DPG Downloader?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Whooosh, Oct 2, 2009.

Oct 2, 2009

DPG Downloader? by Whooosh at 10:01 PM (1,410 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Whooosh
    OP

Member Whooosh GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Im looking for a Homebrew app which allows me to download .dpg videos directly to my flashcart so i can play them with moonshell.

Ive looked around and havent seen any.

I know you cant link to roms so the name of the HB might be enough, i could find it myself then.

Please help.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For the record while we do not allow roms homebrew is fine.

Back on topic I do not know of any sites let alone worthwhile sites that do not split or obscure urls behind things which eliminates things like wget (some of the browsers have basic download support mind).
    Zip support on the DS is there but a bit flaky and even if you could get it there I am not sure how well it would handle split archives.

This leaves you with the various protocols which are even worse for anything big (DS is limited in wifi speed remember).
    DSlinux would be my first port of call.
    You have basic SAMBA port from that which gives most network shares a good run for their money (not sure if you could do something from a VPN but I would not like to have a go)

After this is gets more complex
    Your have FTP servers that run on the DS (making your DS an FTP server), DSFTP being the primary one.
    FTP clients also exist in the form of file ninja and Lilou
    CLIRC supports DCC file sending (nowhere near maximum rate either)
    I have seen a few semi custom protocols running for homebrew.

We get the odd thread on related subjects (usually asking for the same thing but for roms/saves on their internal networks; external servers are but a port forward and maybe a trip to dyndns away and if you manage to find a server from somewhere else then it is equally simple) so I would suggest looking up them as this was from memory and I know I have overlooked loads.

Long story short: by all means do as you want but I would only use it for cases of terminal laziness, relying on this sort of thing for day to day use with the DS is sure to result in bashing your head against a wall in boredom and/or frustration.

3. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    A 6 minute video is like 12mbs. Cheatup downloads like 6mb Zips and unzips them. So downloading a 6 minute video would take 2 as long as downloading something with CheatUp, which is fast enough for the DS so speed wouldn't really be bad. Its just what site actually hosts DPGs?

4. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    you can use dpgenc to convert videos. but only avi and wmv. [i think]

5. Whooosh
    OP

Ireland
    I taught about using bunjallo as i think it has basic download compatibility and then finding an unzipper for ds but i find bunjallo frezes ALOT and i tried to download something on it before and it loast connection and got stuck so thats not an option.

I was quite impressed by the speed and usability of GameUP and am hoping there is something along those lines that downloads dpg's

(If there isnt i think its a good idea if there is a HB developer who wants to see what they can do with the idea)

6. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    DSOrganize doesn't freeze too much, and the download speeds are ok (for the DS, anyway) Also, Bunjalloo can unzip the files right after you download it. If you decide to use DSOrganize's web browser, you can use DScompress. (which you can download from the homebrew downloader in DSorganize)

7. Whooosh
    OP

Ireland
    Sounds good i used to have less problems with DSorganize's web browser but i have a dsi

And dsorganize doesnt work on dsi. IF anyone has a fix i'd love to hear but last time i looked there wasnt one

8. kirby145

Newcomer kirby145 Advanced Member

United States
    See bunjalloo is a great program and has a lot of capabilities.

For whatever reason, it freezes on sites it does not like. I got pretty frustrated at this... The developer is still working on it though.

And I heard a few mentions of a site it's something like GBA the movie way, or also the Moon Books Project, these sites hst a few DPG videos and books for moonshell.