Hacking Does HVCA work on the EWin expansion pack?

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any help would be much appreciated. I am just one click away from buying an EEP and the only thing holding me back is whether or not I can run HVCA on it.

I need help and fast, I need to order this thing before my girlfriend catches me mis-managing my money!

EDIT: Bah, I went ahead and bought it. She was beginning to wake up so I panicked, I didn't want to unleash a shitstorm.

Newest edit: HVCA does not work with the EEP.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Any help would be much appreciated. I am just one click away from buying an EEP and the only thing holding me back is whether or not I can run HVCA on it.

I need help and fast, I need to order this thing before my girlfriend catches me mis-managing my money!

EDIT: Bah, I went ahead and bought it. She was beginning to wake up so I panicked, I didn't want to unleash a shitstorm.
Okay, homebrew usually works fine on the EEP, as long as it doesn't require file access. I'm not familiar with HVCA, but it should work as long as you can pack the games to be emulated into one .gba file along with the emulator itself. A cursory look at the PocketHeaven description suggests that it does this, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it will work.

What I wonder is why you'd want to do this though. nesDS is such a great emulator, and it uses the whole DS screen (meaning a bigger picture and only 16 lines to be either cropped or resized).

Since you've already ordered it, it seems a moot point though. And the EEP is an excellent RAM expansion for DS homebrew and a decent choice for running GBA stuff, so hopefully you won't be disappointed. My EEP has become my DS Lite's dustcover (while my EZ4-3in1 is just collecting dust).

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I wonder is why you'd want to do this though. nesDS is such a great emulator, and it uses the whole DS screen (meaning a bigger picture and only 16 lines to be either cropped or resized).
HVCA and PocketNES both have better game compatility than nesDS. AFAIK, HVCA is the only emulator usable on the DS that can play Punch Out!! (or Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!).

BTW, the NES screen resolution is 256x224, so the DS is 32 lines short of a full display, not 16.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Don't get me wrong, I love nesDS but like Destuctobot said; HVCA is the only emu on NDS that will run Punch Out!! and in case you can't tell from my handle; I love me some Punch Out!! (I also love the awkward punctuation that writing about Punch Out!! can lead to).

HVCA can also run FDS ROMs, which makes it even more enticing, if I can play Doki Doki Panic! on the go, I'll be very happy!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I think I'll be very happy with my EEP. I'll be reeeally happy when I can play Mother 3 in english on my DS though! Until then, back to studying my Kanji.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
BTW, the NES screen resolution is 256x224, so the DS is 32 lines short of a full display, not 16.

Whoops. Don't know why I wrote 16. Maybe I was thinking 16 to be cropped from both the top and the bottom. In any case, it's still much closer than the GBA, and ends up looking much better.

Don't get me wrong, I love nesDS but like Destuctobot said; HVCA is the only emu on NDS that will run Punch Out!! and in case you can't tell from my handle; I love me some Punch Out!! (I also love the awkward punctuation that writing about Punch Out!! can lead to).

HVCA can also run FDS ROMs, which makes it even more enticing, if I can play Doki Doki Panic! on the go, I'll be very happy!
Ahh, I see. Apologies for my ignorance then.

QUOTE(PizzaPasta @ Jan 31 2008, 01:53 AM)
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I think I'll be very happy with my EEP. I'll be reeeally happy when I can play Mother 3 in english on my DS though! Until then, back to studying my Kanji.
I don't remember there being many kanji in Mother 3, so maybe you're better off studying vocabulary (or do both at the same time
tongue.gif
). That game has one of the best stories of any RPG I've ever played, so good luck!

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
[That game has one of the best stories of any RPG I've ever played, so good luck!

That's exactly why I want to wait to play it instead of relying on my poor Japanese. I've got most of my Katakana and Hiragana somewhat down but it still takes me at least 20 minutes to read anything but I just started teaching myself a few months ago so I guess I've made a bit of progress.
nyanya.gif

My girlfriend got me a huge Kanji dictionary for Christmas and it might be the most daunting thing I've ever owned. I'm actually terrified to look at it most times. I live a block away from the Ohio State University and strangely enough they offer Japanese courses in their "continuing education" program. The classes are 8 weeks long and they offer 4 levels and seem really intense. It's only $175 for each course so I am really thinking of taking them. I figure that if anything, I'll learn enough to play most games in Japanese.
tongue.gif

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
[That game has one of the best stories of any RPG I've ever played, so good luck!

