RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
asiekierka said:
Oh, WinterMute told me the common key might only help piracy (you can't use it to encrypt things but you can use it to decrypt things, like DSiWare, in order to play them in a pirate way, but you don't even NEED THAT)

If I find it, I'm not releasing it but I might, just might give you another bit.
Uh, if the common key were found, forget the whole piracy bit, decrypting the files would mean decrypting the firmware, and thereby being able to find glitches exploits and vulnerabilities.

It's not like the common key would instantly enable homebrew but rather open the way to finding the way, right?

tyrran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asiekierka said:
Oh, WinterMute told me the common key might only help piracy (you can't use it to encrypt things but you can use it to decrypt things, like DSiWare, in order to play them in a pirate way, but you don't even NEED THAT)

If I find it, I'm not releasing it but I might, just might give you another bit.

Do you even realize what you've done by saying that?
Let's take a look at the Wii for a moment, shall we? The exploit was found rather early on (all things considered) and was shared with the community as a whole. Was there some piracy? Absolutely. There are people who softmod their Wii purely for the pirating potential. But there are many, many more who simply run and enjoy the legal, free homebrew that is distributed evenly throughout the populous. The reason there is so much to choose from is that it flows (like spice) for all. If people had held on with an iron fist to the ways that the exploits was created and used, we would have a far, far more limited selection of ideas than we do now, and mod chips would still be a predominant factor in piracy ANYWAYS. Hell, most chips require zero wires nowadays, why even bother?
Flash carts are rampant right now, and it's foolish to say that even half of them are used strictly for homebrewing. The people who want to pirate on the DSi are doing just that, and that's it. Keeping this exploit under lock and key is only hampering the creative and legitimate community. The needs of the many should outweigh the needs of the few, and the many want to create wonder and art for the DSi. The few want to pirate and most can do that already! I personally think this elitist take on "I'm keeping the key for your own good" is demeaning to the entirety of the DSi community and is seriously backwards. You're not the Catholic Church, you can't decide who will be a sinner and who won't. Your proclamation has completely destroyed the integrity of this project. You sound like you've just made potentially hundreds of people into your own personal data miners for nothing. I am ashamed that I ever ran this program.
You did this.

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asiekierka said:

o well thats gonna get rid of about most of your people who run brutey too bad really was starting to gain some popularity
just class this under things that are lost on the gbatemp servers forever

C

CasperH

Good job
yaynds.gif

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
blitzer320 said:
asiekierka said:

o well thats gonna get rid of about most of your people who run brutey too bad really was starting to gain some popularity
just class this under things that are lost on the gbatemp servers forever
This.
What the fuck is wrong with all these fucking arrogant people on the scene?
First yasu, completely giving up support on any language that he finds sites with his software on, while his site is only in fucking japanese,
now someone who made a bruteforcer and thinks he found another way of finding the key, but not telling us. WHAT. THE. FUCK.
This project was gaining popularity and I honestly believed we had a chance to make it happen, but then it turns out that the dev is another one of those fucking arrogant, self-centered bastards.
I am now officialy removing Brutey from my pc, and I'd ask anyone who shares my opinion to do the same.
Last thing we need is a prick who tries to involve everyone in his project, then keeping the information to himself.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
guys I need to agree with this, he is right about Yasu and well that chance we find the key is very small!(maybe there is not any key!) but bruty slows down my pc and it freezes because brutey is like a virus, it uses all youre cpu and KABLAM yar pc freezes!

edit: WTF EVERYONE STOP RUNNING THIS! read this: QUOTE asiekierka

hO, WinterMute told me the common key might only help piracy (you can't use it to encrypt things but you can use it to decrypt things, like DSiWare, in order to play them in a pirate way, but you don't even NEED THAT)

it can even stop us so why continue this project?

edit: woo size is very big hmp that will take some notice!

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
asiekierka said:

Uh, if the common key were found, forget the whole piracy bit, decrypting the files would mean decrypting the firmware, and thereby being able to find glitches exploits and vulnerabilities.

It's not like the common key would instantly enable homebrew but rather open the way to finding the way, right?
Agreed, also, just think of what the HackMii folks could do with it! DSiBrew Channel!! (
biggrin.gif
)

Although, I do wonder how the exploit will be exploited... Something like BannerBomb? That, or a picture on the SD card, in my mind, are the only feasible ways of doing it... or a DSiShop hack using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Dongle, but almost no one has/uses it...

