Hacking DS Phat Broken L+R

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a launch DS Phat that I could never sell because its oh soo precious to me
yaynds.gif
Anyways, the L and R buttons have been broken for a while and I just thought about fixing them now cuz im board. however I dont want to go and take it apart not knowing if its fixable or not. I would believe the little metal spring things are what the problem is but idk. Any Solutions?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm betting your DS is kinda scratched up, right?

If you have a few bucks to spend, I'd suggest getting a shell replacement (dealextreme.com)!

It's less than $10, you'll get brand new L and R, and you can get different colors!

Just take your time, and you can take a DS apart, and put it back together with no problems at all!

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How on earth did you break the L and R buttons? My phat DS is a launch one as well, and it's taken a beating by various people, the only thing wrong with mine is a little touch screen issue.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
How on earth did you break the L and R buttons? My phat DS is a launch one as well, and it's taken a beating by various people, the only thing wrong with mine is a little touch screen issue.

I dunno they just stopped working each at differnt times

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:

I am guessing that having it in your pocket pressed the buttons down and messed with a part or something. My GBA SP has the same problem, and I do take care of my stuff(DS from December of 05 still working perfectly).

ShiningSaber

Tiger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
I used to have a launch DS phat and the L just sudden broke around the launch of Mario Kart DS.
But yeah, try a replacement case.

Zyenet

Trophies
Website
www.zyetendo.com
XP
Country
United States
I have the same issue. Try this temporary fix. It will hold you over till you get new buttons:

Grab a cue tip, and wet one side of it lightly.
Rub all over the button with the wet side of the cue tip very gently.
Use a dry cotton ball to dry the button completely.
Tap all around the button, and on the bottom of the DS.
Test it, should be working!
biggrin.gif

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hmm...i've heard stuff all over the gamefaqs boards about ds lites that have broken L buttons. never the R though. i find that quite odd but apparently it's fairly common.

Mr.Leb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of those case replacements, what are the chances of ruining your motherboard?

My L button is also on the fritz and I there is a crack in the bottom side of the hinge. I figure that a case replacement is the best way to fix it, considering that it costs $7. I'm weary, though, because my friend ruined his DS Phat by attempting a case replacement. My DS is a hand-me-down from my cousin who got a new DS Lite- I'm pretty sure mine is a launch DS.

Suggestions?

Mr.Leb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, my friend had a problem with the plastic on the motherboard. When removing the ribbon for one of the screens, he damaged the plastic and was unable to reconnect the ribbon. I'm afraid that I might do the same thing and end up with a brick. I really want to do the case replacement, and probably will.

Would there be any harm in super gluing the hinge, for the time being?

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd buy a full new set from DX.

klein said:
m3rox said:

I am guessing that having it in your pocket pressed the buttons down and messed with a part or something. My GBA SP has the same problem, and I do take care of my stuff(DS from December of 05 still working perfectly).
hahaha I have a Gameboy B&W from 1989 and still works great!

Mr.Leb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, Dealextreme's shipping is terribly slow. Would there be any problem in super gluing the crack while I wait for the case to arrive?

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Guuys, I just bought a new case for my Phat, but all I find is tutorials and more tutorials about how to replace the case for the NDSL T_T! Could anybody link to a tutorial on replacing Phat's Case AND, if it's possible, one that shows how to replace the Touch Screen
biggrin.gif
?! Thanks in Advanced!

I bought my DS used and the L was already done for T_T!

lil-devil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mr.Leb said:
Really, Dealextreme's shipping is terribly slow. Would there be any problem in super gluing the crack while I wait for the case to arrive?
well its free shipping man what can you expect =/ its shiping from hk too >.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY