DS Games on 3DS Any Good?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Zeldalife89, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hey all

Im interested in getting a ds game.
    Since i only own a new 3ds xl how will
    the game look?
    I know you can change it to its original pixel density but then the screen is super tiny but if i leave it stretched is it ugly or still pretty decent?

Or is ds games on 3ds just all around bad?

2. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    It's pretty decent, albeit a little blurried out when compared to an actual DSlite/DSi.
    It doesn't really matter much unless it's pixel perfect games like pokémon or something.

gnmmarechal and Raylight like this.
  3. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    on the XL the size of the original pixel density isn't small, it's the same size of a regular DS I think

4. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    looks blurry and loads slower but its ok.

5. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    If your 3ds is modded you can install NTR launcher and enable DSi clock speeds, makes some games feel more fluid, it greatly improves some games framerate, like RaymanDS. So far there's only been issues with real dsi pokemon games crashing. (TWL games)

6. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ah ok so playing ds titles on 3ds is still a good experience? nice because i just ordered a used copy of dragon quest 5 for ds

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it's not that bad, you will get used to it...
    it's more the first impression that makes you think it's bad..

as you told before if you press start or select it goes to it's original 1:1 size. (which happens to be the same screen size as a real ds)

i can load the game on my dstwo and take a picture how it looks like if you wanna

8. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I think it looks fine for the most part and the circle pad can be a nice improvement for controls depending on the game.

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Some games are just stupid towards the circle pad all together... Not detecting the actual direction when you move in diagonal, but using the D-pad and pressing both buttons it does.

10. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Perfectly playable, as long as you're not too anal about it.

11. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    Especially on an XL 3DS, DS games play just fine. Holding Start while booting the game causes it to run at DS resolution, not upscaled to the 3DS resolution, the size of which on an XL model is roughly equivalent to a non-XL DS screen. As long as the fact that the game's display area does not fill the entire screen doesn't bother you, that's the mode where DS games look superior.

While the Circle Pad is basically acting as a D-Pad in DS mode, it still does improve control on some games, like the DS Dragon Quests, IMO. I haven't personally encountered the problems some of the others above have been complaining about. I played through SMT Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, Golden Sun Dark Dawn, and Dragon Quest IX, to name a few, on a non-XL o3DS and it went perfectly fine.

12. GudPiggeh

GudPiggeh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Hold start or select while booting.