Does SMG2 work with Wiikey 2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ALX1982, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010

Does SMG2 work with Wiikey 2? by ALX1982 at 9:41 PM (2,981 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    I have a Wii with hardmod, the chip called "d2Pro". I know newer games like "New Super Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Galaxy 2" don't work (backup discs).
    I have no softmod what so ever.

If I get Wiikey 2, will these games work?
    Also, is there any risk of losing savegames while upgrading to Wiikey 2?

2. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Yes, that will work, it works on my old first gen wiikey [​IMG]

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    A WiiKey 2 will be able to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii, provided you update the WiiKey 2 firmware.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 should work fine on a D2Pro or WIiKey 2; it has no fancy DRM (not even the BCA check found in New Super Mario Bros. Wii).

You also won't lose any saves when (or if) you switch to WiiKey 2.

4. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    Thanks for your reply, I haven't actually tested the SMG2 backup disc. I just read a lot about how it doesn't work. But now I will get the backup and try it, hope it will work with my D2Pro. But I also want NSMB so I guess I will eventually get the WiiKey 2 anyway.
    If I insert a backup disc of SMG2, can it be harmful to the Wii in any way? What if the disc tells me to do a system update?
    I just don't wanna risk anything to happen to my Wii, but maybe I worry too much.

5. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The update on Super Mario Galaxy 2 contains System Menu 4.2. It doesn't contain anti-modchip code, but the update has a relatively low chance of bricking all Wiis.

If you wish to avoid the update, you'll need to run homebrew on your Wii (not sure whether you'd want to do this).

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Halp! Someone's ego is trying to take over another thread!

7. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    I'm still a little unsure why people still buy modchips when softmods offer more options and with more frequent updates.

That being said, switching loading methods (retail, different varieties of chip, softmod loaders) doesn't actually affect where the saves are kept on the Wii so you're safe in that respect.

OT:
    In response to DF, I've been under the impression that GBAtemp silently doesn't care about piracy; they don't allow hosting of or links to copyrighted material for legal reasons and likely state that they don't condone piracy to stay out of trouble with their webhosts. Taking that in consideration, it's perfectly fine to state your opinions on piracy (peaceably), but wall-of-texting against piracy doesn't do much good and you won't get far with the anti-pirate-hypocrisy arguments (as someone who follows the RawkSD/Riivolution threads I can guarantee those have never worked). Stay chill, dude.

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

BZZZZZZZZ

9. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I cant believe you removed two useful threads over a mod deleting your post and piracy lol.

10. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    are you trying to get banned? wtf

11. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I use both. reason 1) the etra things you can do with softmods as was stated. 2) because running from disk channel lags with softmods and I like to run games from the disk channel (personal preference). There is no lag whatsoever with a chip.

Posts Merged

I use both hard and soft mod.

1)softmods let you do lots of extra stuff and run homebrew.

2)my personal preference is to run my games from the disk channel. Many games lag with only soft mod because you only get 3x disk reading speed. With a chip, there is no lag (full 6x)

12. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    Fair enough. If you have a USB hard drive to spare, I consider the speed improvement over retail/modchips to be good enough reason on its own, and it simplifies the process of backing up or installing new games. Also, getting up and swapping discs? Madness. But to each their own.

13. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    Thanks for your info, I will try a SMG2 backup disc. If I remember correctly, I have System Menu 4.1E now.

14. ALX1982
    OP

Newcomer ALX1982 Member

Sweden
    I have now tried it and SMG2 actually works with D2Pro! Had to update to 4.2 but everything works fine. I just assumed that SMG2 would have the same protection as NSMB.

15. JRLS

Newcomer JRLS Newbie

Netherlands
    NSMB should work on d2pro, provided you update the chip with the latest update on d2pro website.
    "v1.8 DVD Update to fix NSMB issue". i tried this myself, and it works,
    SMG2 should work too without an update, except a menu update.
    SMG2 and NSMB dont have the same protection.

i also tested on WIIkey2,
    (there is also a NSMB update for wiikey2),
    both games work on wiikey2 too.

but if i were you, i'd keep your d2pro [​IMG]
    no need to switch

16. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain