Hacking Does the firmware flasher of DS onei really make sense?

waldfee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...or is it just a marketing gimmick? According to product info, the firmware flasher can be used in case that Nintendo modifies their DS devices causing the flashcard to stop functioning. So, this means I can upgrade the firmware in case that I will buy any new DS model in the future and save about 20$ because I don't need a new flashcard, right? But why should I be unable to upgrade the firmware with my old DS, before using it with the new DS?
After all, is the firmware really the only thing that needs to be changed? As far as I know, the difference between the Acekard 2 and Acekard 2i is not only the firmware but the internal structure of the card. Otherwise, the Acekard team could have just posted a new firmware on their website.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The modification Nintendo coul do is not phisically (new DS), is the firmware of the console (if you buy a DSi, it will ask you to update the firmware of the DSi). If you haven't an old DS (DS phat or DSL), you'll ned the flasher to update the firmware of the card (the DSONEi) isn't a true DSi mode card.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
waldfee said:
...or is it just a marketing gimmick? According to product info, the firmware flasher can be used in case that Nintendo modifies their DS devices causing the flashcard to stop functioning. So, this means I can upgrade the firmware in case that I will buy any new DS model in the future and save about 20$ because I don't need a new flashcard, right? But why should I be unable to upgrade the firmware with my old DS, before using it with the new DS?
After all, is the firmware really the only thing that needs to be changed? As far as I know, the difference between the Acekard 2 and Acekard 2i is not only the firmware but the internal structure of the card. Otherwise, the Acekard team could have just posted a new firmware on their website.

from what i have been reading... lets say flash card is blocked from DSi ... you might need a DSL or DS phat to flash the firmware
so what if you don't have a DSL/phat?

with this USB firmware flasher... all you need to do is just plug and flash
smile.gif

whether is it a gimmick is up to how you interpret it

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion the firmware flasher is just there to make sales... so many people have chosen the supercard over the acekard because of the firmware flasher it just seems pointless because regardless of whether an update blocks a card from working most people won't update unless they are sure that their card won't be blocked so therefore the flash cart teams can just release an update to flash the chips from the DS which would be more simple... the only good part of the flasher I guess is that if the supercard gets bricked it *should* be repairable by just reflashing it again using the flashing usb tool.

waldfee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know that you can upgrade the firmware of an existing old DS. What's the point of upgrading? My DS is working perfectly and I can not imagine that an upgrade would add any new features.
And if you want a new DS coming out in the near future and you don't have already an old DS, well, then you simply don't buy an incompatible flashcard and wait until a new one comes out with the new firmware preinstalled (In case that Nintendo blocks anything). So in my opinion, the firmware flasher just doesn't make sense.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
waldfee said:
I didn't even know that you can upgrade the firmware of an existing old DS. What's the point of upgrading? My DS is working perfectly and I can not imagine that an upgrade would add any new features.
And if you want a new DS coming out in the near future and you don't have already an old DS, well, then you simply don't buy an incompatible flashcard and wait until a new one comes out with the new firmware preinstalled (In case that Nintendo blocks anything). So in my opinion, the firmware flasher just doesn't make sense.
The upgradable firmware is not for the old D models (DSL/phat), is for the DSi. Remember how many time the flashcart teams take to make the card readeble in the dsi? What if an update blocks the card? then you must update the card's firmware, but if you haven't an old ds model?

Andytoxic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.credge.audio
XP
Country
Russia
waldfee said:

If you have an old Nintendo DS from a Nintendogs Pack (in blue/pink metallic) you can update your firmware via flashme to change the brightness, because these revisions of the old DS already do have the hardware for changing the brightness like the NDS lite does.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this is reprogrammable because it's definitely possible Nintendo could block the cart's ID, or do something else to make it not work since the DSi has a system menu (of sorts), similar to the Wii.

Plague_Host_Extr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it'll be a week or 2 before they even get started on making 1. First, they need to find a loophole in the new firmware of the DSi to exploit. THEN they have to code a new firmware that uses this loophole. THEN they have to test on multiple systems this exploit to make sure the loophole works. Then they have to upload it to their servers. Then you have to download it.

It'll take a little bit of time for them to do it, and then, a week after they do, Nintendo will release a new firmware and block the new firmwared cards. Again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/o4zjzHyB-I0?si=U77XLBb-jVVqtWXz +2