one in the Opera Browser.
    Anyway, obviously, the DSi is less powerful than the Wii.
    And guess what? The Wii renders kinda slow too.
    Therefore,
    DSi renders slow.

If you really want Mp3 playback, get a dedicated player. Moonshell spits out half-decent sound, and the DSi can only play AAC, so the Zune HD's your best bet.

3. Primenay13

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States

You are wrong. It kills me to say this but the DSi browser is faster and better than the wiis browser, however both have been updated and they have improved loading speeds and security. The dsi browser can play most flash items now (excluding games and youtube) other than that, the dsi browser is amazing! And also, moonshell DOESN't spit out half decent sound!!! It plays almost as good as my iphone! Well, moonshell 2 anyway. Don't speak unless you know what you are talking about!

4. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    The dsi browser is all right on a good connection. Only on some WIFI hotspots, you can't get access ( need to be redirected to another site on your dsi, it somehow doesn't allow that) The browser itself is very good. Sometimes kinda slow, but then you need to delete your history, and everything will work fine. Also if you have a couple of games from the DSishop on your dsi, it can also decrease browser performance. Some pages are to big for the DSi to load, then it gives an error and stops loading. You can use Ebuddy, but there are no apps or anything. There's no MP3 player on it, but moonshell 2 has very good sound. I would chose the new ipod touch if i where you.

5. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    It's quite slow, but definitely an improvement on the DS's browser though. Like scrtmstr already said, if the pages are too big, they won't load (most of the times, GBAtemp doesn't load, even when there isn't a noobflood).

6. BowlOfSpiders

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    The Wii browser is much faster than the DSi browser. I like the DSi browser because it is portable. But if your not going somewhere, I would go 100% Wii browser.

on topic- The DSi browser is great. [​IMG]

7. Briankealing

United States
    I could say the same to you.

I'm an audiophile, and Moonshell doesn't even touch a dedicated MP3 player's playback.

8. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    The DSi's Browser isn't the best, but not the worst either. It's basic, but it does the job. It has a good amount of functions that are useful. Being free, anyway. I myself like it, but it's only useful with Wifi, of course. For those without complete/constant computer access, very useful. No flash though.

9. MarkyB86

Newcomer MarkyB86 Newbie

United States
    I think it does exactly what it was meant to. I have an eeePC for being portable but that isnt portable enough. The browser isn't the fastest thing on earth for the DSi, but shit, I grew up on dialup, now you tell me whats worse?

10. MG4M3R

Member MG4M3R GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    The browser is great. Faster and more organised that the PSP one (Yes, the DSi browser is much better that the PSP one).

But I miss tabs...and download files and save them in SD would be aewsome... =p

Search for iPlayer.

11. chazam1337

Member chazam1337 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you want quality everything, just please go with the zune.

12. Louisvanharten

Newcomer Louisvanharten Advanced Member

Netherlands
    And I can say it to you again!

The audio quality of iphones SUCK (sorry iphiles) compared to mp3 players like the newer YPs from samsung, everyone knows that and not everyone cares. If you're talking about dedicated mp3 players, you're probably talking about high quality mp3 players that are made to play music, not games. He's talking about his iphone, not about a dedicated mp3 player. Moonshell does give quite a good sound, so I can easily believe it's getting close to iPhone quality.

13. Briankealing

United States
    When I was saying Dedicated MP3 Playback was about the Zune HD.
    He is looking for a portable wifi-capable media device, after all.

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The DSi browser is decent. Not great but decent. I use it for browsing sites like Engadget and Gizmodo when I don't have access to a computer. For an IM type application you could use mobile ebuddy (on their site). Works well for me!

15. soulx

Canada
    Do notice that the world does not revolve around the iPhone...Other MP3 players do exist. Dedicated ones. Not your half-baked garbage iPhone.

16. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada

The iPhone is actually a beautiful piece of hardware. You should check it out. I wouldn't expect a 14-yr old to have extensively studied the device. (Kid, grow up. Flaming people is bad, m'kay?)

But I agree that Moonshell MP3s (from what I've heard) sound less-than-perfect. However I think it's an issue with the DS itself rather than Moonshell.

A bit sad to see they've missed the mark once again with the DSi browser... I really hope the DSiWare support kicks in, because as of now, I see little reason to pick one up.

17. soulx

Canada
    That is a matter of opinion. Not everyone thinks that the iPhone is a "beautiful piece of hardware". Have you stopped to think that that may not be my real age....Do you honestly think I'll reveal my age on a online forum?

The DS hardware is obviously not capable of producing top-notch quality sound.

Well, the DSi Browser isn't that bad. It's decent. I don't mind it but "everytime" I use it I feel Nintendo could have did better.

18. Wankare

Member Wankare GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    It sucks
    we hope nintendo upgrades it
    you dont either Flash Player or Shockwave...
    we stick uo with java so
    you cant access YouTube or Any Flash Based Website ....
    It's Super Slow and it Freezes sometimes..
    but compared to the DS Opera Browser , its a lot better [​IMG]

19. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada

At least try to cover your tracks. [​IMG]

I'm not judging you on your age though. I respect your opinion of the iPhone, since I simply don't care. [​IMG]
    I'm just trying to make you notice that what you said possibly offended Mr.primenay13. [​IMG] Let's try and keep it friendly, people. Don't want GBAtemp to go to the pits! [​IMG]

20. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Now what they should do is drop Opera and give you some variety, they should add a Firefox browser for the DSi. [​IMG]