DS Lite question..

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Awesomeslayerg, Mar 19, 2011.

Mar 19, 2011

DS Lite question.. by Awesomeslayerg at 4:54 AM (595 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Awesomeslayerg
    OP

Member Awesomeslayerg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My Phat DS Broke then i did [​IMG] that . I had that ds for a year, My friend gave it to me for free.So i hope i get it a lite from another friend because his game cards wont read.. I think because all of its scratched.. or somethin else [​IMG] Anyways to the question... Whats the diffrence between the ds phat and lite?Mabey next time will be a dsi XD I Higly Doubt that.

2. m33st4

Newcomer m33st4 Member

Canada
    Not much real difference, ds lite is lighter, smaller, and slightly brighter.

3. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Did you destroy your phat? I might take it off your hands for parts.

The one thing I liked more about the lite is that you can adjust the brightness oh and the stylus is bigger but you can really use any stylus.

4. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    Not much, but I do prefer the lite. A different shape, style, and look as I'm sure you've seen. The stylus is on the right side instead of on top next to the game card. The lite has a sort of switch to power on and off, whereas the DS Phat has a power button. The lite also technically has larger screens, if you look up comparisons! It's extremely tiny, you can't even tell at all, but it's still a fun fact. The power and charging lights are on the hinge and make it a lot easier to tell what's going on with your DS since the lights aren't half-hidden. The light also has 4 light levels. Very low, low-med, med-high, and high. The DS Phat only has on (low) or off.

5. Shockwind

Member Shockwind GBATemp's Official The Last of Us Fan

Philippines
    Well, DS Lite is brighter and you can put an protector on it, but DS can't. DS Lite have greater colors than DS. I'd prefer DS Lite than DS because DS Lite's quality is greater than DS. [​IMG]

6. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Except for the screens being brighter, the system being lighter, and the placement of the stylus, the lite is actually worse than the original. The original had firm buttons, reliable hardware (ie: no broken hinge syndrome), and the buttons consistently worked for longer (they also were easier to press, less squish, more click). The lite is also made of very cheap plastic leading to the broken hinge problems. I don't care what the reason is, no system should break so terribly from just being opened and shut to use the damned thing.

With the difficulty of fixing anything but the top screen for a phat (things go wrong with the touchscreen after a lot, a lot of use that can't be fixed with just a simple screen replacement), I highly suggest just picking up a lite for cheap. Better yet, get a DSi if you don't mind sacrificing GBA functionality. Better quality, but for a higher price.