Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
i somehow don't like that cover... they turned poor spyro into a pseudo-anthro >.=.O (and the wings are much too large compared to the original one)

i've seen once a picture having the touch screen below and i had the impression they used it to cast some spells depending on what you draw there. somebody can confirm this?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there are 5 spells you can cast.
So far, I only have gotten 3:
Lightning bolt shape - Cast lightning on nearby enemies
Equals sign - Lets you move objects blocking your path
Triangle - Let's you warp to any warp pad you've uncovered in the world (don't have to stand on one to warp though)

I think my game is screwed up. I don't know what else to do. I have gotten both relics now and the game put them in this door, but it doesn't do anything...

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, update!

AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Many are having problems with a door not opening in the game (including me
frown.gif
) The only way so far to fix this is to start a new game and hope it doesn't happen again. All I can get out of VU is that I need to check their forums for a possible answer (I checked, there are a whole 6 topics with about 3 different people who seem like they are 7).

This game was not ready to be released yet!

Sinic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey jumpman17 can you post a link to the forums where the people talk about the problem?

Edit: Nevermind I found it. Man keep us posted on this. This truely sucks. I remember all the bitching about Madden 06 and now this. It's called testing!

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Okay, update!

AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Many are having problems with a door not opening in the game (including me
frown.gif
) The only way so far to fix this is to start a new game and hope ot doesn't happen again. All I can get out of VU is that I need to check their forums for a possible answer (I checked, there are a whole 6 topics with about 3 different people who seem like they are 7).

This game was not ready to be released yet!
that's why i prefer games like Deus-Ex where there is always more than one way to solve a problem. even if one is stuck and broken you can choice a different way and proceed.

that is though really something i don't like, and i speak now as a hacker. releasing unfinished products to the crowd is a real crime unless it's free-software where this is part of the show. they should be ashamed. if it is on pc no problem, hack in a patch and go but a game on a ROM (read-only!!) cartridge this is kinda stupid. no patches, no solution. they should really be ashamed.

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I sent them another e-mail with a link to the GameFAQs topic and telling them that I am still stuck at this door despite their 'helpful' hint of trying to check forums I've already been too. I'm a little POed because I spent $30 on this game that should never have been released in this current form.

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IGN has their review of Spyro up: http://ds.ign.com/articles/662/662183p1.html

I must say, I agree almost 100% with this review. Well, up until the freaking game killing door, now it's a 0 in my book.

QUOTE said:
Spyro: Shadow Legacy
The dragon may be cute, but this DS game is nasty.
by Craig Harris

October 27, 2005 - It's one thing to be disheartened when a development team repackages a Game Boy Advance title as a Nintendo DS game, but it's almost even more disheartening when a development team creates an original game that's far worse than versions created on the GBA. Spyro: Shadow Legacy is a unique game in the Vivendi Universal franchise that continues the exploits of the little purple dragon, but this adventure is so bad that the much more limiting titles released on the GBA are far more fun and fulfilling, and clearly had more time to bake in the development oven. This game is sluggish and chuggy, and, by a far margin, the worst entry in the Spyro series.

Spyro the Dragon began its life on the original PlayStation system as a really excellent collect-a-thon platformer featuring an adorable purple dragon that's small in stature but big in heart. The game and character were strong enough to move through several console sequels, and eventually end up in an original set of Game Boy Advance adventures developed by Digital Eclipse. These isometric designs were tailored for the GBA's more limited hardware, but even with the limitations the games were fun and faithful to the original 3D platformers.

Though there hasn't been a real Spyro adventure for more than a couple of years, Sierra feels that the dragon has some legs for an original dual-screen adventure. Amaze Entertainment, already a key player in the handheld realm, went to work on a new design that combines Spyro action elements with a much more RPG flair. Its action is similar to Castlevania in the sense that Spyro can attack with an array of moves that whittle down enemies' hitpoints. He can also upgrade his abilities by leveling up with experience points earned by enemies he takes out, as well as scoring and equipping special medallions acquired throughout the quest.

The game's beginning shows some of the ineptness in the game's design: the adventure begins with a cutscene that starts with storybook text on the upper screen. What does the lower screen display? Uglier subtitles that read out the exactly the same thing as the upper screen text. If that's not brilliant use of the second screen…

But it would be unfair to pick apart one silly little instance of Spyro and say it's a bad game. But luckily, the rest of the package is just as sloppy as the game's intro. While many of the visual elements -- like wonderfully rendered backgrounds and nicely modeled 3D sprites -- get a decent thumbs up, any work that went into them is destroyed by an engine that can't handle displaying them. Scrolling is absurdly slow and choppy with some serious first-generation sprite glitching all over the place.

The programming that handles the height mapping on the flat 2D background is inconsistent and has severe overlapping issues in places. And the attack collision between Spyro and the variety of enemies is wonky at best -- players sometimes connect and sometimes miss with no rhyme or reason, and they can even attack through walls and obstacles because of the poor handling. It's difficult to tell which ledges are accessible and which are not due to the drawn perspective as well as the lousy invisible walls mapped to them.

