Gerinych

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is one of the few YouTube videos showing how to play PSX backups on a PS2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLwlgWLn2s
So my question is: does that actually work? I've been trying to play backups like that, but no luck. It always gets stuck on the PS logo screen. If that actually works, explain to me what am I doing wrong:
- I burned a PSX game in Raw DAO mode at 8x speed on a Fujifilm CD-R.
- I loaded LaunchElf through an Independence Exploit using a PSX trigger disk.
- I swapped the trigger disk with a backup and went back to PS2 Browser.
I figured that using LaunchElf would be safer because it can stop the CD inside because I have a slide card.
It loads, but it freezes at the PS logo, like I said. I tried using Driver and Crash Bandicoot 2 as trigger disks.

EDIT: Also, when I use CogSwap loader with all this, the disk starts going at a monstrous speed then slows down and nothing happens. Could that be something?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You haven't said what type of PS2 you have. What that video doesn't show or acknowledge is that specific swap method only works for specific models namely all models greater than v7 (fat ps2).

http://www.psxservices.co.uk/ps2_version.htm

For v7 ps2, the only way to properly load a PSX game is to use a gameshark lite. I got mine off ebay for like 5 bucks. The 5 bucks was for shipping, won the auction for 1 cent.

Gerinych

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a v5/v6 PS2, but I don't see why that method is so exclusive to any other system. Besides, the guy in the video uses a fat PS2, he pushes a CD tray in and he used a credit card as a slide card.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gerinych said:
I have a v5/v6 PS2, but I don't see why that method is so exclusive to any other system. Besides, the guy in the video uses a fat PS2, he pushes a CD tray in and he used a credit card as a slide card.

He probably has a v9, which is still a fat, but can do the easy swap. Why is it exclusive? I don't know, I think it has to do with the motherboard and the PSX backward compatility chip that's on there I guess.

Gerinych

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, that might be it. The only thing that worries me now is the fact that when I swap the disk using CogSwap, it speeds up and does nothing, but in LaunchElf, it's fine, it goes to the PS logo, then freezes. I burned a PS2 CD game at 8x speed, but it was fine, loaded normally.
My friend's been guiding me on how to burn PSX games, he said that he burned them at 10x speed somehow, but he has a chipped slim PS2.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gerinych said:
Okay, that might be it. The only thing that worries me now is the fact that when I swap the disk using CogSwap, it speeds up and does nothing, but in LaunchElf, it's fine, it goes to the PS logo, then freezes. I burned a PS2 CD game at 8x speed, but it was fine, loaded normally.
My friend's been guiding me on how to burn PSX games, he said that he burned them at 10x speed somehow, but he has a chipped slim PS2.

Unless I'm mistaken CogSwap isn't for PSX games. It's for PS2 CD games or gutted DVD games.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, not that I know of. The only way to play PSX games is to use a gameshark lite on the older ps2s and using the easy swap method on the newer ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.