Hacking Done all the reading, setting up, everything works!

alexdodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i've got everything set up and its working flawlessly i must admit. I've got Configurable USB loader and USBloader gx both aset up totally up to date and forwarded working with about 20 games including newish games and rockband etc... Not really fell into any real difficulty yet...

Few real questions though:

When it comes to using wbfs, ntfs or fat32, i can see why using a wbfs partition would be awkward now, but after formatting and setting up with fat32 and wbfs files, and then reading some more and seeing i can use ntfs and plain old iso's, i'm struggling to see the improvement. What would i gain from moving from fat32 with wbfs files to ntfs with iso (or ciso's which seem troublesome themselves right now).? Which is better to read i assume wbfs files?

And i have hermes 222/223 merges v4 installed and wanikokos 249/250 v14/v15 installed but how do i tell configurable usb loader to use wanikokos 249/250 it only cycles through 222/223 in the idividual game options where-as usbloader gx gives me all options?

Also is there a simple way of viewing what cIOS' ive got installed on which IOS'? Because after much playing around and faffing it obviously gets quite confusing and it would be nice to check just in case
smile.gif

Finally i've obviously read much conflicting information because there isn't really a definitive answer i know but is there anywhere i can go with real results on which merges of hermes cIOS are most compatible to use on 222/223 i've read some that say 36 only on 222 for compatibilites sake and other that mention the stable and compatible merge on one and different merge on 223? What i have now seems to work with everything so i don't really care too much i guess just some more reading to perfect can't go too wrong.

Cheers guys you're providing a great service and i hope all that wasn't too n00bish
tongue.gif

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You can use both .wbfs and .iso files in NTFS. NTFS does not require you to split any files (FAT32 requires .wbfs files to be split, and doesn't support .iso files.), but it also does not contain write support in any loader (you can't dump a game in the loader). Any difference between .iso and .wbfs files in USB loaders is negligent.

FAT32 and NTFS support only works with IOS222/223.

If you mean checking if cIOS rev14 installed at some random slot like IOS142, no.

Merging with any is safe to do, but merging with IOS37 is necessary for instrument games (Rock Band, Guitar Hero).

alexdodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah i see i missed where it was mentioned only hermes supports wbfs files on fat32, the splitting of large files is another very good point i'd completely overlooked, i guess i can live with that though. I've also been using the loader to actually back my games up so it makes sense to be using FAT32. Nice to know thats ok.

I haven't installed anything to any random IOS's which is fine i just mean a tool that shows me whats currently sitting in whatever IOS i point in at (it would really only be used to see what im running in 222/223 249/250 obviously).

And there are no merging no no's with regard to some games being picky? I know 37 is a must for rock band as well, that all seems to be working fine
smile.gif

Cheers for the reply man
smile.gif

//Edit: Oh would there be any benefit in running a wbfs patition so i can use hermes and winkokos cIOS's, although i dont seem to see a need in wankikokos i do like options. Hermes is suiting me very well right now! I assum as time goes by (even though hes "left" the scene) wanikoko will update his cIOS to include fat support?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you use a title-listing utility (like Title Lister), you can look at the version number to determine the revision (i.e.- IOS249 v14 specifies cIOS rev14, IOS222 v4 specifies Hermes cIOS v4).

There's no picky standard for IOS merging except as stated above. IOS60 supposedly contains a few enhancements to Wi-Fi, so you might want to merge with that for Wi-Fi games.

Personally, I see more advantages to using FAT32 than WBFS. In addition to USB loading, FAT32 can be used to contain your other files and play nice with homebrew. WBFS requires software to merely see what's on the volume.

alexdodd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers i'll have a look at that, it was just so i could keep track of what i've installed where, right now i've got the 60 merge on 202, 37+38 on 222 and 38 on 223 (i think its that way round) v15 on 249 and v16 on 250 (although tbh i haven't even touched either for loading games since theyre not compatible with fat loading - shame).

I totally agree with regard to fat32 i've got my tv series rips i want to watch on the same usb drive and i just use mplayer_ce to play them, its a perfect balance! WBFS seem to be doing me just fine and i thought since the loader was creating them like that from the get go i might as well stick to it
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66