Tutorial  Updated

Downgrade 3DS with sysUpdater

EDIT: This tutorial maybe outdated, technically it still work but please use Plailect's Guide, it covers even more things:

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

EDIT: MANY USERS ALREADY BRICKED THEIR DEVICE, SO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE WHAT TO DO, THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. WITHOUT A HARDMOD AND A NAND BACKUP A BRICK IS PERMANENT!!!

I'm doing this tutorial quickly only because we don't want to answer all "How to downgrade" question-threads seperately.

All credits belongs to TuxSH, Jason Dellaluce, Steveice10 (and some other, don't know who else right know)

KEEP IN MIND: BRICKS CAN HAPPEN AND HAPPENED TO SOME USERS!!! NO WARRANTY FOR A SUCCESSFUL DOWNGRADE!

1. You need a 3DS with any hax installed, if you have non, use Browserhax (http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php) by yellows8 or menuhax. And of course, at least boot.3dsx in SD card root.

2. Download sysupdater and, unzip it and copy it to sd card:/3ds/ (if it does not exist, just create it...)
Mirror: https://mega.nz/#!JE1R3RhQ!MqY_OTyYrVM_DMOltiDfaZvTGZ8gCoUcATmOYEimM-U

3. You will need a complete firmware package of your desired Firmware. I recommend 9.2.0-20E/U/J.
Where do you get this package you ask? Well, Nintendo deleted all titles from their server older than 9.9.0-X, so you have to google it. I will help you to google it: http://bfy.tw/3Xqo

Cha0s Em3rald made MD5 checksum's for 9.2.0-20E/U/J N3ds/O3DS, check archive's checksum before using it! https://gbatemp.net/threads/md5-checksums-crc-for-all-9-2-update-packs.408114/

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title from the download package in order to not get bricked! Do NOT install it!

4. Copy all firmware title .cia on SD Card:/update/

5. Remove smea's DNS, in case of unsuccessfull downgrade, you need in that case to start 3DS in Recovery mode to update and repair your system.

6. Start 3DS and go into Homebrewlauncher.

7. Start sysupdater

8. Wait for application to be ready. (ca. 1-5min)

9. Press Y to downgrade

10. Wait and pray until "Succeed. Reboot in 10 sec"

11. Done - Downgrade is (hopefully) complete!

I recommend to create an EmuNAND after downgrading and using a cfw Loader, like cakesFW or rxTools.

Q: Help! I have a blackscreen after the reboot!!!
A: Unplug SD Card, reboot. I think some SD data can't aren't compatible with downgraded titles, so delete your current "Nintendo 3DS" folder on SD card, if needed.

If it still doesn't boot, try to get into recovery mode, by pressing Power-Button to boot while holding L+R+Up+A, update and try again.

Q: sysupdater crashes/won't start/freeze.
A: (Hold L+R+DpadDown+B to return to Homebrew Launcher, then) start/reboot again. Some users needed over 30 attempts.
Try another hax; I used menuhax to start ctr boot manager.
TuxSH wrote that it can raise succeed boot of sysupdater if you started 3DS-FTP before and return with L+R+Down+B, then start sysUpdater

Alternative Way:
1. Backup/delete your boot.3dsx in sd root
2. Copy "sysUpdater.3dsx" to root and rename it into "boot.3dsx"
3. Plug SD card in and start hax (recommended: Menuhax)
4. *hax will load directly sysUpdater.

Q: What firmwares can be downgraded?
A: All firmwares up to newesest (10.3) can be downgraded. New 3DS is not confirmed because of no testing by TuxSH, but many users already tried and successfully downgraded their N3DS.

Q: I have an 2DS, which Firmware do I need?
A: Firmware for Old 3DS. MSET for 3DS can wants to move 3d slider after formating - you need to install only Firmware/MSET that was supported by 2DS, so NO 4.5! O3DS 9.2.0-20E should be fine, but not confirmed.

Q: It won't reboot after the finished downgrade.
A: What I did: Waited 10 minutes, then I powered it off. Downgrade suceed. You don't have another choice anyway.

