Dragon Quest VIII (De, En, Es, Fr, It) v0.9.6

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you guys and sorry for the late response. Had a tough time the past two weeks.

Wouldn't porting your current work to work with Citra fix the texture duplication/unreplaced textures issue?

Is the 3DS version inferior in some way to the PS2 version?

There is a patch to fix some things like the music not being orchestrated and the censorship on the 3DS, fixing those issues

I could help port the textures since I've been meaning to replay DQ8.

Not sure, Citra might have other issues instead. And tbh we didn't have that issue, if Stenzek wouldn't make such a big deal of the wildcard feature (a feature that other emulators already have for years).

I also never played the 3DS version, but I heard the PS2 version was better. Higher draw distance and not so oversaturrated like the 3DS version. I personally don't like the very simplified menu in the 3DS version either. It's sad because of the bonus content though.

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Panda_Venom

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thank you guys and sorry for the late response. Had a tough time the past two weeks.

Not sure, Citra might have other issues instead. And tbh we didn't have that issue, if Stenzek wouldn't make such a big deal of the wildcard feature (a feature that other emulators already have for years).

I also never played the 3DS version, but I heard the PS2 version was better. Higher draw distance and not so oversaturrated like the 3DS version. I personally don't like the very simplified menu in the 3DS version either. It's sad because of the bonus content though.

Stenzek doesn't want to add wildcard feature or can not?

Ammacca

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, i have a problem with my version, in both eng or it version i cannot load the texture for text box and menu(item are loaded but pg and other thing not).
you have a solution, because i checked both file and setting, and i don't know what is wrong

thx for the help

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hi, i have a problem with my version, in both eng or it version i cannot load the texture for text box and menu(item are loaded but pg and other thing not).
you have a solution, because i checked both file and setting, and i don't know what is wrong

thx for the help

Yea, I have read your comment on github before you deleted it. I can't reproduce your issue though. The screenshots that you posted look normal for me:

Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King_SLES-53974_20230425122104.png

Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King_SLES-53974_20230425123058.png

Except that part of the UI is not replaced (the terms Oggetti etc.). This is caused by a changing CLUT hash and is exactly the reason, why we want the wildcard feature.

But your issue was different. Do you use the latest pcsx2 version? And please try disabling "Manual hardware fixes".

Reactions: Ammacca

Ammacca

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yea, I have read your comment on github before you deleted it. I can't reproduce your issue though. The screenshots that you posted look normal for me:

View attachment 366981

View attachment 366982

Except that part of the UI is not replaced (the terms Oggetti etc.). This is caused by a changing CLUT hash and is exactly the reason, why we want the wildcard feature.

But your issue was different. Do you use the latest pcsx2 version? And please try disabling "Manual hardware fixes".
thx for the helping, i correct this problem set texture filtering = bilinear forced and wild arms hack on up

LuismaSP89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry, but seems this pack doesn't work anymore on the newer versions of PCSX2. Is there any plans to update it?

Thanks for your great job!

LuismaSP89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just tested it with the latest pcsx2 build and it works just fine for me :unsure:
Oh? really strange then. I tested this past saturday many times with the latest nightly build and no texture was loaded. I'll try later with the newer nighlty and see.

Thanks for checking :)

LuismaSP89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just tested it with the latest pcsx2 build and it works just fine for me :unsure:
Sorry, you were right. Seems that the "preload textures" was the problem. I don't know why a feature made for powerful devices are worse if it's enabled. Because it was loading only some textures but not all. Disabled this option and now every texture is loaded properly.

Thanks again!

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, you were right. Seems that the "preload textures" was the problem. I don't know why a feature made for powerful devices are worse if it's enabled. Because it was loading only some textures but not all. Disabled this option and now every texture is loaded properly.

Thanks again!

Yea, I know what you mean. Preloading textures works perfectly fine in Dolphin. Don't know what they did there in pcsx2

Reactions: c-65

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I have the USA version can i just rename the folder to SLUS-numbers instead of SLES?

You can do this, but from my experience only part of the textures are replaced then. There will still be a bunch of textures with different file names.

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updated to v0.9.4

As always remove your old textures folder before updating since the folder structure has changed.

kupo-on-gbatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updated to v0.9.5

Changes in v0.9.4:

• Some textures with short file names could not be loaded in the past. Due to an update in pcsx2 they will now load, but they got new file names. In v0.9.3 of this texture pack textures with obsolete file names have been removed, textures with new file names have been added
  • Some gaps in landscape from the last update have been closed
  • A cloud texture with seams and textures with barely visible stars in the sky have been fixed
  • Road textures on the 2nd continent have been reworked
  • Ocean looks a bit more detailed now and better fits with the rest
  • The Sony and Playstation logos which you can see if you disabled "Fast Boot" in the pcsx2 settings are now in HD

Changes in v0.9.5:

• Font has been remade. It's now slightly wider than before and is closer to the original (see screenshot below)
  • Minor UI clean-ups
  • A first town update with 200+ manual edited ground and wall textures has been released. Note: There are still many tilesets with ground and wall textures left. I just started with single tile textures, because tilesets take much longer. However since the single tile textures cover a lot of space there should still be a noticable improvement in many places yet
  • Symlink scripts have been updated with new duplicates

The texture pack is getting bigger and bigger with each update, since I upscale most environment textures by a factor of x8. If I ever finish this pack, I might provide a lite version aswell

1a.png1b.png
2a.png2b.png
3a.png3b.png
4a.png4b.png
6a.png6b.png
7a.png7b.png
8a.png8b.png
9a.png9b.png
10a.png10b.png
11a.png11b.png

Last edited by kupo-on-gbatem,

Site & Scene News