Dreamcast emulation

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by canariobr, Oct 30, 2015.

1. canariobr
    OP

canariobr GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I want to play some DC games, but the 2 main emulators (nullDC and Chankast) last time I tried, was a bit confusing. Which one do you recommend?

Also, both are dead for years, right? I cant understand why devs didnt share their source code.

2. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    I recommend an awesome emulator called Reicast its a great emulator for the Android platform and simple to use :D

Here's a link: http://reicast.com/

canariobr likes this.
  3. canariobr
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Brazil
    yes, I already used it. very good indeed. but this time I wanted to play on my computer.

I was told few minutes ago in another forum that there is a Windows version of it. I will try it.

thanks for the tip

4. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    Just buy the console. All the games can be burnt very easily with no mod chip. Emulators for the DC are redundant because of this reason.

5. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    That's true too lol I forgot about that lol

6. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Plus with GD-ROM drive emulation being a thing for a real dreamcast console you won't have to burn disc anymore once the kinks are all worked out for the device.

canariobr likes this.
  7. canariobr
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I've been considering it too but already got too many consoles here (ps2, n64, ps3, ps4, snes, wii and soon wii u) so I prefer not have one more console by now

Last edited by canariobr, Oct 30, 2015
  8. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Hmm. Your best bet atm then is either the final release of NullDC 1.0.4 if you havent tried that version of the emulator yet or the newest version of Demul since that is still being worked on.

canariobr likes this.
  9. canariobr
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Just finished downloading Demul. Could not make it work yet, got an error message for some missing files.
    Seems like DC emulation is still harder to config than the rest

10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States

This is the most recent version of a tutorial that i could find for the demul emulator. Hopefully this will help you out.

11. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I've never actually used a DC emu because I own the console(hope it doesn't break) but one cool thing about some of the DC emus is that they can emulate the Naomi and I think even Naomi 2 HW in some cases which the DC is just a slightly downgraded version of.(Naomi 1 I mean) I know nothing about specific emus but I hope you change your mind about buying a DC. Burning and playing games is so easy and there's nothing quite like playing on real HW.

canariobr likes this.
  12. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    I would say to get the newest version of NullDC (being my DC emu of choice) it plays everything I've thrown at it plus it runs Naomi roms, playing arcade CVS2 and Guilty Gear is so much fun ^_^

canariobr likes this.
  13. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    I have a burned copy of CVS2 and it runs perfectly. Does the original naomi version look any better or is the JP DC port identical like I assume it is? It's not a game that pushes the naomi HW particularly hard as far as I can tell so I doubt any downgrades had to be made, but I'm curious if there are any differences. Also fuck God Rugal and Shin Akuma/Gouki. Clearly Capcom took a page out of SNK's cheap boss playbook with those 2 assholes but it's worth the frustration to unlock them.(although they take like 2x damage when you use them)

canariobr likes this.
  14. canariobr
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Brazil
    actually I sold my dreamcast console 2 ys ago because I played many burned discs and it was making so much noise. i paid to fix it before and decided to sell because i thought it was just a matter of time to happen again.

I got nulldc and it worked well here. i used my ps4 gamepad and it was great. my past experiences with dc emu werent good but now my system specs could handle it better. my favorite dc game is spawn in demons hand, I will try it soon.