Last edited by artur3004,

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I think you misread that whole sentence.. His was a N3ds xl that came on factory 9.0. I was trying to downgrade him to 9.2 from 10.3. Needless to say we fixed the problem. His sd card was corrupt and had to go through a 4 hour long restore process. But I finally got him downgraded earlier today. Too bad after formatting emunand browserhax becomes un-usable :/
Ok, now understand, but next time you should be more explicit with what you have, for a better help from other users.
Now that you have CFW, maybe it could be better if you download the original version of SysUpdater (GitHub Page: https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases ) and install it on SysNAND, then, on SysNAND, with rxTools DevMode (YOU MUST BE SHURE THAT IS DEVMODE, recommend to download rxTools v2.5 from rxTools.net, here's the link: http://www.rxtools.net/php/downloads.php?dl=rxTools v2.5 , then, at the end of rxTools Menu, go to DevMode Option) Launch SysUpdater, (with SD: // updates/ "MD5 HASH CHECKED N3DS/3DS Ver. 9.2 CIA Files" , Like the last time) and Press X, when it finished, again go to DevMode on SysNAND and Launch SysUpdater, but this time Press Y. If on any of these options SysUpdater installed any file, this mean that the downgrade from 10.x to 9.2 haven't installed all the files from 9.2, but with this, it must be a fully 9.2 Firmware, hope it helps you both for any problems.
If that does't work, so then, maybe the first downgrade installed some corrupted CIA's, so... you could Downgrade to 9.0, and then Update again to 9.2 (Using this SysUpdater and SysNAND DevMode ALWAYS from now on, with any Update/Downgrade you do) to Fully Restore any corrupted file during the first downgrade, this will help a lot, it's like an Official Nintendo Update. Hope this help some people!! ;)

EDIT: IMPORTANT INFO

you should also note that it can be pasta mode

I already didn't know so much about new rxTools updates... but that's up to every user, for what I read, pasta mode have some, and maybe more disabled checks... so, DevMode from 2.5 works perfect, if more experienced user recommend pasta mode, it's ok, but as ALWAYS, TRY EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK!

pasta mode is what dev mode is called in newer rxtools builds.

Last edited by MAXLEMPIRA,
Reactions: nero99

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
you should also note that it can be pasta mode
I already didn't know so much about new rxTools updates... but that's up to every user, for what I read, pasta mode have some, and maybe more disabled checks... so, DevMode from 2.5 works perfect, if more experienced user recommend pasta mode, it's ok, but as ALWAYS, TRY EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK!

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pasta mode is what dev mode is called in newer rxtools builds.

D.Loro5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know why, once the downgrade is completed, restart the console to get the warning "There was an error. Hold the POWER button pressed ..."? After that, I tried to start without SD and continues with the same and the only thing left for me is to upgrade recovery 10.3. I tried yesterday 4 or 5 times (and again today) and always the same.

I have an Old 3DS.

Alex311360

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
alex311360.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
hey, just so you know, the folder isn't update, it's updates.

should change it in the OP so people get it right the first time.

about to change folder name -- will edit with how it went on my 10.3 O3DS.

edit: first try, worked flawlessly on 9.2.0-20U right now.

thanks a lot.

Last edited by Alex311360,

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I downgraded my 10.3.0-28U NN3DS NON-XL with this tutorial, however the browser wasn't downgraded. Any problems with this? Thank you.

Derpy Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm a total noob and I know almost nothing about hacking, downgrading or else my 3DS. That being said, what happens if my system gets bricked and what can I do to solve that? Also, after downgrading, am I able to connect to internet without any risk? Thanks in advance.

hudhair

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: MANY USERS ALREADY BRICKED THEIR DEVICE, SO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE WHAT TO DO, THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. WITHOUT A HARDMOD AND A NAND BACKUP A BRICK IS PERMANENT!!!

I'm doing this tutorial quickly only because we don't want to answer all "How to downgrade" question-threads seperately.

