Does Gateway scratches your micro SDs?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tangerines, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    I have been using my gateway playing with multiple roms. I bought 5x 8gb micro SDs especially for this, formatted with Panasonic SD card formatter and obtained the roms from legit sources and wrote them onto the disc with the correct procedures.

The game plays fine, but sometimes it will take multiple attempts to launch a game successfully - for example it may freeze at the 3ds logo or come up with an error that tells you to reset with power button. But eventually after a few tries the game will launch (after a few resets, taking the card in and out etc).

I noticed that each of the pins on the micro sd card has one fine scratch in the middle of it. Not sure if this is caused by the gateway cartridge or not? And if it will damage the micro SD over time? Has anyone noticed the same?

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Those are the usual wear marks and will appear no matter what you insert the card into. I doubt they are the reason for your problems. It may be that you have a low end SD card that just isn't fast enough.

3. Deltaechoe

Deltaechoe The Dopefish

May 3, 2012
    United States
    unless the scratch is on the circuit board (unlikely) then you probably just bought cheap sd cards with low binned memory

4. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    The Micro SDs are class 4 ADATA 8gb - should perform relatively well. Thanks for all your replies.

5. dragonmaster

dragonmaster THE WALKER

Sep 9, 2005
    Greece
    not really for transfering data in past times when micro sd came it was good but nowdays a class 6 may not be enough ,to explain it more it is like streaming if you dont have the bandwidth you will lag or freeze .
    class 10 is recomended for this kind of jobs

6. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The price for good micro SDs is plummeting as well, check out the prices on Amazon.com too. I'm pretty sure that in the past 72 hours, I've beaten and worn out this new Transcend micro SD, and it's trucking like a boss still.

7. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    What do you guys recommend? The affordable ones in New Zealand are 8gb class 10 apacer or kingstons. Will those suffice? 8gb should hold up for now right?

8. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    erm your not pulling the MicroSD from the slot right?

you know its a spring loaded slot so you push it down, it clicks, it pushes card out

9. tangerines
    OP

tangerines Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    New Zealand
    yup I know - i did try to pull it out the first few times but then realised it was spring loaded haha..

10. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany

:rofl: