Drive Board

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by melkor42x, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011

Drive Board by melkor42x at 7:25 PM (650 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. melkor42x
    OP

Newcomer melkor42x Member

United States
    I had taken my WII apart yesterday to check what was wrong with the SD reader and solved that issue. When I was putting it back together I broke the pins on the optical drive logic board and I need to buy a replacement for it. Can anyone recommend any online shop to get a replacement for it to ship to the U.S.

2. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  3. melkor42x
    OP

United States
    I don't like or trust ebay all that much. If I remember correctly don't the usb loaders support external dvd drives. I still have a GDRH10N just gathering dust in my closet and thought that I could get an enclosure and just hook it up. I also saw a sundriver for about $40 but I'm not sure how the gamecube supprt is. I still play some of my gamecube discs a lot.

4. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    A sundriver gamecube support should be the same as any general modchip method which is fine. Supports all gamecube games, a few have trouble with audio though.

Sorry that you don't like ebay, but thats the best place to get one really. You can probably get them at dealextreme but I'm not sure. If you want it to play backups then you'll need to get an older drive board, not the newer d3, d3-2, d4 boards.

And why would you hook up an external dvd drive when you can just hook up a hard drive? discs aren't the future, lol.
    For gamecube though, yeah discs are best. What exactly did you do to the old board? I took apart hundreds of wiis and never broke a board just taking the wii apart, I can't imagine what you did? It may be fixable

5. melkor42x
    OP

United States
    When I was hooking up the power to the logic board it was at a slight angle and broke two of the pins.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Donkey Plonk

United Kingdom
    Which ones, can't see whats broke from that pic?
    If you're talking about the big blob points that lead to the laser motor, those are just solder points, they can easily be resoldered and reconnected to the laser motor.

If you're talking about the connector above, the white one, don't see how you could really damage the pins but if you did, it could still possibly be fixable, but I really need a better picture of the damage mate.

Get the macro setting to on on your camera if you have one, that will enable you to take very close pics so you can show the damage properly. Give me a pic something akin to this on the damage area and I'll let you know what to do.
    [​IMG]