All credits belongs to TuxSH, Jason Dellaluce, Steveice10 (and some other, don't know who else right know)

KEEP IN MIND: BRICKS CAN HAPPEN AND HAPPENED TO SOME USERS!!! NO WARRANTY FOR A SUCCESSFUL DOWNGRADE!

1. You need a 3DS with any hax installed, if you have non, use Browserhax (http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php) by yellows8 or menuhax. And of course, at least boot.3dsx in SD card root.

2. Download sysupdater and, unzip it and copy it to sd card:/3ds/ (if it does not exist, just create it...)
Mirror: https://mega.nz/#!JE1R3RhQ!MqY_OTyYrVM_DMOltiDfaZvTGZ8gCoUcATmOYEimM-U

3. You will need a complete firmware package of your desired Firmware. I recommend 9.2.0-20E/U/J.
Where do you get this package you ask? Well, Nintendo deleted all titles from their server older than 9.9.0-X, so you have to google it. I will help you to google it: http://bfy.tw/3Xqo

Cha0s Em3rald made MD5 checksum's for 9.2.0-20E/U/J N3ds/O3DS, check archive's checksum before using it! https://gbatemp.net/threads/md5-checksums-crc-for-all-9-2-update-packs.408114/

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title from the download package in order to not get bricked! Do NOT install it!

4. Copy all firmware title .cia on SD Card:/update/

5. Remove smea's DNS, in case of unsuccessfull downgrade, you need in that case to start 3DS in Recovery mode to update and repair your system.

6. Start 3DS and go into Homebrewlauncher.

7. Start sysupdater

8. Wait for application to be ready. (ca. 1min)

9. Press Y to downgrade

10. Wait and pray until "Succeed. Reboot in 10 sec"

11. Done - Downgrade is (hopefully) complete!

Q: Help! I have a blackscreen after the reboot!!!
A: Unplug SD Card, reboot. I think some SD data can't aren't compatible with downgraded titles, so delete your current "Nintendo 3DS" folder on SD card, if needed.

If it still doesn't boot, try to get into recovery mode, by pressing Power-Button to boot while holding L+R+Up+A, update and try again.

Q: sysupdater crashes/won't start/freeze.
A: (Hold L+R+DpadDown+B to return to Homebrew Launcher, then) start/reboot again. Some users needed over 30 attempts.
Try another hax; I used menuhax to start ctr boot manager.
TuxSH wrote that it can raise succeed boot of sysupdater if you started 3DS-FTP before and return with L+R+Down+B, then start sysUpdater

Alternative Way:
1. Backup/delete your boot.3dsx in sd root
2. Copy "sysUpdater.3dsx" to root and rename it into "boot.3dsx"
3. Plug SD card in and start hax (recommended: Menuhax)
4. *hax will load directly sysUpdater.

Q: What firmwares can be downgraded?
A: All firmwares up to newesest (10.3) can be downgraded. New 3DS is not confirmed because of no testing by TuxSH, but many users already tried and successfully downgraded their N3DS.

Q: I have an 2DS, which Firmware do I need?
A: Firmware for Old 3DS. MSET for 3DS can wants to move 3d slider after formating - you need to install only Firmware/MSET that was supported by 2DS, so NO 4.5! O3DS 9.2.0-20E should be fine, but not confirmed.

Q: It won't reboot after the finished downgrade.
A: What I did: Waited 10 minutes, then I powered it off. Downgrade suceed. You don't have another choice anyway.
I successfully downgraded my 3ds xl to 9.2.0U. However. when i try to launch super smash bros 3ds with a cartridge, it loads the 3ds logo and goes to a black screen. any help is appreciated.

lionceaudelta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a problem when I Start sysupdater, I have it :
"Can't create allocation thread. Failure!"

What should I do, I followed all the steps !

Paul Ik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, anyone can help me on this ?

im using O3DSXL
Firmware : 10.3.0-28U

Attachments

• 12528077_1109454135732564_498343902_n.jpg
    12528077_1109454135732564_498343902_n.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 389

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM