does the switch read arabic letter??

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by tottti1914, Sep 10, 2018.

1. tottti1914
    OP

tottti1914 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2018
    Syria
    so i was trying to translate botw to arabic to find that all arabic letter was replaced with a blank ?? any help if some one can some how test if the system can read arabic or all of this is a waste of time thanks alot

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    This sort of thing is usually done at the game level rather than the system level. Most games will not include Arabic glyphs and handling of them (assuming you want the nice joined up stuff) by default, much less right to left text handling (though some hackers cheat and put in enough spaces to make it appear RTL).

Generally you will have to replace the characters in the font or add them to it (replacement is typically easier, however newer systems can make adding new stuff easier). If you don't want to do the spaces thing then you will also need to hack the game to do right to left text, this can be quite hard as the former is usually so much image editing but this will require you to fiddle with the game code*. After this comes any translation or text alteration you care to do.

*in changing games from Japanese to English then we often like to do what is called a variable with font hack (English has letters like i j and l which are narrower than other characters, Japanese is all the same so some like to then change things to handle it). You would be doing something fairly similar for right to left handling. That said you might have a small shortcut as you are not adding the notion of character width and instead basically inverting what the game does; if an English or Japanese game starts at the left (typically low numbers in the screen coordinates) and moves to the right (typically high numbers) then you would instead want to start high, subtract from that and stop at a low value.

There are a few Arabic translations out there in the world ( http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...=15&perpage=100&title=&author=&transsearch=Go ) and I had a discussion with a few of them. If you go looking for their release notes and project discussions (especially for the newer games like the DS ones) you might get some idea of what it involves,

tottti1914 likes this.
  3. tottti1914
    OP

tottti1914 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2018
    Syria
    thanks a lot so many info for me to understand but you sure gave me some hope thanks again
    so would do you think i should look into first

Last edited by tottti1914, Sep 10, 2018
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Figuring out how to edit the characters in the font would be a good start. You can at least get something done with that.

It sounds like you already found where the text is located. Fonts can be odd but in the end they are just pictures. You will need to figure out how to display those. Usually the first problem to crop up is if a font is variable width (recall the ijl stuff from earlier) then you are going to have a hard time simply drawing over them. In that case you will need to also figure out where the character sizes are stored and edit those. Alternatively if the font still includes some Japanese text they will tend to be all the same size so you can try overwriting those instead.

tottti1914 likes this.
  5. tottti1914
    OP

tottti1914 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2018
    Syria
    so would do you think i should look into first
    so now i should understand the font and how to work around some limitation thanks for your help a million time