TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
Gamespot.com said:
G-Force is a fast-paced action-platform game based on the movie of the same name.

My kids'll probably drag me to see this with them (since they don't have money themselves...it's good to be needed, right?
wink.gif
). Chances are they'll want to play the game, too, since they haven't yet been burned by a lifetime of craptastic movie/tv-show licensed games...oh E.T., whyever did you break my heart?
cry.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case anyone wanted to know what the DS version looked like, these are the only screens I could find-

1.jpg

2.jpg

I don't know what it plays like, but the Wii version isn't getting THAT bad of criticism by mainstream critics. Not as bad as other movie games. And this game has a pretty big file size for a movie game. 128MB. I am curious, so I might look at it for kicks. I don't expect much though.

M

multiboy2k

Hey Guys,

As a rule, I generally ABHOR movie to game projects. But, after trying this game out based on those screen shots, I'm finding it to be
surprisingly good! At least, when compared to other movie based tripe. The graphics are very good and the game has full 3d action. They spent some $$$ making this one.
yaynds.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I gave this a look....decent enough graphics for a DS game I guess, it moves smoothly enough and the animation is decent. Basically the bit I played had you as a Guinea Pig infiltrating some office building......mostly stealth stuff.....running through ventilation shafts and office areas. You have an electric whip to break through wall gratings and push buttons, a jet-pack to help you run faster and jump higher and a little robot fly to shut down security cameras. Not terribly exciting, but not really too bad if you like infiltration type games. Could have done without the cutesy Guinea Rats though. As you're walking through the place, you pick up these X-Box-looking little symbol thingies....not sure what the importance of these are though, I skipped the opening FMV stuff, so I don't know the whole story of the game as this point. Maybe I'll start over and pay more attention next time......if I bother to play it again.

There is likely more to it, but I stopped at this point.....not because the game was bad, but just because I don't particularly care for games where you're sneaking around constantly. Some of you guys might find some enjoyment in this one though. It does seem to play pretty well and the controls aren't bad or frustrating.

It seems to save automatically as you progress. It never made me wait too long before saving the next checkpoint and saving seemed to be an on-the-fly sort of deal. You choose one of three save slots when you start the game.

The only bit of touchscreen use I encountered was to use the x-ray goggles (or something like that) which let you look around a bit, but not much good for anything else as far as I could tell.

Anyway, there you are.....

Genio16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The game is pretty cool I think the kids will love it the and the 3d graphics are pretty decent for a movie based game

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it so far. It's kind of a riff on Splinter Cell without the violence. It's not total shite, so that's always a big plus for a movie-based game. Looks pretty good, too. Not a big fan of the controls for the fly, though. I guess they did the best they could with it, but it feels clumsy.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about the movie, but this little DS game is actually not bad! It surprised me to tell the truth. It's a full-on 3D action platformer.

Graphics- The game looks decent actually. The environments aren't very detailed, but from what I can see, the game runs at a smooth framerate (generally anywhere from 30-60fps), character models look pretty good (the animals do at least), there seems to be no clipping issues (objects suddenly popping into view when you get close), and the environments are big. I can tell more work went into designing the game than most movie licensed games. Especially considering this is Disney. There is a lot of video apparently recorded from the console game. And I mean a LOT of video. It's actually impressive. Only complaint is that the environments are a bit bland. Could use nice textures I guess.

Sound- Nothing major here really. It gets the job done, but there is nothing memorable in either the music or sound effects. Seem to be no voice acting, despite a lot of video.

Control- Definitely good. I had no trouble moving, using attacks, jumping, or anything to do with the touch screen. Moving and jumping is just like any other 3D platformer. And it DOES feel really good even without an analog stick. Camera is a bit closer to the character than I would have liked. It zooms out during combat and I wish it would always use that angle. The combat controls really well and there's not trouble maneuvering anywhere you want. Camera is controlled with L and R to rotate it left and right. Pressing both buttons at once resets the camera behind you. The only thing I didn't like here was the goggles had to be brought up by the touch screen. I wish a button did this. Puzzles so far use the touch screen and control great.

Gameplay- I'm surprised this was as good as it was. For the most part so far, it's you basic 3D action platformer. Move around, jump across gaps, scale up pipes, and sometimes fight mechanical enemies with your electric whip. The only problem I have is that the game is way too easy. I'm not even trying very hard and still haven't died. Combat is as simple as tapping the attack button. It looks and works well, but is too easy. Good thing the control is nice. Everything is smooth and intuitive. The touch screen puzzles are pretty fun. You're supposed to slide cubes into the right position while also completing a circuit. Nice little touch. And you fly friend can conduct reconnaissance missions and open locks. It's a fun game, and surprisingly good for a movie game, but way too easy. Kids will eat it up.

I have only beaten a few levels, but have a good idea of what the game is like. It's one of the better recent movie games, despite being easy. Game looks and plays well for what it's worth. Kids will love this and perhaps some bored adults who want to kill some time. I don't know how well it follows the movie. Negatives are easiness, mediocre sound, and some minor bland environments. I'd give it a 7/10 overall. Not a bad effort on disney's part, but there are a lot better games.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah, it is not that bad, really. First, I was impressed with really good graphics. Very nicely done. I tried the PSP version as well, and my intuition tells me both versions use the same engine, just modified, given the developer company is the same. Nothing to really complain about here. Well, its not Phantom Hourglass or Avalon Code, but still. And there are really LOADS of videos. Kinda hard to imagine that in a DS game. And the quality is quite all right, with that new fancy Mobi Clip codec.

And it plays pretty good as well. Nice controls and not boring so far.

I definately agree with granville about the camera being too close and a little stiff, but its the only shortcoming I see so far apart from the limitations posed by following the movie plot.

Overall- 7.7/10 Very polished, very nice.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprising that the PSP is almost identical. That's something you almost never see. In fact, I've never seen it at all. Yeah, i looked at videos from the PSP version after playing the DS game. No difference in level structure at all. Same engine, same level design. Of course, the game looks a bit better on PSP and all dialog is voiced instead of just text, but the fact that they managed to make the game identical engine and level wise is amazing! I'd like to see DS developers try a bit harder in regards to multiplatform releases that get a DS version. I'm thinking the system doesn't get the credit it deserves technically speaking.

The console versions however, look completely different. Apparently, the DS and PSP versions are different games from the console ones. The PS3 one at least has a different opening level. Plays exactly the same though (literally exactly the same). Just different level design. They could have just used the same levels and we'd never have noticed any engine differences.

Yeah, the game is decent. I'll play it some more. Might even beat it for kicks. A nice game for a movie license. And a technically impressive one. Disney seems to know that the DS is a capable system. Meet the Robinsons is one of the best looking 3D games on it. Spectrobes 2 is nice as well.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
everythin here says it's a worthwhile game esp since the 3d is well done
try it for sure i will... actually i think the graphics were good 3d but they decided to make it look better and zoomed the camera to make it look better

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)