DS #2596: N+ (USA)

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Not bad not bad but i can see my self getting sick of this game quite quickly, and unlike other puzzle games its not one you would want to come back to once you completed it or constantly got stuck on a very hard level.

Still been playing for a few hours today and enjoying so far :-) , graphics are not what this game is about though but great game play and it certainly delivers that.

Can anyone comment if the ds version is better or worse in gameplay/graphics and overall performance than the psp version?

paul

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
Meh, absolutely overhyped. Not that I expected any different from a flash game, though...

Agreed. I played a bit last night after hearing from a few friends "OMG N+ IS OUT"

I played the first few episodes or whatnot and found it to be decently fun, but not the 9/10 IGN gave it saying its one of the best games of the year for DS.
I'll give it another shot today before class

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's see IGN say that N+ is game of the year when they review KH 358/2 Days and some of September's games to come.

Still, major overhype, it's not as good as people say it is. Still, I reviewed it 6.0, and sincerely, that's what it deserves for terrible sound and repetitive game. Despite that, it's still a fun and enjoyable game to play once in a while.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not a bad game. I just can't tolerate playing it because the single thing I hate most in any video game is replaying something, and this game intends for you to replay missions until you get it just right. After I've jumped the same exact series of landmines five times to get to the part where I'm screwing up, only to die again, and then repeat from scratch, it gnaws at my brain and I have to drop it.

Critically, the much touted 'physics' are arbitrary. This guy can jump about half way from one side of the area to the other under the right conditions, yet gravity magically becomes a factor when he happens to fall some amount a'la Donkey Kong. Except unlike Donkey Kong, you can't ever really know just how far is acceptable and how much will make him explode and trigger a restart.

In a couple of the levels, the solution to pass some mines was to run slightly up a ramp, which somehow enables him to jump _higher_ than normal. There's no introduction to this, it defies explanation, and other such subtleties will present themselves throughout so that many obstacles can only be resolved through trial-and-error, and then we come back to replaying the same mission a dozen times or more just to figure out that one complication.

Challenge is good--tedium and repetition are bad. This is a mantra which the developers would do well to learn, but considering the ratings I don't expect gamers to be the ones to drill it into their heads. For some reason, this tripe actually appeals to some of them and they seem eager to forgive these critical flaws simply because the alternative is to go play Garfield's Funfest.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm just posting again to counteract all the 'nothing special' comments.

This game is for people who love good gameplay, everything about the controls are just perfect and don't take very long to master.
What's very cool is when you finish a level and end up impressing yourself by how well you did it; you can save the replay to watch again.

Sadly my wireless router is fucked so I won't be able to download any custom made levels, but at least I can still make my own.

I think I would call this my DS game of 2008, and I will be buying it.
Because as great as soul bubbles is, I doubt I'll replay it again, whereas I can see a lot of replay value in n+

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I laugh my ass off at the people that tap A constantly. Yes, it's bad menu design. But still, come on. It's their fault as well because they were impatient. Same goes for people that always ask what to do next in an RPG because they fucking SKIP all the text.

And about the IGN thing, yeah. I think the reviewer is biased on this one because while I do enjoy the flash and xbla versions (as I stated earlier, DS and PSP versions just don't feel right to me), I am well aware that it is no perfect game. Mainly because later stages may demand perfection from a player and throw everything but the kitchen sink at the ninja. The design requires death time and time again. But what can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment and the gameplay is fast paced if you can perform well.

Also, to those that haven't yet; Do yourselves a favour and turn off those "Plus" graphics!

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.TakaM said:
What's very cool is when you finish a level and end up impressing yourself by how well you did it; you can save the replay to watch again.
That seems an odd point to make, because for the life of me I can't discern exactly what qualifications make for a 'good job'.

After playing several levels, I managed to discover that collecting the little coins is actually a pointless exercise. They increase your time limit--which is plentiful already--and will otherwise only assist in getting you killed. And best that I can tell it doesn't actually log how many you accumulated anyway. So what other objective could there be? Replaying missions just to try to shave a few miliseconds off your previous score is for sad, lonely types with nothing better to do. So overall, beyond the satisfaction of completing a level I can't see 'how well you did' ever entering into it.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
You just have to be into speed runs I guess.

For example you don't have to collect every coin in mario games, but if you do- as fast as possible it makes for an impressive speed run

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
IDK, this game doesn't impress me abit, mostly since my A button is broke and it can activate by itself, so ya.... go figure....

And somehow, I can't jump as high as usual, although I already press the A button down, it cant jump high.

And I'm stuck at the level with slopes and mines, damn it, I turned off my DS after 10 times trying

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was jumping up the walls, and I jumped up so fast that I killed myself. I pushed the home button, then triangle and promptly deleted it off my psp after that.

whats the point of a ninja if he cant land without getting killed, or if he cant jump up a wall without killing himself? gets rid of any fun factor of trying to do stuff fast.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Love this game. What's the point in the coins? I'm collecting them all, but I missed a few in episode 6 and I dunno if it's worth going back for them.

EDIT: Never mind, should have read the thread.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why does the game play differ so much between the DS than the Flash version? The gravity is way too high on the DS version, and the controls are much more difficult to use. At the same time, the levels are much more simplistic than the Flash version. They could have done a lot better with the port, in my opinion. I can't see why it's getting such good reviews.

-Bri

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well Bri, it's because they're not comparing it to the Flash game, they're looking at it as its own game. I think you should do this as well. Yes, they have changed stuff in the DS release. Move on.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I hadn't played the Flash version until after I played N+ on the DS and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. The controls and physics really aren't very good. So I checked out the Flash version, and now I see what all the fuss was about. The Flash version is awesome. Surely they could have made the DS version closer to the Flash version.

It's not even that cool to see your limbs flop around on the DS when you die because the gravity is too high, whereas they bounce around a lot more on the Flash version. The levels on the DS version are also uninspired compared to those on the Flash version.

Anyway...just pointing out that the DS version is pretty disappointing in my opinion, and had I played the Flash version first it would have been moreso.

-Bri

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Private|Parts said:
Well Bri, it's because they're not comparing it to the Flash game, they're looking at it as its own game. I think you should do this as well. Yes, they have changed stuff in the DS release. Move on.
The majority of reviews for sequels make the fact that it must be better than the previous, they should however reveiw the game as if its its own game.

Menacie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone got save problems with the AceKard?

Saves fine, reload the game, save gone.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O