DS2WIN Speed not what it should be

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Xeology, Jul 26, 2010.

Jul 26, 2010
  1. Xeology
    OP

Member Xeology GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I have seen the videos of people playing cod4 and stuff in pretty good fps on a ds. Sooooo, I have a DSI, AKAIO 1.7.1, an acekard 2i, DS2WIN Fusion .082.

Win2DS is setup with 50% fullscreen with the filter set to high, everything else is on the lowest possible settings.
    DS2Win has the zoomed screen off and full set to ultra.
    The game runs with 620 - 480 resolution in 16 bit color fullscreen. (2d zelda game)
    JPEG is allowed through my virus protection without scan.

I also have the same setup in a virtual machine (XP) to see if it would help, but same speeds

HOWEVER it still is slow and unplayable, extremely. . . .

How do I get my fps up a bit more to make this playable?

Anyone got any info?

2. McFlurry

Member McFlurry GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Hey I got that too, my ds shows the PC's screen extremly slooooow... that's not cool.

3. Xeology
    OP

United States
    yeah, I know and I know it is capable of going faster, I just don't now what those people are doing to get it to go faster lol. I thought maybe a virtual machine running with an extremely low res and color but even that is not changing anything so I am stumped on this one.

4. Xeology
    OP

United States
    No advice? Is there a different version I should use? Maybe a different program altogether?

5. Xeology
    OP

United States
    Sorry, but I am going to bump this, if no one has an answer is there a comparable program thats a bit faster? My goal here is to play Zelda Classic on the ds, so any other ideas as to get this running, it can run through either dos or windows with 386 opcodes using the allegro library. No source so porting is out of the question. I like the idea of using the computer's power to play it and sending controls from the ds and screen from the computer. Anyway I am taking any suggestions!

6. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    .....Use the edit button in future. Also post a link of the video as when i used win2ds it was slow and that was the norm for everyone. could of been a mock video or a troll (moonshell'd a video)

EDIT

Also "zelda classic"?...what?

7. Xeology
    OP

United States
    Zelda classic is a bit of awesome that allows you to play some great custom zelda games in the nes style with improved graphics and inventory. Google it, you will LOVE IT.

Anyway back on topic lol, is there something faster then ds2win? Or is it the fastest, I'm assuming the problem is the DS processing images and not the wifi since the psp has no issue doing this. But the psp is faster . . . . If it turns out I get a reply that it is a speed issue I will leave this rest as a hopeless issue.

8. dysan

Member dysan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    ok I'm new to this thing but I'm still going to say this...

I think for the ds to connect with the pc you need wi-fi, yes?

if the ds' web browser speed is capped at about 5-10 kbps through wi-fi,then wouldn't that mean that whatever you do, your ds will always be slow to connect with your pc as well?

just sayin'...

although I think though linuxds you can get faster download speeds...maybe run the program through linux ds then?

I dunno what I'm talking about here...it's late....goodnight [​IMG]

9. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

IIRC the ds download rate is about 30 kbs. A standard jpeg of my desktop ranges from 10kb to 15kb (one saved as .jpeg in mspaint and the other saved as a .jpeg at 85% quality in GIMP). This means that only 3 (or 2) can be transferred in 1 second which means it will only have 2 - 3 fps. To lower the file size you'd have to lower the detail (use less colours, smaller screen, etc) If it decreases the file size successfully then you'll have more fps.

10. Xeology
    OP

United States
    Yeah I did this but I cant seem to get over roughly 15 FPS.