Hacking DOS on Vita, or another handheld.

ObitoPSHHHH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Hello guys!

Personally, i'm a HUGE fan of the Elder Scrolls series. And I'd like to play the first two, Arena and Daggerfall, since i didn't have the chance to play them when I was younger.

My consoles are: PS Vita (ideal console for this) + adrenaline, so i can also run PSP homebrew and apps.
PSP 2000 Works fine, but a bit slow.
PSP 1001 (GO) Having trouble turning it on, but this could get fixed.
O3DS 11.6 Original FW which I'll get hacked when Smealum releases the entry points this august.

So, what are my options? I've heard of DOSbox, of course, but I heard it has Keyboard Imput problems on some old threads (1-2 years)
Is this fixed? Even if not, could I play TES 1 & 2?

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited by ObitoPSHHHH,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
From what I recall, the native DOSBox Retroarch Core still doesn't have virtual keyboard inputs (or, if it does, it's broken), so playing the games once you get them to launch is basically impossible. I don't believe this has been fixed as of yet, so you're stuck there on the Vita front. Even if we could get them running, it's unknown whether or not they would be at actually playable speeds.

The PSP is not fast enough to emulate Arena/Daggerfall on DOSBox period, so that can go out right away.

And, from what I recall once again, the 3DS also isn't powerful enough to emulate Arena/Daggerfall on DOSBox.

You need to keep in mind Arena/Daggerfall were extremely advanced for their time, and emulating them in DOSBox requires a fair bit more power than you'd expect for 20+ year old games.

ObitoPSHHHH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
From what I recall, the native DOSBox Retroarch Core still doesn't have virtual keyboard inputs (or, if it does, it's broken), so playing the games once you get them to launch is basically impossible. I don't believe this has been fixed as of yet, so you're stuck there on the Vita front. Even if we could get them running, it's unknown whether or not they would be at actually playable speeds.

The PSP is not fast enough to emulate Arena/Daggerfall on DOSBox period, so that can go out right away.

And, from what I recall once again, the 3DS also isn't powerful enough to emulate Arena/Daggerfall on DOSBox.

You need to keep in mind Arena/Daggerfall were extremely advanced for their time, and emulating them in DOSBox requires a fair bit more power than you'd expect for 20+ year old games.

I totally get it. I was anticipating this kind of answers, but i just wanted to be sure of that. What about a decent laptop? It would run well, right?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
At this time, no. The LibRetro team were working on porting an N64 Core with hardware acceleration support a good year+ ago, but nothing ever came of it as far as I'm aware, and no one else is working on one. Best you can do is DaedalusX64 in Adrenaline.

ObitoPSHHHH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
At this time, no. The LibRetro team were working on porting an N64 Core with hardware acceleration support a good year+ ago, but nothing ever came of it as far as I'm aware, and no one else is working on one. Best you can do is DaedalusX64 in Adrenaline.

Yes, I've heard the only game to run well is Mario 64. Well anyway, thanks for your answers Tom, you were a great help! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...