Doubt about formating Wii system memory

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by titanix, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010
  1. titanix
    OP

Newcomer titanix Member

Brazil
    Well, my Wii have the 3.4U System Menu, but this is too old and I can't even use the Preloader hacks and I'd like to upgrade my system menu, but I think that at this point upgrade = brick for my Wii, so I wondered if I can format it's memory, run the official updates then do all the hackings again.
    My doubt is if this is safe and if I'll be able to do all the hacking again after that.

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Formatting your Wii is NEVER a good idea. All formatting will do is erase all channels and saves on your Wii. Just follow the guide in the stickies, it will work even if you already have a softmod.

3. titanix
    OP

Newcomer titanix Member

Brazil
    If this is the only problem, so there's no problem for me, since I have all this data safe on my SD and PC, ready for reinstall if necessary. My question is about some brick risk in the case of a highly modified system and IOS

4. Krestent

United States
    Notice how the guide says Modify ANY Wii. Period. It WILL work on any Wii.

5. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    yes it is modify ANY wii, stop worrying and read one of the 5million threads like this one with people who think their wii is special, it will be fine if you just follow the guide. Dont reformat its pointless, and never revirginize it. Use your head and youll be perfectly fine

6. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to format. Formatting will not remove modified IOSes, bootmii, priiloader, or startpatch. Like Gordinio said, it just trashes your channels and saves.

The guide will work regardless of what mods you have now. There is no reason to remove the existing mods. And before you ask: No, it won't brick your wii. Hundreds if not thousands of others have used it successfully.

7. titanix
    OP

Newcomer titanix Member

Brazil
    Yeah guys, I know everything about it, and I don't think my Wii is special.
    The point is, things on my Wii are a little "unclean" I can't even remember all the modifications or IOS patching I've done so far. I just like to reset it and restart in a more organized way. But I don't know if there is some brick risk in format.

PS: I've already read the guide on the sticks, my doubt is not about how to modify my Wii.

8. Krestent

United States
    Restart with the guide with what you have. It doesn't matter what mods or patches you have. There is a brick risk in formatting.

9. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Following the guide will effectively remove your modifications, then install new ones. The first steps in the guide have you overwrite your IOSes and system menu with the ones from the 4.2 update. That will remove any system menu modifications and IOS patches you've applied.

If you really want to format, yes there is very small brick risk. I've had a completely virgin console brick in formatting...

EDIT: People are WAY too fast for me around here.

10. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia

11. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia