Homebrew Dolphin > Wii?

SectionX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone else think that Dolphin will be able to be better than Wii in about 6 months? The emulator is already good and its progress is going rapidly.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd prefer a real Wii, but i do admit that GC emulated these days is just much more easier and convenient, not to mention that my 5$ chinese joypad works with dolphin
tongue.gif

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SectionX said:
Anyone else think that Dolphin will be able to be better than Wii in about 6 months? The emulator is already good and its progress is going rapidly.
lol
biggrin.gif
it is just like asking what is better to use? an original or a pirated?

dbneal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say: PC capable of running Dolphin at high resolutions > Wii
blink.gif
. In which case, the answer is obvious...

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
technically speaking, the resolution of games does not change at all, they have been coded for the Wii limitation (720x480), it's just that the emulator can eventually interpolate it to higher resolutions screen, pretty much like DVD upscaling stuff... so it "seems" it's at higher resolution but it doesn't.

honestly, this is the only thing that could make dolphin > wii but nothing more, the emulator is not going to emulate more RAM than the Wii originally had or run at higher CPU speed because it's not its role and because there is no point in doing that since the games have not been developped to support it...

The other things that could make emulators > Wii are useful "features" that does not exist like realtime saves, fast-forwarding, video recording, etc ... but it applies to every emulators, not only Dolphin and the Wii.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jacobeian said:
technically speaking, the resolution of games does not change at all, they have been coded for the Wii limitation (720x480), it's just that the emulator can eventually interpolate it to higher resolutions screen, pretty much like DVD upscaling stuff... so it "seems" it's at higher resolution but it doesn't.

honestly, this is the only thing that could make dolphin > wii but nothing more, the emulator is not going to emulate more RAM than the Wii originally had or run at higher CPU speed because it's not its role and because there is no point in doing that since the games have not been developped to support it...

The other things that could make emulators > Wii are useful "features" that does not exist like realtime saves, fast-forwarding, video recording, etc ... but it applies to every emulators, not only Dolphin and the Wii.
Actually, technically speaking, the Wii has a hardware renderer which dolphin emulates, so unlike sprites which can still only be upscaled, 3d models can be rendered in proper HD resolution.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Fat D said:
Actually, technically speaking, the Wii has a hardware renderer which dolphin emulates, so unlike sprites which can still only be upscaled, 3d models can be rendered in proper HD resolution.

I'm not sure to understand...
I suppose Dolphin emulates the GX hardware at high level by using the similarities between GX and Open GL API to reproduce the 3D models with graphic card abilities, right ? But the thing is that the 3D object size is hard-coded in the game and so is the level of details or in-game textures (a 40x40 pixels cube cannot display more details than originally intended right ?) so at the end, it's still upscaling.

I would have thought the only way to really get more resolution (i.e more details in tetxures/objects/etc) is to modify the game code itself or adding high-res texture patches

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand how this really works

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Fat D wants to say is:
If you have a ball in a game and you would upscale it it would become blurry or pixelated but Dolphin displays it still round at 720p or whatever your resolution is, this works with all 3D models because the game just says, hey, here is a ball that's radius is 300px and dolphin says, hey let's make it 600px.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Dolphin emulator won't get any better. People playing New Super Mario Bros Wii on Dolphin should see the obvious graphical glitches and missing textures. If the emulator can't run a game like that one well, it will never be able to run a game above average well either.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just tried the emulator today, and while it losses a lot due to the pc interface (haven't tried with a wiimote yet but it must be great!) it is AWESOME emulator, you can't wait to the Wii HD? run the Dolphin emulator, it runs about 95% on a quad with 8800 gt upscaling to 1080p...

Don't hate it, it can't replace the actual Wii, but it adds a lot of eye candy to the games, seeing this, I can't wait until Nintendo goes HD.

DarkFocus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
in a year or so I think dolphin will easily replace wii once they get all the glitchs worked out and even with the glitchs it looks better than the wiis actual graphics.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
graphics card is the main problem with dolphin, i got a 8400gs geforce 256mb along with a core2quad q6600 at 2.4 ghz...i get some decent fps with some games, but others slowdown terribly probably due to my gpu...the better gpu the faster it will run, so yes when technology progresses dolphin will as well, and possibly it will make the graphics look better than on the wii, but the real experience is using the wii...once you can get a sensor bar for the pc it will be cool

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no way

a PC that can run Wii games at full speed is definitely more expensive than Wii

also, no online and many great games run slow...

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lenitao said:
no way

yeah. why spend so much on a PC just to emulate the wii while you could buy the real thing at a cheaper price.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bik75 said:
It is a good emulator but I heard that you have to a pretty powerful PC for it to work.

A core 2 duo 2.2GHZ and any Good GFX card, Pixel Shader 3.0 + with sufficient ram, 512-1GB is more than enough

I play Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker at 1440X900 with the following specs:

3GB RAM 800mhz

Core 2 Duo 2.4

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

Runs extrememly smoothly, no lag.

But when it comes to playing Wii games, dfefinately a console would be a bettter option.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
lenitao said:
no way

yeah. why spend so much on a PC just to emulate the wii while you could buy the real thing at a cheaper price.

Hehe, now that we're starting to think economically, Dolphin looks a lot less cool.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
======= System Requirements =======
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows (2000/XP/Vista or higher) / Linux / Apple Mac OS X (Intel version).
* Processor: Any Fast CPU with SSE2 supported (recommended at least 2Ghz). Dual Core for speed boost.
* Graphics: Any graphics card that supports Direct3D 9 or OpenGL 2.1. See: *link*

======= Runtime Library Requirements =======
Dolphin needs you have to have the libraries listed below installed.

[Windows]
-MS Visual C++ Runtime 2008 SP1: This fixes the "side by side" / "application config" & model errors
Microsoft VC++ 2008 SP1 Redist x86 - For 32bit Windows
Microsoft VC++ 2008 SP1 Redist x64 - For 64bit Windows

-The DirectX November 2008 Runtime: This fixes the plugin loading errors
Microsoft DirectX Updater

[Linux]
-install libbluetooth: fixes the "PANIC failed to load plugin Plugins/libPlugin_wiimote.so" error for linux users

======= Video Card Requirements =======
You must have a video card that support OpenGL 2.x fully or Direct3D 9.0c.

Note: The Direct3D9 video plugin is old/outdated and it looks like it doesn't work anymore. We recommend using the Dolphin OpenGL Video plugin for better video emulation.

Note: Make sure your drivers are up to date!
[Driver Sites]
NVIDIA Drivers
ATI Drivers

[Models that Dolphin likes]
- NVIDIA GeForce 6 to 9 Series and GeForce 200 Series
--* GeForce 6 Series
--* GeForce 7 Series
--* GeForce 8 Series
--* GeForce 9 Series
--* GeForce 200 Series
- ATI Radeon R200 to R700 Series
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 300
--* Radeon 420
--* Radeon 520
--* Radeon 600
--* Radeon 700

[Model thats Dolphin doesn't like]
- Any Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) Chipset (These cards do not support OpenGL 2.x fully)
--* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
- Older NVIDIA Chipsets
--* GeForce 256
--* GeForce 2
--* GeForce 3
--* GeForce 4
--* GeForce FX Series
- ATI Radeon R200 and Older
--* ATI Radeon Processor Generations
--* Radeon 100
--* Radeon 200
--* RIVA TNT
------+ RIVA TNT
--* RAGE
------+ Rage

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2