4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anybody tested whether wi-fi (online) play works?
And also, is it possible for just a firmware upgrade to fix the download play problem, or is it simply the hardware which cannot support it?

Thanks, these are the only things i'm worrying about atm.

glitchbit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
online play has not been an issue. Nor do I think it ever was?

download play is tricky, read the review. Apparently some work some don't.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering, are download play issues even capable of being fixed? Or is it just something in the actual chip which cant be resolved

Hairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the download play issues can be fixed with further firmware upgrades. At least that was implied in the review
smile.gif

bajibbles

Ragnafreak
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
is download play just when your cart has to transfer data to a cart with no card? if im playing MKDS dl play and it doesnt work (just an example dont know whether or not it does), but if im playing vs someone else with a cart will it work okay?

about my only issue with this cart, GUI is hardly a permanent issue and the nature of homebrew suggests that if people use this cart it will become compatible.

smile.gif

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
download play is when you transfer to another ds which doesn't have the game. if you're playing with someone who also has the game it will work fine.

glitchbit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dunno if any of yall are familar with MD5 checksums but it is my understanding that download play does something similar and with these devices the rom is either patched or patched on the fly which changes its file size and/or the order of the bits thus changing the checksum. When the download is complete on the DS that does not have the game it then verifies that the checksum of whatever matches. And that is when it gets trippy, the DS realizes that its Downloaded file does not match the checksum number it is supose, it is off meaning the DS thinks the wireless download became corrupted or did not finish properly.

That is why if both own the game their is no issue, it does not go through that. The only fix I could see is if some how the firmware injects the correct checksum value or patches the roms on the fly in such a way as to not affect the checksum. It is evident that 1st party titles straight from Nintendo are the most affected by this most likely because they follow everything by the books but other developers may not have done it right and might have skipped this safety check of making sure the file downloaded correctly. It would seem this is just a way to make sure the file downloaded properly and was not meant as a way of sercurity or to prevent this from working. An added unintentional bonus for nintendo though.

brywalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's not so much an issue if you get down to it. If you play with someone often enough, get 2 R4DS's. They are so freaking cheap!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the download play issues can be fixed with further firmware upgrades. At least that was implied in the review
smile.gif
I've been talking to the R4 Team and they actually told me their actively working on download play and hope to have some more games supported in the English 1.05 that will be released in the next couple of weeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks