Homebrew Ds mode on 3ds won’t boot

Randomperson666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ds mode on my hacked 2ds will not boot, whatever I try does not work. Here are a list of things I have tried. CtrTransfer, the fix on 3ds.hacks.guide and just trying to run games. My issue is when I try to run ds games it says, An error has occured:
Unable to mount CTRNAND or load the CTRNAND FIRM
Please use an external one.
Press any button to shutdown. Here is a list of things on my twlnand. Import, shared1, shared2, sys, ticket, title, tmp. If you have information please share.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The ds mode on my hacked 2ds will not boot, whatever I try does not work. Here are a list of things I have tried. CtrTransfer, the fix on 3ds.hacks.guide and just trying to run games. My issue is when I try to run ds games it says, An error has occured:
Unable to mount CTRNAND or load the CTRNAND FIRM
Please use an external one.
Press any button to shutdown. Here is a list of things on my twlnand. Import, shared1, shared2, sys, ticket, title, tmp. If you have information please share.
Do you have access to Homebrew Launcher? If yes, try with this:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Randomperson666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have already tried CTRTransfer and it is my ds Mode that won’t boot. The rest of my 3ds is perfectly functional

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

have already tried CTRTransfer and it is my ds Mode that won’t boot. The rest of my 3ds is perfectly functional. Also, is there supposed to be a boot file in my TWLfirm because I don’t have one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

have already tried CTRTransfer and it is my ds Mode that won’t boot. The rest of my 3ds is perfectly functional. @TurdPooCharger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have already tried CTRTransfer and it is my ds Mode that won’t boot. The rest of my 3ds is perfectly functional
What you tried was standard or official CTRTransfer. This isn't the same thing as alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9).

have already tried CTRTransfer and it is my ds Mode that won’t boot. The rest of my 3ds is perfectly functional. Also, is there supposed to be a boot file in my TWLfirm because I don’t have one.
The TWL_FIRM is installed on the 3DS onboard flash storage within the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/title/00040138/X0000102/content/0000000#.app
  • # is an arbitrary hex value ranging from 0–f.
  • X is the specific series, [ Old 3DS = 0 | New 3DS = 2 ].

External TWL FIRM files on the SD cards do exist, but they act as add-ons. These aren't necessary.

There are a handful of probably causes to a softbricked DS(i) mode. Because your 3DS system stated the infamous "Unable to mount CTRNAND, blah blah", there is a likelihood your 3DS firmware's FAT16 file system is too damaged for standard CTRTransfer to replace the TWL_FIRM. This semi-softbricked state is also known as frankenfirm where some system titles still function correctly while others do not.

Reactions: fmkid
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to keep all my apps @TurdPooCharger because on my first ctrtransfer, I was a bit dissapointed to see all of my files go away
Oh that? Your apps aren't really gone. They aren't showing up on HOME Menu due to missing tickets. They're still installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder. I've noticed those who perform standard CTRTransfer tend to skip the later section that deals with restoring tickets. This has the person wrongly assume all their games, dlcs, and updates have been deleted.

Even if you're coming from standard CTRTransfer, alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9) has this covered at step 13 in the Instructions. Just make sure after doing steps 1–4 (please don't skip hardware testing the SD card or else bad things can happen), on step 5 you copy that Nintendo 3DS folder back on the SD card.

Randomperson666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that? Your apps aren't really gone. They aren't showing up on HOME Menu due to missing tickets. They're still installed in the Nintendo 3DS folder. I've noticed those who perform standard CTRTransfer tend to skip the later section that deals with restoring tickets. This has the person wrongly assume all their games, dlcs, and updates have been deleted.

Even if you're coming from standard CTRTransfer, alternative CTRTransfer (Type D9) has this covered at step 13 in the Instructions. Just make sure after doing steps 1–4 (please don't skip hardware testing the SD card or else bad things can happen), on step 5 you copy that Nintendo 3DS folder back on the SD card.
@TurdPooCharger I have another dilemma, I want to ctrtransfer my 3ds but I don’t want to lose my data on Pokémon, is that possible to restore my data after the transfer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I have another dilemma, I want to ctrtransfer my 3ds but I don’t want to lose my data on Pokémon, is that possible to restore my data after the transfer
I don't understand. Why the late reply? What happen to repairing your softbrick from the last time we spoke 3 months ago? Did you {attempt to} fix the o2DS with CTRTransfer (Type D9)?

Randomperson666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand. Why the late reply? What happen to repairing your softbrick from the last time we spoke 3 months ago? Did you {attempt to} fix the o2DS with CTRTransfer (Type D9)?

I got a little busy and then started playing Pokémon on it, got a bunch of save data and then realized I did not know how to keep save data when doing a ctrtransfer, I also when downloading Pokémon moved the backup of the ctrnand to my computer to save space on my sd card.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a little busy and then started playing Pokémon on it, got a bunch of save data and then realized I did not know how to keep save data when doing a ctrtransfer, I also when downloading Pokémon moved the backup of the ctrnand to my computer to save space on my sd card.
CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer leaves alone the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card, retains the user profile {data folder in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND}, and deals with keeping DSiWare games & saves when fixing the broken DS(i) mode. As long as you carefully follow the Instructions and don't skip any of the steps, you will not lose personal savedata.

Not convinced duh Pokémanz will stay safe and sound after the reflash? Backup all your saves + extdata in Checkpoint, JKSM, and/or GBAVCSM.

Reactions: fmkid

Randomperson666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer leaves alone the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card, retains the user profile {data folder in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND}, and deals with keeping DSiWare games & saves when fixing the broken DS(i) mode. As long as you carefully follow the Instructions and don't skip any of the steps, you will not lose personal savedata.

Not convinced duh Pokémanz will stay safe and sound after the reflash? Backup all your saves + extdata in Checkpoint, JKSM, and/or GBAVCSM.
Sorry for another VERY late reply, I got busy. Any ways, in the ctrtransfer d9 I find it asking to delete certain files or replace them, should I say yes to every single one?

Evan5935

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

can you explain why i cant get any ds games to boot and constantly get error 0xc8804478 when booting or attempting to boot cartridges (legit or flashcart)) - o3ds 11.16 u

Thank you

apparently a ctrnand transfer and usage of twlfix, fixed it. must have been the region change

Last edited by Evan5935,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you explain why i cant get any ds games to boot and constantly get error 0xc8804478 when booting or attempting to boot cartridges (legit or flashcart)) - o3ds 11.16 u

Thank you

apparently a ctrnand transfer and usage of twlfix, fixed it. must have been the region change
TWLFix.
You're on latest fw, that means the ds functionality wasn't fixed after you updated from v11.15..

Reactions: Evan5935

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1