Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a n3dsxl and trying the widescreen patch with gta Chinatown, it seems to be stretched as opposed to being scaled properly. You can see it when you first boot the game and the suitcase lid flips up to the top screen and is stretched as opposed to matching the bottom. This is not expected correct? Thanks!
Is TWiLight itself in widescreen? If so then re-set up widescreen with the official guide and make sure you don't miss any steps.

If it's working correctly (only supported games are in widescreen, not TWiLight itself or unsupported games) then it might just be that that section of the game isn't supported, if it's using the 2D engine then it will be stretched, only 3D elements can be scaled.

JMcG26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is TWiLight itself in widescreen? If so then re-set up widescreen with the and make sure you don't miss any steps.

If it's working correctly supported games are in widescreen, not TWiLight itself or unsupported games) then it might just be that that section of the game isn't supported, if it's using the 2D engine then it will be stretched, only 3D elements can be scaled.

Thanks! Yeah twilight isn't widescreen as I've moved and renamed TwlBg.cxi etc. I guess I was just asking if maybe others who have played it can vouch if that was normal or not. The game itself looks ok I think just a little blurry but to be honest I've never played it on DS so might just be the game. I'll test some others.

rubendv14

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry but I inadvertently put that when I turn on the DSI it turns on in the nintendo zone and it stays there and I can't go to the menu to change it

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 @Everyone

VKGE (Korg DS-10+ (USA)) currently works with its .ips patch. VKGJ/VKPJ (Korg DS-10+ (Japan)/Korg DS-10+ Limited Edition (Japan)) is currently broken in TwiLight Menu/nds-bootstrap. All 3 games use the same AP overlay.
Are the VKGJ/VKPJ patches still currently broken ?
Still booting with frozen top white screen here. Please halp, especially working AP patch for DS-10+ Limited Edition VKPJ would be great.
Thanks.

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setup: Current default version of TWiLightMenu on US N2DS XL w/ the widescreen cxi enabled.

I was surprised to see a “screenshot” function in the in-game menu (I was checking out widescreen in Pokémon Black 2) , so I used the feature, and when I quit the game and returned to the main TWiLightMenu interface, that screenshot had become the background photo for every single game, shown behind their relevant box art. This was with the “DSi theme” and persists with about three different “skins,” but doesn’t show when using the 3DS theme.

I haven’t checked my 3DS micro sd card on a computer yet, but I did use 3DShell to look in just about every folder I thought was relevant to either TWiLightMenu or where photos / screenshots might reside, and I couldn’t locate that screenshot file, but it might have an extension I don’t recognize.

I’m not really inconvenienced by this, and happy to setup a fresh install of TWiLightMenu, just very curious about what’s going on in the background, what I might’ve done to cause it, or any potential solutions.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Setup: Current default version of TWiLightMenu on US N2DS XL w/ the widescreen cxi enabled.

I was surprised to see a “screenshot” function in the in-game menu (I was checking out widescreen in Pokémon Black 2) , so I used the feature, and when I quit the game and returned to the main TWiLightMenu interface, that screenshot had become the background photo for every single game, shown behind their relevant box art. This was with the “DSi theme” and persists with about three different “skins,” but doesn’t show when using the 3DS theme.

I haven’t checked my 3DS micro sd card on a computer yet, but I did use 3DShell to look in just about every folder I thought was relevant to either TWiLightMenu or where photos / screenshots might reside, and I couldn’t locate that screenshot file, but it might have an extension I don’t recognize.

I’m not really inconvenienced by this, and happy to setup a fresh install of TWiLightMenu, just very curious about what’s going on in the background, what I might’ve done to cause it, or any potential solutions.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!
The screenshots are stored in sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/screenshots.tar, nds-bootstrap can't create or resize files while in game currently so a pre-made tar file is used to make it easier.

It showing as the top screen photo is done if you don't have any images in sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/photos/ (as mentioned in a FAQ) so if you don't want your screenshots to show there you can either put a PNG in said folder or just extract and delete the TAR file.

Only the DSi theme supports showing pictures on the top screen like that so that's why they're only showing for that theme.

