Gaming Does StreetPass work while driving

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I drive a lot and recently i've taken my 3DS everywhere in hopes of getting that little green LED to light up, so far i've had nothing. Can anyone tell me if StreetPass works while your driving around?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. It'll work just fine. I sometimes leave my 3DS in the car on purpose. My mom then drives everywhere, so I'm getting a few free Street Pass Miis. I also get a nice little pedometer step count from the car's vibration.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
EnigmaXtreme said:
Maybe its cause i live on a fucking island!

HAHAHA! That could be your problem
rolleyes.gif

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten a few hits when I ride with my friend or my older sister. I don't think it'll work on say, the highway, but I'm sure it'll have enough time to transfer at a red light or a shoulder. I can't really say where on the road I got mine, but it very well might've been at a red light or stop sign.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
I've gotten a few hits when I ride with my friend or my older sister. I don't think it'll work on say, the highway, but I'm sure it'll have enough time to transfer at a red light or a shoulder. I can't really say where on the road I got mine, but it very well might've been at a red light or stop sign.
you actualy have a point there the street limit is around 25-40 with the exiptional 50 so the 3ds will have enough time to pass the information while on the highway its 60-70 miles per car and not all cars 60 is the same as another cars 60 so it depends on where and what your driving in or on

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This gives me hope. I have had my 3DS for a week and brought it everywhere I could and still not a single StreetPass notification.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
I have played wireless with someone whilst travelling at 70Mph both cars where travelling close to each other but it works.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ars25 said:
Windaga said:
you actualy have a point there the street limit is around 25-40 with the exiptional 50 so the 3ds will have enough time to pass the information while on the highway its 60-70 miles per car and not all cars 60 is the same as another cars 60 so it depends on where and what your driving in or on

How much information do you think is being passed and how slow do you think the 3DS' wireless is? We know that at the very least the regular DS was capable of 20-30k download speeds so we can expect that to be the 3DS minimum. We also know that streetpass is the basic of basic data. We're probably talking hundreds of BYTES per game max... So let's say that each game using street pass does 500 bytes, and you have 10 games using the feature... That's 5k. On top of that 5k there will probably be about 2-3k of information that's just "Hi, I'm a 3ds, here's my validation information and my owner information!".

So you may... MAY... have 10k of information that needs to be transferred. That would still be less than a second. If the two 3DS have time to see that each other exist, they already have all the data they need from street pass. That's the whole point of it
wink.gif

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not only the transferring, however - it's the actual confirmation and initiation. Transferring data is very quick, and the 3DS has a pretty decent range (about 100 feet) - however, if the 3DS does take a few moments to confirm the presence of another 3DS, and then initiate the trading process. If the 3DS can't confirm the presence of another 3DS, then the transfer doesn't go through. From my experience, the actual confirmation takes longer than the transferring process.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
drive to work monday to friday...nada...even in the downtown area.
last week, tagged a japanese tourist in the shopping mall..'was walking
though.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
junn said:
though.

Problem with driving to/fro work is that you're mostly doing so with other people going to/fro work
wink.gif

Probably more apt to get someone while driving on the weekend. Not that I recommend driving around the highway wasting gas and destroying the planet just so you can play the Find Mii game.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
junn said:
though.

Problem with driving to/fro work is that you're mostly doing so with other people going to/fro work
wink.gif

Probably more apt to get someone while driving on the weekend. Not that I recommend driving around the highway wasting gas and destroying the planet just so you can play the Find Mii game.
i'm not that desperate.if i got nothing,so be it.
gas here cost $4+/gallon,btw.
maybe i'm gonna try "around the island" this weekend and see.
probably not.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I got one while driving around the inner west of Sydney so I can confirm that it's possible. That's the only streetpass hit I've ever got actually.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm got about 25 since launch in Melbourne, mainly on the train to and from work and going for a wander at lunch.
Got a couple in the car too.
Tassie 3DS owners are probably a bit more scarce than in Melb though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D