Hardware Does Micro-SD card speed matter?

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So am a new owner of an N3DS XL on 9.0 and am looking to buy a 64GB Micro SD card to play my backups from.

Does Micro-SD card speed matter? I mean is a Samsung Evo Class 10 a good fast choice or should I invest in an Extreme UHS 3 speed one?
Am mainly looking for as much as fast loading times in games as possible and cant find anywhere facts that support if card speed makes any difference. If there is a decent difference in loading times I am more than willing to spend a few extra cash to load my games faster.
This is the one I have my eyes on right now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-E...450876?hash=item2357e48abc:g:5REAAOSw5ZBWOdxR

Ideas? Experinces?

-Much appreciated

BringusStudios

Trophies
Website
bringus.studio
XP
Country
United States
As long as that card is a genuine class 10 Samsung and not some Chinese knock off, it should do just fine. I have the same one but in 32GB and it loads games from emuNAND just as fast as my friends' eShop or retail versions.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it makes much difference unless you're using a class4 or under, then you might experience longer load times. I've got a class 4 for both gateway and emunand and emunand does take a bit to load everything, especially when exiting a CIA.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used a Transcend Class 2 card for emunand for testing first, and it didn't work so bad actually.
I didn't use it so long anyway, as I bought a bigger card that happened to be a Samsung Evo UHS-1. Have been using that for a long time without any problem.
AFAIK UHS-1 and Class 10 are similar regarding speeds, so I think you would be OK.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone tried mSDXC UHS3 like Sandisk Extreme Pro card on n3DS? Does the performance improve any bit?

I tried Extreme Pro SDXC card on 3DS? Didn't notice any enhance in performance. Don't know how N3DS fair with their with the counter mSDXC UHS3

Last edited by tivu100,

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bear in mind that the 3DS has an upper limit on the card read speed and you won't get the full rated speed. However, higher is better on microSD due to the physical format.

Reactions: tivu100

Metalman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So what is the exact cap then and whats the highest rated speed it can give? Will it make use of 90MB/s speed or is it capped even with 45MB/s? That was my original question. Am not asking whether it works or not I obviously know that, I am asking if it gives a performance improvment on loading times.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is the exact cap then and whats the highest rated speed it can give? Will it make use of 90MB/s speed or is it capped even with 45MB/s? That was my original question. Am not asking whether it works or not I obviously know that, I am asking if it gives a performance improvment on loading times.

SD: Class 4 and Class 10 have similar performance on a O3DS. Class 10 has better gains on a N3DS, but not hugely. If you can get a 10 for a price not too much higher than a 4, then go for it. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.
MicroSD: Has performance issues due to compact size. Strongly recommended class 10.

To answer your question, see above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag