DPG Format too large?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Inunah, Apr 25, 2010.

Apr 25, 2010

DPG Format too large? by Inunah at 5:00 AM (1,302 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Inunah
    OP

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I'm trying to convert some movies so I can play them through moonshell or something, and I hear only DPG is a compatible video format... So I go looking for those.

All of the movies i've been finding are over 500mb.... But that's too big.

How do I get a smaller sized .dpg file of movies like Avatar or Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? I want at least 3-5 movies on my DS at a time even with the 2GB Micro SD card I have being almost/mostly full.

2. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    be glad. For a 700mb xvid mpeg4 with mp3 192 audio stream to be converted into dpg mpeg2 with wav (i think), 500mb is good quality enough.

3. Inunah
    OP

United States
    ......But I need it under 100mb. And in a good enough quality to at least be watchable.

EDIT: WTF? HD BluRay quality The Blind Side gets around 465mb yet Regular DVD quality Avatar gets around 550?????? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC THERE!!! (This is according to what i'm seeing on gbatmw.net)

4. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    You can't. Smallest I've seen is maybe around 300MB? And for an almost/full DS, you aren't going to fit 3-5 movies. Especially ones in really good quality (or long/high quality ones like Avatar) Either get a bigger sized SD card, or stop demanding something that can't be done.

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Get to testing out the limits of your dissatisfaction, once there you must live with the quality (of course this means converting it yourself).

Also I believe a majority of the stuff you find at gbatmw.net are .dpg2, so personally converting is always good.

6. Inunah
    OP

United States
    I don't care for quality, as long as it's watchable and any subtitles it includes are readable.....

Also, smallest is around 179mb for a DVD rip with subs of Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. Saw it on GBATMW. Totally worth downloading. XD

NEVERMIND WHAT WAS HERE. IT WAS DUMB, BECAUSE I CAN'T EVEN PRUNE ENOUGH TO GET 600MB FREE.

But seriously, if I can get the 581mb movie on it alone, that'll be awesome since I haven't seen Avatar yet and .dpg is the best I can find for free and am able to watch it offline. XD

Also, I have to admit that I don't yet have any version of Moonshell on my R4 yet....... Ehehehehe..... [​IMG]
    And i've never used Moonshell in my life......

I'm supposing i'll need Moonshell2 and an ass load of space.... I'll go look right now, I guess....

7. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    1. Yes, lol. First get Moonshell2! You kind of need that...to watch videos with.. It's not very hard to use and can be found here on Filetrip:
    http://filetrip.net/f9730-MoonShell-2-10-S...Package%29.html (it's 38MB so not THAT bad)
    2. Well I wouldn't know if it's possible since you didn't really say how much space you have. But yeah, you're probably going to have to seed out a few games.. a 'few' being an understatement (if your SD is as full as you say it is)
    3. Hrm, I wouldn't really suggest watching Avatar on your DS, since it is so much more suited for a big screen with all the sound effects and stuff. But I guess if you aren't willing to use torrents or anything, then that would be your best bet. It is SO MUCH MOAR NICER LOOKING on a BIGGER screen though. Trust. You'll hardly be able to see the details!
    4. Quality and watchable kind of go hand in hand... If it's bad quality, it won't be very watchable. And subtitles are so hard to read on the DS...

8. Inunah
    OP

United States
    I can't do torrents. A movie filesize as big as Avatar's would take at least three weeks nonstop open limewire and constant slowdown to even get 50% in. And my computer's a fast mofo.

(BTW, with #2 I had to delete a little more than half of my games (GBA and DS, not NES or GBC/GB or homebrew, though I did get rid of some of those...
    Sad, isn't it?)

9. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand
    Can't you just cut/paste some stuff to your pc, then watch your movies, then put your files back?

10. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    You are SERIOUSLY doing something wrong if downloading a movie via torrent or limewire would take you 3 weeks.

11. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    She has an R4 so I'm guessing she has 2gb of space.

If you really need to watch videos on a DS then I recommend you to:
    1. Get a newer flashcart with SDHC if you seriously want to watch a lot of videos.
    2. Get a SDHC msd to store all those damn videos.
    3. Get a DSi XL since the damn screen on a DSL is small and hard to read on. (optional)

@twiztidsinz 180mb for a 30 min show is about right. For anime I got about 140 or so mb an ep. Give or take a few mb.

12. jurassicplayer

United States
    Somehow I find it hard to understand how its so easy for me to fit the movies I have versus the movies you have. Most of my files rarely (if ever) break 400mb...Harry Potter 5 only takes about 340mb total...Thinking about it as if the average is about 300mb per movie, it should be easy to fit in 4 movies unless you are really packing in other stuff...there isn't really much of a point putting in a lot of roms anyways...(unless you play for like 20 minutes, get bored, swap games, and repeat cycle)

13. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    You convert it yourself or download it? I'm assuming that dpg2 isn't as effiecient as dpg4 then?

14. Inunah
    OP

United States
    Ehehehehe... I have lots of games because it takes only 5-10 minutes for me to get bored. Hell, I even use my mom's R4 for storing my games. O.o

If Harry Potter 5 didn't even break 400, then how the hell is the version of Avatar I downloaded almost 600mb?!

EDIT: D: Avatar had no sound. That's probably why it was so fricken huge. I found a screener version that was only around 250mb.

15. jurassicplayer

United States
    You should get an Acekard RPG. From the sounds of it, you could probably benefit from the thing only present in the Acekard RPG, the built-in 1GB NAND memory (this is really the only tempting thing about the Acekard RPG IMO).
    Anyways, converting ones own videos is always best because for better or worse, all blame is on the user xD.

16. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Acekard RPGs arn't manufactured anymore. Same goes with G6 Flash if you were gonna ask...

17. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand
    BTW, I just converted astro boy and Its like 300 something megabytes.. I watch animated movies and there usually like 200-300mb big..