DS #3357: My World My Way (USA)

yagdub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Diosoth said:
A 15 year old with the body of a 25 year old... yeah, Japan's never drawn THOSE types of characters before...

watch some anime
tongue.gif
for first place Bleach with Orihime ;P

ofc you coultd say that as irony then i just didnt catch it
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty basic RPG fare. Like Rhapsody, it's probably perfect for the fledging RPGer. Looks good, plays pretty good so far, and it's got a good sense of humor. Fairly rudimentary, though -- almost homebrewish -- but that kinda adds to its charm, I suppose.

ryukyus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Art workis very nice, but it's a first person rpg which are not my thing, but yet still better than that dungeon lair thing, I'll play till I get bored.

LagunaCid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, call me whatever you want.
But I'm not prepared to ply an RPG with a spoiled princess as a main character.
Especially not in public

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Why is this game telling me I'm a young lady of 15? I mean, I can understand that the DS has no peripheral with which to invade people's privacy to tell them their accurate age and gender, but what lead them to that assumption?

Plus which I'm having a little trouble relating to the main character, what with being stranded in the economic class that has to juggle two full time jobs to make enough to pay rent.

So does this game ever let up on the latest Japanese trend to categorize characters into severe labels and then dictate what they want us to treat those labels as? I guess what I'm asking is, does this game remain superficial and stereotypical the whole way through, or do we get some pay off for the shameful constraining attitude the labeling process this game's storytelling has? That's a bit of a spoiler question, really, so there's no need to answer it yet, but I would enjoy this game moreso if we don't get assaulted with monarchy = ditzy/spoiled and NPCs = weak losers. It's just rather a negative in a detrimental way of approaching reality for the writers to include lines calling people we haven't met "too weak" or whatever. I guess that's asking a lot though from a game where the very first mission is to commit genocide.

This game sure came out pretty soon after Masters of the Monster Lair. I haven't had time to get to the third floor yet in that one. But anyways, onto this game. I'm afraid they have to lose points for the shop menu. That top screen goes completely unused, and the fact you can't see the effect of your merchandise in the shop is both poor salesmanship and very early 90s. The pathetic thing is, I get the feeling that the game designers will cite their games own words in case any gamers discover and point out any other flaws in their game. On the other hand, I don't think they will, since people will be paying money in order to own it.

Edit: Oh wait, on second thought I think the stat numbers turn red in the shops if they're an improvement. Pretty subtle, though odd they weren't consistent with the arrows in the equip menu.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The game is pretty silly, story wise but I'm enjoying how it plays....and as long as you dont mind a character where you roll your eyes at like every line she says, well it's a fun game.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
yup, definitely a Japanese animé game when the prince looks more feminine than the princess.

But he's so dreamy! Even if taking care of his hygiene and not looking like doughy meat does make him unmasculine and less of a hard-drinkin', wife-beatin', gun-totin' REAL man.

On another note, the music seems nice so far. At least the theme seems slightly more distinct than what you might usually end up with.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I am really digging the game. It feels like a satire of JRPG's in general, and makes many efforts in making fun of the genre. Personally I have always wanted an RPG that takes the piss out of the RPG genre. Kind of reminds me of what Slayers did to "swords and sorcery".

Also, kind of refreshing to play as another gender, and see an RPG story from a different perspective. I liked Rhapsody also, and didn't feel ashamed playing it, because of pre-conceived notions of what men should and shouldn't play.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
GreenBanana said:
Why is this game telling me I'm a young lady of 15? I mean, I can understand that the DS has no peripheral with which to invade people's privacy to tell them their accurate age and gender, but what lead them to that assumption?

Plus which I'm having a little trouble relating to the main character, what with being stranded in the economic class that has to juggle two full time jobs to make enough to pay rent.

So does this game ever let up on the latest Japanese trend to categorize characters into severe labels and then dictate what they want us to treat those labels as? I guess what I'm asking is, does this game remain superficial and stereotypical the whole way through, or do we get some pay off for the shameful constraining attitude the labeling process this game's storytelling has? That's a bit of a spoiler question, really, so there's no need to answer it yet, but I would enjoy this game moreso if we don't get assaulted with monarchy = ditzy/spoiled and NPCs = weak losers. It's just rather a negative in a detrimental way of approaching reality for the writers to include lines calling people we haven't met "too weak" or whatever. I guess that's asking a lot though from a game where the very first mission is to commit genocide.

This game sure came out pretty soon after Masters of the Monster Lair. I haven't had time to get to the third floor yet in that one. But anyways, onto this game. I'm afraid they have to lose points for the shop menu. That top screen goes completely unused, and the fact you can't see the effect of your merchandise in the shop is both poor salesmanship and very early 90s. The pathetic thing is, I get the feeling that the game designers will cite their games own words in case any gamers discover and point out any other flaws in their game. On the other hand, I don't think they will, since people will be paying money in order to own it.
I think you are looking WAY into the issue. The game says you're a 15 year old girl because it's telling you as if you were the actual character. It's not saying you, in real life, are a young 15 year old princess who is loaded with cash.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
War said:
GreenBanana said:

I think you are looking WAY into the issue. The game says you're a 15 year old girl because it's telling you as if you were the actual character. It's not saying you, in real life, are a young 15 year old princess who is loaded with cash.

Rofl
rofl2.gif

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreenBanana said:
I guess what I'm asking is, does this game remain superficial and stereotypical the whole way through, or do we get some pay off for the shameful constraining attitude the labeling process this game's storytelling has?

QUOTE(GreenBanana @ Feb 5 2009, 11:32 PM) ...a hard-drinkin', wife-beatin', gun-totin' REAL man.

I see what you did there...

Anyways. Atlus = Gold in my book. I will play this game. I'm a 28 year old guy who plays a DS in public, how much more "gay" can I get?

Kite Lanford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty hillarious on how you're able to shape each area.

The magic system is kinda unique is that Elise (Princess' default name if anyone cares) doesn't do the casting, but through her parrot. Consenquetly, she has to get hit by spells so the parrot can learn then.

The humor in the game reaches it's peak in terms of Fourth Wall breaking, where at times, Nero will ask you what monster to make the boss (or not use one at all) after Grass Town. I however wonder if it takes two playthoughs to fight every single boss.

The slime companion from "Master of the Monster Lair" returns, though a different color, with a few thigns not changing. It's still important to watch how you fight and how you plan growth though.

All and all, a good game and many more to follow, for all the humor it's good for.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/myworldmyway

4 reviews as of the time I'm making this post, 67% score.

RPG Fan said:
Clocking in at a measly 20 hours, with very little replay value, this is not a game that will be worth hard-earned money.

Wow, that's the most ridiculous negative comment. It's a game for a HAND-HELD. Most RPGs don't even last that long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?