Dolphin emulator on Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by WatchGintama, Feb 7, 2013.

Feb 7, 2013
  1. WatchGintama
    OP

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  2. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Amazing!

dj4uk6cjm likes this.
  3. Luckkill4u

Member Luckkill4u SOLDIER

Canada
    Ouya can't play it so its kinda pointless unless you plan to throw major $$ for like nVidia Shield or maybe a Nexus 10 could play it when its GPU is OC'd.

4. WatchGintama
    OP

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The dolphin thread has a detailed post about the hardware required. He mentions that the Tegra 4 would be the best bet so far.
    And sadly, Samsung Exynos 5 OCTA won't work.

Can anyone confirm this though? I though the exynos 5 octa could use all 8 cores.

5. Luckkill4u

Canada
    The Exynos Octa has 8 cores. 4 high power cores for fast computing and 4 low power cores for low power consumption. Pretty much stole the idea from the Tegra 3 with its 5 cores.

An emulator like this would be more GPU extensive so a quadcore device isnt really needed as long as its fast and a rather good GPU in the SoC.

6. dj4uk6cjm

Member dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well it's about damn time! Just wait you guys, we'll be able to run super mario galaxy on our phones before you know it! :tpi:

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I am both shocked and impressed.

dj4uk6cjm likes this.
  8. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Would this mean it runs at optimal speed with Tegra 4 devices or 'relatively well'?

9. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Uh, not really. The Octa is based on ARM's big.LITTLE design, which, coming from ARM themselves, can hardly be considered a "copy." NVIDIA's "companion core" implementation came out first, but that's it.

Depending on the implementation, you might be able to activate all 8 cores at the same time (ARM big.LITTLE MP mode).

The desktop version of Dolphin can't really make use of more than 3 cores though.

10. Luckkill4u

Canada
    Woah cool it bro.

My tegra 3 phone consists of 4 cortex-A9 cores and 1 low powered cortex-A7 or A8 and a Nvidia GeForce ULP.
    The Exynos 5 Octa has 4 cortex-A15 cores and 4 cortex-A7 cores with a Mali-T604 GPU or PowerVR ULP

both of these low power cores do the same thing. when the phone is on deepsleep, playing music with the screen off, running idle on the app with the screen on ect.. the low power core kicks in and uses minimal battery.

11. SuzieJoeBob

Member SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

United States
    Well, now you get to enjoy the battery endurance issue that people have with the Supercard DSTWO. :P

12. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Wait what?

Damn .__.

13. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Not to sound mean, sorry.

ARM revealed its big.LITTLE tech around the same time the first Tegra 3 devices came out. The industry has been working on the technology for years; my point is ARM didn't steal the idea from NVIDIA.

The general idea is the same, but the implementation is very different. For example, while NVIDIA uses the same core (the Tegra 4 will also have four Cortex-A15s plus a companion Cortex-A15) manufactured on a different process (General versus Low Power), ARM's approach uses equal numbers of two different cores (Cortex-A7 is significantly weaker than the A15). Samsung is simply licensing a design that ARM developed rather than developing their own heterogeneous MP solution in-house.

14. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

My tablet would die a horrible death trying to run a Wii game.

15. Luckkill4u

Canada
    The technology is the same... It uses the same or simular parts... The only difference is that the Exynos 5 Octa can use more processing extensive apps on its "LITTLE" cores and due to 28nm technology less power is needed and less heat is created.

So how about we stay back on topic here. Remember this thread is about the Dolphin for Android ;)

I wonder if my GeForce ULP OC'd at 770Mhz could run a fully finished emulator for android. Lol probably not, but playing Tegra HD games on my HTC One X with 4x MSAA and N64/PSone emulators is still okay with me :)

16. Scuba156

Member Scuba156 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It could be an all-in-one solution, having the phone as both the controller and a screen, expect more cracked phone screens though :P

17. NightsOwl

Member NightsOwl Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)

United States
    I was about to post ignorantly and say why this would be kinda dumb considering there's not many phones out right now that would be able to run a Wii game.

But then I remembered a thing called the future and got a bit excited.