Does savedatafiler work on Gateway 3.6.1?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Raybrand, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Hi, I just came to the situation where I need to use savedatafiler, I hadnt used it in a while but when I did earlier today, I found that no matter what I did I could not extract the saves from my games ("CTR - BROKEN" message), even when I would copy their .sav file and rename them 000400000FF40A00.sav.

So can someone test if this savedatafiler can be used in the latest version of gateway to this date, and if it doesnt can someone recomend another way of extracting a save from a .3ds file game?

EDIT: sry not 3.6.1, its 3.6.2

Last edited by Raybrand, Jan 5, 2016
  2. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    yes, savedatafiler works

3. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    What game are you trying to extract?

4. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    I was trying to extract Stella Glow, but I tried it on previous games I know I had done it before on like Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker.

I really dont know what I can do:
    I open my sd card on pc, copy and rename Stella Glow's save file to 000400000FF40A00.sav
    Open 3ds with sd card back inside
    I boot gateway 3.6.2, mount Stella Glow
    Open SaveDataFiler but still says ctr - broken

EDIT: I really thought it was the emunand version that was causing the problem, but I remembered just before I needed to use SaveDataFiler, I had my sd card completely reformated due to a bug I was experiencing, I ended up having to copy and paste my old folders and reinstall all my updates and .cia files, think thats related? I thought at first it was because I didnt have the 'Filer' folder in my sd card root but I pasted back my old one and still didnt work.

Last edited by Raybrand, Jan 5, 2016
  5. temptemp

temptemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Italy
    You need to rename Stella Glow save in 000400000FF40A00.sav to get it to work, there's a tutorial to follow here on gbatemp

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can proceed directly without modifying the name of the save only if the game is a card2

6. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Just wondering is there any trick to installing SaveDataFiler? because first time I did it months ago it created a new folder in my root sd card called 'filer', after I got my sd card formated all my folders where gone, I reinstalled SaveDataFiler but I had to copy and paste my filer folder back into my sd card root it didnt create itself after I installed the cia file. So is there some trick to installing SaveDataFiler because I cant seem to find any info on it online, I assumed it was as straight forward as opening the cia file in titlemanager

7. temptemp

temptemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Italy
    You don't need to do anything. It will create the folder once you dump any save.

8. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Last edited by naddel81, Jan 6, 2016
  9. temptemp

temptemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Italy
    SaveDataFiler is a debug tool, SVDT is an homebrew.:)

10. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    How do I use SVDT? I saw the link you gave me but no idea how to use it, atm I have a save from card 2 that are need transferred to card 1 will SVDT let me do that?

11. temptemp

temptemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Italy
    If it's a card2 game you can use SaveDataFiler directly, while if it's a card1 you just need to rename the save you want to import/export in 000400000FF40A00.sav , then load the game as it's written in the tutorial I posted you above
    Edit: Wait a minute...you need to make a card2 game card1? what for? usually people want to turn card1 games to card2

Last edited by temptemp, Jan 6, 2016
  12. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    card 2 games are cia games you install on your emunand right? (only ever dealt with .3ds/3dz file didnt hear the about card 1 or card 2 till recently).

If card 2 games are .cia files then I would think people would want card 1 games because card 1 games you can easily switch out like normal cartridges but like 8 at a time without conciquence, with cia installed game you cant remove as easy and if you do you loose the save unless you extract it right? also you have to share that space with your other sd card files, if your running out of space on your sd card from all the games and updates you install and need a larger one you have to start over and install everything again on that sd card.

This is my understanding of card 2 games but I've never dealt with them so this is my assumption, what are the advantages of using card 2 over card 1?

13. temptemp

temptemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Italy
    You're totally wrong Card2 games are some and "few" special games who store their save together on the .3ds itself so once you load (but don't execute) the game on the gateway, the save is loaded with it. While card1 games will make a .sav file on your Gateway MicroSD and the save file will be loaded once you load and execute the game on the gateway.
    Examples of card 2 games: Animal Crossing, Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS, even Smash Bros.

14. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Ok thats interesting, I'll look more into it, btw how do I tell between a card 1 and card 2 by analyzing the file? Because there has been an interesting new development.

I ended up uninstalling savedatafiler, I created the folder then added the saves I wanted to import to that folder, after reinstalling it I no longer get the "crt - broken" message, so I can extract and import but at the same time the game doesnt require that I rename the .save file (i know the save file is relevent because if I delete it the save is gone) but when I import the save nothing happens.

-I start off exporting the game, then I import the new game plus save, then I export again
    -When viewing all folders and files (my original save (folder 1), new game plus save (folder 3), original save after importing NG+ save (folder 3)), folder 1 is has different hex values than folder 2 and 3, and folder 2 and 3 are the same off course but regardless when I load up my game I have my original save and no NG+ even after importing the NG+, I can see that savedatafiler worked in a way because after importing I exported the game save to find that the files changed as desired but when I load the game, nothings changed.

This is really bizarre, can someone explain?

15. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Turns out I can use savedatafiler to import saves to .cia games but still can't import to .3ds games

16. dsrules

dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 20, 2005
    seems Smash Bros doesn't save in the .3ds , I trimmed, deleted .3ds
    the save is still there after copy new .3ds