That's exactly why I want to wait to play it instead of relying on my poor Japanese. I've got most of my Katakana and Hiragana somewhat down but it still takes me at least 20 minutes to read anything but I just started teaching myself a few months ago so I guess I've made a bit of progress.
nyanya.gif

My girlfriend got me a huge Kanji dictionary for Christmas and it might be the most daunting thing I've ever owned. I'm actually terrified to look at it most times. I live a block away from the Ohio State University and strangely enough they offer Japanese courses in their "continuing education" program. The classes are 8 weeks long and they offer 4 levels and seem really intense. It's only $175 for each course so I am really thinking of taking them. I figure that if anything, I'll learn enough to play most games in Japanese.
tongue.gif
Hey, my dad lives in Cincinnati, and when I go back to the States, I'm thinking I'll try to get into the Japanese Lit. Master's program at OSU. Their Japanese department is pretty good all around. You really should take that course.

I actually did my undergrad at the University of Cincinnati (don't laugh :/ ), and I was told that OSU's program doesn't get into reading and writing until the second year or so. UC started from the first day, and we started kanji in the first quarter. There are tradeoffs; I was told that OSU first-year students can't read a thing (of course), but their speaking is phenomenal. In my case, it took me more than two years to be able to say simple things off the top of my head, but I probably knew 500-1000 kanji by that time. No regrets though, as now my reading is quite decent, and due to almost five years in Japan, my speaking and listening are fine too.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

nyanya.gif

tongue.gif
Hey, my dad lives in Cincinnati, and when I go back to the States, I'm thinking I'll try to get into the Japanese Lit. Master's program at OSU. Their Japanese department is pretty good all around. You really should take that course.

I actually did my undergrad at the University of Cincinnati (don't laugh :/ ), and I was told that OSU's program doesn't get into reading and writing until the second year or so. UC started from the first day, and we started kanji in the first quarter. There are tradeoffs; I was told that OSU first-year students can't read a thing (of course), but their speaking is phenomenal. In my case, it took me more than two years to be able to say simple things off the top of my head, but I probably knew 500-1000 kanji by that time. No regrets though, as now my reading is quite decent, and due to almost five years in Japan, my speaking and listening are fine too.

Yeah, OSU has a great Japanese department. I'm really excited to take these courses. If you come to Columbus, you should hit me up, we can drink beer and play Mario Kart!
biggrin.gif

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
I may have to take you up on the beer. I don't know how well it will mix with Mario Kart though, considering I already suck at it.

BTW, did you get your Ewin yet, and if so, is it working? I'm just kind of curious (but not curious enough to download HVCA myself
tongue.gif
).

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I may have to take you up on the beer. I don't know how well it will mix with Mario Kart though, considering I already suck at it.

BTW, did you get your Ewin yet, and if so, is it working? I'm just kind of curious (but not curious enough to download HVCA myself
tongue.gif
).

You actually get better at Mario Kart when you're drinking (or at least you think you do)
nyanya.gif

My Ewin hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it comes tomorrow but it will most likely show up on monday. They shipped it late because they were out of the color I wanted so I think it went out last monday. It should come soon though.

The first order of business will be to try out HVAC with it though, so I'll let you know.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Curses, hvca doesn't work.

I originally asked sinkhead to try it and he couldn't get it to work, I was hoping that he was missing something but I just spent an hour fooling with it and couldn't get ay results. Oh well.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't get it to work either, though Mike Tyson's Punch-Out worked (with some graphic glitches) on PocketNES.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, ScummVM is great.
smile.gif
I use it to play old AGI games. Space Quest was the first adventure game I ever played.

As for PocketNES, you'll need to get the emulator itself (PocketNES.gba) and a menu creator thingy (I used PocketNES Menu Maker 1.2a, also available on the official PocketNES site).

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, ScummVM is great.Â
smile.gif
I use it to play old AGI games. Space Quest was the first adventure game I ever played.

As for PocketNES, you'll need to get the emulator itself (PocketNES.gba) and a menu creator thingy (I used PocketNES Menu Maker 1.2a, also available on the official PocketNES site).

Space Quest is one of my faves, I'm playing the first Monkey Island game right now and it's making me feel like I'm back in the 7th grade (minus all of the awkwardness of being that age). I'm really glad I held on to my copy of DOTT though, I can't find the enhanced Maniac Mansion anywhere on the internet but now I can just rip it from the CD.

Thanks for the info on PocketNES.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/intel-cpu-dispensing-vending-machine-game-spotted...