A lot of the engine issues can probably be attributed to an overambitious story that revolves around two versions of the same world. The adventure and most of the puzzles require Spyro to constantly leap back and forth between the real world and a shadow version of the same area in order to solve puzzles and earn experience. Because players swap between these realms on-the-fly, the game has to retain two versions of the area in the limited memory of the Nintendo DS system. The engine is clearly being overtaxed.

But this is only part of the problem. The game's scripting is horrible, with sloppy trigger points that interrupt the action at the most awkward of moments. The button mapping wasn't thought out very well, either; the X button is used for opening doors, swapping between realms, and attacking enemies, so there will be times where players will activate a realm swap or a trigger point while trying to take out an enemy.

The secondary portion of the screen is used for inventory display and selection, so it's utilized modestly for most of the game. But then the team decide to also use it for some clearly unnecessary character and drawing recognition for specific tasks. Want to teleport to another part of the map? Draw a triangle to pull up the map. Need to move an item out of the way? Jot down an equals sign. It's a control element that's completely unnecessary and draws too much attention to itself as a "what are we going to do with the touchscreen?" moment in the design pitch. Even if the development team didn't intend it to, Spyro: Shadow Legacy screams "B title" all the way through.

Closing Comments
I'm a pretty decent fan of the Spyro series, having endured the cute purple guy on the PSX and the Game Boy Advance. The Nintendo DS adventure is an enormous let down, both as a Spyro game and as a Nintendo DS development. Even if the engine was tighter and had all its glitches ironed out the adventure doesn't get creative enough; the idea of the double realms is a good start but it's hardly utilized to its potential. But the horrible production values are Spyro: Shadow Legacy's real killer.

4.0Â Presentation
The story, what little there is, is incredibly difficult to follow due to bland, boring still screens with ugly text that occasionaly doesn't even fit in the box.
5.5Â Graphics
Beautiful backgrounds and nicely animated 3D characters are destroyed by a chugging engine that can't handle what's being thrown at it.
7.0Â Sound
The game's musician can rest assured that his wonderful background tunes accompany an awful adventure.
3.5Â Gameplay
Slow and sluggish action with really sloppy, loose and lazy collision handling. It feels very glitchy and unfinished.
6.0Â Lasting Appeal
The game's repetitive but lengthy. Whether or not you have the patience to go through this uninteresting adventure, though...
4.0Â OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Sinic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you just saved some people about 40$

I am a spyro fan as well ... having played mostly on the ps1. I was curious about this title but now I know that this one will stay on the shelf.

jumpman17

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, these guys are SO helpful!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Yep, I give up. Time to throw this game in the corner, there's no way I'm playing through this crap game again knowing that there is a possibility of the door still not opening. I think this game just took the place of Ping Pals as worst DS game ever.

jumpman17 said:
Since there is no Shadow Legacy option, I chose Hero's Tail since it's the second newest Spyro. I'm at the beach area with the sealed door where the boat is stuck in the ice. I have collected both relics and the game has placed them in the door for me. It said that was all I needed to open the door, but no X Open option is showing. I can see the relics in the door, but I cannot get in. Am I missing something. Others have told me that it should open, and others have told me they too are stuck with an un-opening door. What do I do to get inside?

VU said:
Hello ,
Thank you for contacting Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support.

My name is Althaf. I am a Technical Support Engineer and will be interacting with you on the issue you are experiencing.

As I understand from reading your mail that you are unable to open the door while playing the game "Spyro: Shadow Legacy".

From the symptoms mentioned in the case, it appears to be a game play issue.
Vivendi Games Technical Support is available to help you resolve technical problems with setup, errors encountered while launching or playing the game, display or sound issues.

We suggest you refer our online Forums at http://www.vugames.com/forum.do . Using the online forums, you can interact with other players online since there is a greater chance that many of them may have already come across the same difficulty in the game. Most of our customers were able to get the answers for their game play questions on forums.

You may also get help from the third party websites such as
www.gamefaqs.com

Please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance. You may access the technical support knowledge base at: http://support.vugames.com

Regards,

Althaf
Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support

jumpman17 said:
I have checked both of these forums, in fact, there is a topic at
GameFAQs about this problem
(http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928410&topic=24230976),
but no solution has yet risen. A few have been lucky and have gotten
the "X Open" to show up long enough for them to get inside. I have
been trying to get in for the last 3 days to no avail. Is there
anything I can do to fix this problem besides starting over and hoping
that it works this time?

VU
Hello,
Thank you for writing in.

I am sorry we do not have much information about functionality of the game. Vivendi Games Technical Support is available to help you resolve technical problems with setup, errors encountered while launching or playing the game, display or sound issues.
Please feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Althaf
Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30