Homebrew Does gateway downgrade break ninjhax?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I've downgraded my 3DS to 4.5, then updated via games (zelda to 6.x, yoshi to 7.x) and neither firmware version will allow me to run ninjhax. Both just dump me out in the web browser. I have erased my ninja save, deleted cookies, neither of which helped.

Any ideas?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've downgraded my 3DS to 4.5, then updated via games (zelda to 6.x, yoshi to 7.x) and neither firmware version will allow me to run ninjhax. Both just dump me out in the web browser. I have erased my ninja save, deleted cookies, neither of which helped.

Any ideas?
Just tested on my 4.5.0.9E downgraded and ninjhax still work !

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a 3ds XL with FW 7.1.0-10E that when trying to launch ninjax only opens IE.

I signaled this by mail to smea last week as a possible bug in the QR code. No answer yet :mellow:.

The firmware was uptaded from legit 4.X using Tomodachi Life EUR.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I downgraded my spare 9.2 3DS to 4.4 and have the same problem. I get dumped out of the browser.

It's only my spare console so I'm not worried, but downgrading does seem to break Ninjhax somehow.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not all Titles are downgraded.
Maybe Ninhax "QR Version" depends on un-downgraded titles?

Someone with NAND access who can compare files and version could confirm, and maybe list which titles are modified.
There's also a gateway.dg decryptor, it probably contains a list of titles to downgrade.

Reactions: Bug_Checker_

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is really weird. I'm trying to get Ninjax working on my spare machine (originally 9.2, downgraded to 4.4). I've checked the internet connection is working and made sure I'm using the correct QR code. Even using the same computer screen as before, yet I keep getting thrown back to the system menu with an error message.

I've never had a problem with my main console (4.1 with Gateway running 9.2 EmuNAND), I'm literally following the exact same steps.

This is a retail Cubic Ninja cart.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really weird. I'm trying to get Ninjax working on my spare machine (originally 9.2, downgraded to 4.4). I've checked the internet connection is working and made sure I'm using the correct QR code. Even using the same computer screen as before, yet I keep getting thrown back to the system menu with an error message.

I've never had a problem with my main console (4.1 with Gateway running 9.2 EmuNAND), I'm literally following the exact same steps.

This is a retail Cubic Ninja cart.

Did you delete your save if so I dont know what the problem is

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yep, deleted the save. I even loaded Google in the web browser to ensure the internet connection actually is working. I've tried the 9.2 QR code just in case that title wasn't downgraded, same problem.

Yet no issues with my main machine, which is 9.2 and never been downgraded. It surely must be something to do with the downgrade process given other people here are having the same problem.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, deleted the save. I even loaded Google in the web browser to ensure the internet connection actually is working. I've tried the 9.2 QR code just in case that title wasn't downgraded, same problem.

Yet no issues with my main machine, which is 9.2 and never been downgraded. It surely must be something to do with the downgrade process given other people here are having the same problem.

Maybe try with the 4.1 QR? It's a long shot, but worth the few moments of your time.

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, I can reproduce the bug. I'll be as thorough as possible; if any further information is desired, let me know.

Setup:
  • the system is a normal (CTR) 3DS, US region
  • sysNAND was 9.2.0-20U, downgraded to 4.2.0-9U
  • emuNAND is the same as old sysNAND: 9.2.0-20U
  • GW / Launcher.dat is 3.0.1
  • Cubic Ninja retail cartridge has ninjhax 1.1b installed.
Procedure:
  • Power on 3DS, run DS Profile exploit and hold L
  • Boot into Classic Mode
  • Insert Cubic Ninja cart; load game; enable Wifi
  • Press A -> Create -> QR Code
  • ninjhax begins to load;
  • the 3DS hangs at the 70% mark.
A few extras, just for fun.
  • SysNAND, no GW involved, booting retail cart: selecting QR Code crashes the game, giving an error message and a forced restart. Predictable, considering 9.2.0-20 is not the same as 4.2.0-9 (or whatever this apparent chimeric monster really is).
  • EmuNAND, booting Cubic Ninja ROM, scanning ninjhax QR code for OLD 9.2.0-20U: "installs" to save file just fine, running the exploit reaches 70% and then hangs.
  • EmuNAND, booting ROM, scanning ninjhax QR code for OLD 4.2.0-9U: the 3DS hangs. No visible activity at all.
What concerns me the most is the impact this will have on version numbers.
"What's your firmware?" "It's 4.5.0-10U." is suddenly ambiguous.
We'll end up requiring nightmarish constructs like "It was 9.2.0-20U, DG'd via GW 3.0.1 to 4.2.0-9U, UD'd to 4.5.0U via AC:NL."
To speak nothing of people who try to buy a 3DS with "firmware <= 4.5"...

Oh well. Thank goodness for NAND backups. I don't have a hardware mod, but I guess it's time to get one.

EDIT: Just tried another scenario: untouched mode, load CN cart, L+R+X+Y to delete save, scan QR code for OLD 4.2.0-9U; ninjhax loads, installs, boot.3dsx (the homebrew launcher) runs, and I can run yeti3DS. At least for me, ninjhax is fully working with a retail cart, 4.2.0-9U chimera sysNAND, and OLD 4.2.0-9U ninjhax 1.1b QR code.

EDIT2: I realized that, in this case, I can restore sysNAND to 9.2.0-20U without a hardware mod. So, that's a good thing. Assuming it works.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
mini update, restored my 9.2 from the gateway menu, tested ninjhax, it worked. Downgraded to 4.5 again, test ninjhax (deleted save, rescanned qr etc.) worked. Not sure I want to try updating through carts again, it's a boring process :-(

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
mini update, restored my 9.2 from the gateway menu, tested ninjhax, it worked. Downgraded to 4.5 again, test ninjhax (deleted save, rescanned qr etc.) worked. Not sure I want to try updating through carts again, it's a boring process :-(

Got the same problem., but since blargsnes and yobo have cia files, it's not that bad, the run fine :) in gateway emunand :)

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT2: I realized that, in this case, I can restore sysNAND to 9.2.0-20U without a hardware mod. So, that's a good thing. Assuming it works.
It does work. I've gotten bored and just downgraded then restored sysNAND backup (on 9.2) dozens of times yesterday. As long as the 3DS doesn't lose power during the restore, it's fine. (also applies to the downgrade)

Reactions: Helper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.