Hacking Downloading ROMs (Not a question)

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated at http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom it is illegal to download ROMs for games you own.

QUOTE said:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet

I thought I'd post this considering the fact that everyone says it is legal to download ROMs you own the cartridge for.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Old discussion, but I think no one on this forum gives a single fuck about it since the know the catchrate of piracy is like 0.0000001% or so...

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
kwartel said:
Old discussion, but I think no one on this forum gives a single fuck about it since the know the catchrate of piracy is like 0.0000001% or so...
yeah that's right
biggrin.gif

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
or when they get a pirate he have often saved so much money on not being the games that he easily can pay the bill
tongue.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
CrimzonEyed said:
or when they get a pirate he have often saved so much money on not being the games that he easily can pay the bill
tongue.gif
So true, a pirate will save as much money as they would spend, simple.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
gifi4 said:
CrimzonEyed said:
tongue.gif
mellow.gif
I pirate mostly for the lack of money...

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
kwartel said:
gifi4 said:
CrimzonEyed said:
tongue.gif
mellow.gif
I pirate mostly for the lack of money...
So do I, but what I'm saying is that, If some poor guy who was working at a good job but spent all his money on games, started pirating them instead, then he would keep money (after bills etc.) and be able to pay a fine if he received one.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pfff, objection. :3

What if, say, a guy receives 10$ a month - not counting the money spent on food etc.
(It's just an example, mind you.).
A game costs 5$ (Example!), meaning that he could buy two games a month.
Let's say he starts pirating games: 10$ won't be spent on games every month.
Let's say that he gets caught after ten months. Money saved after ten months: 10$ * 10 = 100$. (I feel so smart. :3)
However, he's pirated 50 games! (0_o) -> 5$ * 50 = 250$
Meaning that, if he would have to pay for every game he's pirated, he wouldn't have enough.
-> 100$ - 250$ = -150$ = Negative.

Also, though I might be wrong, if you get caught, you might have to pay an extra amount of money on top of the price of the games you've already pirated.
Let's say that extra fine is 50$.
-> He'd be fined for 300$, while he's only saved up 100$.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding this situation, I don't see how this guy would be able to pay the fine.
Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

(Yes, the prices are ridiculous. In reality, it'll all be much more expensive, but this is just for the sake of keeping it simple.)

Note that this is only the case if he pirates more games than he could have bought.
Ofcourse, if he's got loads and loads of money, he could pirate whatever amount of games he'd want, and he'd still be able to pay the fine.

However, if the "Fine on top of the prices of the pirated games" exists:
-> Prices of the games pirated = Money saved (Naturally.)
So, what he'd have to pay if he were to get caught would be exactly what he'd have saved up.
If you take into account the aforementioned fine:
-> Fine (Prices of the games pirated + extra fine) > Money saved.

So, in the end, he'd either end up with no more money than he would have if he had bought every game,
or he would end up with even less.
He can't 'win'.

Note that this is only the case if he actually gets caught. (Duh.)
There is an extremely small chance of this happening, so you shouldn't worry.
Still, if it were to happen, you wouldn't have made any profit at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free