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screenshots are stored in sd:/_nds/nds-bootstrap/screenshots.tar, nds-bootstrap can't create or resize files while in game currently so a pre-made tar file is used to make it easier.

It showing as the top screen photo is done if you don't have any images in sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/photos/ (as mentioned in a FAQ) so if you don't want your screenshots to show there you can either put a PNG in said folder or just extract and delete the TAR file.

Only the DSi theme supports showing pictures on the top screen like that so that's why they're only showing for that theme.
Wow, thank you so much! I’m so relieved to understand exactly what was happening and why. Learning more about this app and the 3DS has been a real joy thanks to the support of devs like yourself. Cheers!

Reactions: RocketRobz and Pk11

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the VKGJ/VKPJ patches still currently broken ?
Still booting with frozen top white screen here. Please halp, especially working AP patch for DS-10+ Limited Edition VKPJ would be great.
Thanks.

@RocketRobz : would you know if NDS AP hackers are still around and still taking REQs ?
These 2 titles already haves patches, but they've been broken from the start as confirmed by @retrogamefan in 2019.

- z024 - Korg DS-10+ Synthesizer (Japan) (En,Ja) (NDSi Enhanced) - VKGJ

- z129 - Korg DS-10+ Synthesizer Limited Edition (Japan) (En,Ja) (NDSi Enhanced) - VKPJ

Please help defeating AP for these.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RocketRobz : would you know if NDS AP hackers are still around and still taking REQs ?
These 2 titles already haves patches, but they've been broken from the start as confirmed by @retrogamefan in 2019.

- z024 - Korg DS-10+ Synthesizer (Japan) (En,Ja) (NDSi Enhanced) - VKGJ

- z129 - Korg DS-10+ Synthesizer Limited Edition (Japan) (En,Ja) (NDSi Enhanced) - VKPJ

Please help defeating AP for these.
Sorry, I wouldn't know what to do.

kyrorb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I have a busted WiFi card - is it still possible to play Pokemon Soulsilver without having to get a new WiFi card? I always get the Communication Error warning.

HandyManny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this Robz8! I have a request... you know how when opening TWiLight Menu (or any real NDS game), while holding down start, it runs in pixel-perfect mode? Would you be able to modify a version of TWiLight Menu to do this automatically? (Without needing to hold down the start button).

That would have to be done on TWL_FIRM side.

EDIT: This can be done, thanks to this.

The links are dead. Has someone made a custom TwlBg.cxi that makes the screen pixel perfect without needing to hold down start or select? Is there a way to edit a TwlBg.cxi, and if the answer is yes, how?

Removed urls because I'm a new member and can't post urls.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiya, I have a busted WiFi card - is it still possible to play Pokemon Soulsilver without having to get a new WiFi card? I always get the Communication Error warning.
Hmm, the latest TWLMenu++ and nds-bootstrap versions should fix that. If not, try turning off WiFi in TWLMenu++ Settings, exit the settings menu, back into the ROM menu, and reboot the console.
If the issue persists, idk how to really fix it.

kyrorb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, the latest TWLMenu++ and nds-bootstrap versions should fix that. If not, try turning off WiFi in TWLMenu++ Settings, exit the settings menu, back into the ROM menu, and reboot the console.
If the issue persists, idk how to really fix it.

So I'm on TWL 23.4.0 and bootstrap 0.53.2, and it still presents me with the "Communication Error" - and the WiFi setting is nowehere to be seen. If I try to connect to the internet, I just face a crash that tells me that my WiFi card is gone.

I'm sure this can be done, especially considering that people play ROMs all the time offline.

EDIT: I am on an O3DS.

Last edited by kyrorb,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm on TWL 23.4.0 and bootstrap 0.53.2, and it still presents me with the "Communication Error" - and the WiFi setting is nowehere to be seen. If I try to connect to the internet, I just face a crash that tells me that my WiFi card is gone.

I'm sure this can be done, especially considering that people play ROMs all the time offline.

EDIT: I am on an O3DS.
Is the wireless switch on the side of the console turned off?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1