1. Vrpndt

OP Vrpndt Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I want to get into developing apps / games for retro consoles and have decided to start with the DS, as it's one of my favourite consoles. I'm pretty good with C#, and naturally checked for any DS libraries that are compatible with C#, but couldn't find any. I found a few that are compatible with C (which is similar in syntax to C#, but is less user-friendly), but want to avoid learning a new language (despite it being similar), as I'm more comfortable with C#.

So, does anyone know of any DS Libraries that are compatible with C#, or do I need to switch to C?

2. Essometer

Essometer Needs data

Germany
    Sorry, and correct me if I am wrong, but you won’t find libraries that allow you to program in C# for the DS. C# code is run in a runtime environment which in term runs on the CPU. With C/C++ you can write and compile code that runs on the CPU itself. So if you don’t want to create a compiler that compiles you C# code to a binary that runs on a DS, you will have to get comfortable with C/C++.

Last edited by Essometer, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Or just program straight in assembly, but good luck and godspeed with that...

4. Coto

Coto -

Chile
    C# compiles to IL (Intermediate Language), which is something a no operating system platform does not support.
    DS has a BIOS, which is a bootloader, and basic OS to run software. After that it's always running in bare metal.
    (Embedded platform without OS)

Embedded platform development requires really robust (and software side) ways of debugging and running code. The DS has quite some quirks (which translate to a few months) of very basic understanding to get going. Then you'll find out what does work in real hardware, and what does work in emulators. (What works in real hardware is mandatory).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - compatible, Library,