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asiekierka said:
No, don't get me wrong!

If we find the key through Brutey, i'm releasing it!

If I find the key via other means, I'm not sure what I'll do.

i think its too late the damage may already be done
noone will believe you now because they'll think you just want to keep people using brutey sorry dude

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you're really over-reacting here.
Remember, a lot of people here are just spoiled and want to use your findings for their own selfish reasons, piracy or homebrew.

I understand if you're wary about the possibility of piracy from the disclosure of the common key, but all things considering, it may be the way to finding that one critical exploit, to making the DSi Homebrew Channel.

A lot of people remained interested in the project, even when confronted with the inevitability of finding the key by bruteforce practically impossible.

And remember, if you don't, someone else will.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
asiekierka said:
blitzer320 said:
asiekierka said:
No, don't get me wrong!

If we find the key through Brutey, i'm releasing it!

If I find the key via other means, I'm not sure what I'll do.

i think its too late the damage may already be done
noone will believe you now because they'll think you just want to keep people using brutey sorry dude
Okay. The server is now down.

Look what you've done.

EDIT: But because I'm a nice guy and all, I will pack up the server files and release them.

EDIT TWO: I will if somebody requests that; but because everyone considers me a self-centered, arrogant dever, you'll probably think I won't anyway and this is just a lie to keep your hopes up.

EDIT THREE: Don't lock this
More like look what YOU've done. You did this to yourself. Also, if you even want to have a remote chance of finding the key, you might be better off getting the server up and running again.
And why would you not release the key if you find it by yourself? You culd be the hero of the dsibrew community! Think of the fame, the power, the chicks
Seriously, if you stop being selfish and just release the key if you find it, I'll get Brutey back and even advise it to other people through other community sites that I'm on.
But please, homebrew is all about being open. Please don't butcher that ideal.

asiekierka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
RupeeClock said:
Remember, a lot of people here are just spoiled and want to use your findings for their own selfish reasons, piracy or homebrew.

I understand if you're wary about the possibility of piracy from the disclosure of the common key, but all things considering, it may be the way to finding that one critical exploit, to making the DSi Homebrew Channel.

A lot of people remained interested in the project, even when confronted with the inevitability of finding the key by bruteforce practically impossible.

MMMmmmm--hmmm...

Y'know, I might consider restarting the server, but as everyone said, even if we're running at 7 trillion keys per second, it'll still take a million years.

Also who knows if loopy/Normmatt are telling the truth?

EDIT: Okay, server up, also you can just check asciinet.ath.cx:8080/keys.dat where it stores all the keys claimed to be working

C

CasperH

asiekierka said:
RupeeClock said:

MMMmmmm--hmmm...

Y'know, I might consider restarting the server, but as everyone said, even if we're running at 7 trillion keys per second, it'll still take a million years.

Also who knows if loopy/Normmatt are telling the truth?

EDIT: Okay, server up, also you can just check asciinet.ath.cx:8080/keys.dat where it stores all the keys claimed to be working
I think you're too late, everyone has removed it already

EDIT: yay, 600 posts
biggrin.gif

c0d3wiz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dsibrew.zxq.net
XP
Country
United States
" ...If I find it, I'm not releasing it but I might, just might give you another bit. "

....Dude....
mad.gif
mellow.gif
closedeyes.gif

I first was running this program to help you, but if your going to keep the key for your selfish reasons.. screw it, i'm going back to my hack.

EDIT: Like my avatar? lol

Intranet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
c0d3wiz said:
" ...If I find it, I'm not releasing it but I might, just might give you another bit. "

....Dude....
mad.gif
mellow.gif
closedeyes.gif

I first was running this program to help you, but if your going to keep the key for your selfish reasons.. screw it, i'm going back to my hack.

+1. I really don't undertsand this whole "give you a bit" of the key mentality. When the Wii's common key was released & then the twilight hack, it was happy days for all, homebrew channel came out & there was an easy way to simply load up homebrew. This same situation can happen for the DSi.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's what you do, huge fontsize; apologize, update 1st post as well, or just nuke the thread and start over XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: PSA: Update Windows...