Gaming DS Battery - Long Term Availability?

Rafinesque

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still have several Game Boy and Game Boy Color systems from 10-20 years ago (yes I'm the original owner), all of which still work great. AA and AAA batteries aren't difficult to come by.

Has anyone thought about what will happen to the NDS in 5-10 years? The rechargeable batteries in the newer consoles will not last forever, and I doubt Nintendo will keep making them after the console itself isn't sold anymore.

Will we still be able to use our NDS systems in 10 years? With the huge ROM collections that some people have, not being able to use them would be something to think about.

I'm curious if anyone has thought about this, or knows what Nintendo's plans are for the batteries, since they are custom for each console.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DS batteries are already 'running out'. My DS 'phat' I got during the Christmas when DSLite came out is down to about 90 minutes of life, and from what I'm to understand the battery in the DSLite and DSi/XL are different. I know that there are 3rd party batteries, but the DS 'phat' ones seem rather difficult to find.

I wish I could avoid things with proprietary batteries, but it's big business. Look at Apple with the iPods, not sure if they changed the design, but replacing the battery voided your warranty, so if something happened you pretty much had to buy a new device.
Admittedly, the battery on the DS' seem to be accessible without actually opening the device, but Nintendo could say that the 3rd party battery cause the problem and they won't fix it because it wasn't authorized. The battery should last longer than the DS' warranty, so it might be a moot point.

teleska

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the amount of sells that the DS lite has produced. Finding batteries after it's death should not be a hard thing.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teleska said:
With the amount of sells that the DS lite has produced. Finding batteries after it's death should not be a hard thing.
QUOTE(Cbajd5 @ Feb 27 2011, 01:56 AM) You've always got Nintendo's Online Store to get parts from.

http://store.nintendo.com

They've got parts for all the DSes. Batteries for the DS Phat as well, $15.00.
Problem is finding fresh batteries as even in storage the batteries lose their charge capacity (though at a lower rate than ones in use), though it's good to know that Nintendo still sells batteries.

Rafinesque

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Electronics companies need to get together and create some new modern battery standards to replace AA, AAA, C, D, etc. How many decades have those been around? They are pretty much obsolete now...

Rafinesque

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just checked the Nintendo site. They are still selling GBA SP batteries.... NDS batteries should be available for a while, not forever, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: