DS emulation stagnation?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Slyde1052, Jan 18, 2009.

Jan 18, 2009

DS emulation stagnation? by Slyde1052 at 9:39 PM (999 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Slyde1052
    OP

Newcomer Slyde1052 Advanced Member

United States
    It seems to me that there has been a stalling of DS emulation updates.

I do realize that just about all of the main emulators (SNEmuleDS, jenesisDS, etc.) are not the main projects of their respective founders, yet it seems that they have fallen completely by the wayside. [​IMG]

I do so hate complaining, but this has bothered me for some time. Is DS emulation of the elder systems doomed to lay dormant for an indeterminate timeframe due to indifference by the crafters of the emulators? Or have these emulators reached their apex? Held back by hardware limitations?

At the US and EUR release of the DSi, will there be a resurgence of emulation, a Renaissance, if you will? Due mainly to the DSi's improved specifications?

Is that what the emulators' creators are waiting for? Or will the emulators still be stuck in their current state due to indifference by their parents?

I thank you for giving me this chance to voice my concerns, I'm not trying to come off as an impatient malcontent, I merely worry for DS Emulation's future.

2. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
  3. Slyde1052
    OP

Newcomer Slyde1052 Advanced Member

United States
    Perchance I should clarify. I meant Emulators ON the DS, not DS emulators themselves.

I believe I cited SNEmulDS and jenesis DS as my main examples.

I apologize for the confusion.

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

I think you missed the point that Slyde1052 was making [​IMG]

Slyde1052 was referring to emulators that work on the DS not an actual DS emulator [​IMG]

edit you beat me to it Slyde1052 lol!

5. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Yes. Development of emulators that run on DS, and DS emulators, has stagnated for the most part.

6. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Not likely, as nobody has yet figured out a way to run code in DSi mode, so anything that runs on the DSi runs exactly as it would on a DS (unless it expects to utilise SLOT-2, of course). The DSi being released more widely might mean more people with the interest and ability get the chance to look at it, though.