drive rejecting discs

gorgyrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When I insert a wii game, the console ejects it.
I opened the drive and the issue is that the spindle won't go down. I have to press the middle pole of the drive to make it work.
Gamecube discs work fine.
The metallic top part of the drive is working, because it was tested in another drive.

Here's a video with the same problem. For him it just started working.

Any tips?

Reactions: Sonic3320

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, you could either get another drive or just bend the middle piece that makes pressure on the disc to fix your problem.

It will also reduce noise.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken the disc drive uses phillips screws, so it should be pretty straight forward, with the exception of the Tri-Wing screws holding the Wii's case.

Reactions: jeannotte

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try going crazy with WD-40 ;)
Just clean & dry up the drips/puddles before fully closing it up, & enjoy the smell of WD-40 for a while.

gorgyrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
After a lot of parts swapping, i found the culprit.
On the right side of the drive, there are four gears under a white plastic mechanism. It's the biggest one, the one closest to the belt.
I'll compare it later with a working one under the microscope. Under the naked eye it seem fine.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After a lot of parts swapping, i found the culprit.
On the right side of the drive, there are four gears under a white plastic mechanism. It's the biggest one, the one closest to the belt.
I'll compare it later with a working one under the microscope. Under the naked eye it seem fine.
If you find out what is the problem on the part please tell (and possibly upload a picture).

That video went nowhere. "It suddenly works again and I don't know why?!" Unsatisfactory for the viewer.
And then YouTube recommended me watching people polishing(?) discs with banana peels.

Slot-in drives are pretty complex from mechanical side, especially the Wii with the ability to center 8cm discs. Almost (not quite) as looking into a VHS recorder.

gorgyrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you find out what is the problem on the part please tell (and possibly upload a picture).

That video went nowhere. "It suddenly works again and I don't know why?!" Unsatisfactory for the viewer.
And then YouTube recommended me watching people polishing(?) discs with banana peels.

Slot-in drives are pretty complex from mechanical side, especially the Wii with the ability to center 8cm discs. Almost (not quite) as looking into a VHS recorder.
I don't know where to get a replacement gear.

Attachments

• 20230709_163736.jpg
    20230709_163736.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 0003.JPG
    0003.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0004.JPG
    0004.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 19

Sonic3320

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I opened the drive and the issue is that the spindle won't go down.

I had the same issue with discs being rejected multiple times.

Captura de tela 2023-07-09 144248.png

I slightly bent this piece to force the spindle to be slightly closer to the disk and it seems that it worked. I thought it was the rubber belt since many DVD drives get faulty when the belt is worn out but mine was good. I think that the top spindle magnet was having trouble getting closer to the bottom motor, with the entire outer shell of the console being metal.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

gorgyrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I had the same issue with discs being rejected multiple times.

View attachment 382490
I slightly bent this piece to force the spindle to be slightly closer to the disk and it seems that it worked. I thought it was the rubber belt since many DVD drives get faulty when the belt is worn out but mine was good. I think that the top spindle magnet was having trouble getting closer to the bottom motor, with the entire outer shell of the console being metal.
I,ve tried that but it didn't work for me

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know where to get a replacement gear.
Oh, looks like wear and tear... you should be able to find spare plastic gears in old DVDs

I still have bunch (literally bunch) of unused DVDs that might use later for spare parts.

Fortunately, I've rarely used my disc drive zince 2008 because again, softmod prevents wearing down physical parts, but that's just me.

You sure is that one gear?

gorgyrip

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, looks like wear and tear... you should be able to find spare plastic gears in old DVDs

I still have bunch (literally bunch) of unused DVDs that might use later for spare parts.

Fortunately, I've rarely used my disc drive zince 2008 because again, softmod prevents wearing down physical parts, but that's just me.

You sure is that one gear?
I had many pc cdroms, but i've throwed them a long time ago.
Yes, in my case it was that gear. I used one from a drive with the motherboard really corroded. But I plan to fix that, too, in the future.
This lot of consoles was beat up. I think the drive was opened by force to recover a forgotten disc...

Reactions: JuanMena

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try a very gentle manicure on the rough bits. Also, reposition the gear to different (or several) starting points/positions, & add a little sticky lubricant (goo).
Could also be more than one gear worn/damaged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto