Hacking Does Factory Reset, resets the NAND?

BlandKnight16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I bought a New Nintendo 3DS XL in 2016 that came with some games probably because it was hacked, but it was sold as an unmodded console, it was what I wanted because back than due to fear of been banned. Years passed and I wanted to hack it, but it was already showing Luma3DS 7.1 configuration when booting but other than nothing else works. I tried to update the Luma3DS as following the 3ds.hacks.guide but to no avail. Now I want to know if I factory reset my 3DS does the NAND and/or sysNAND also resets, if it does, I can try to hack it as if the 3DS was brand new without any trace of hacking.

Reactions: Olmectron

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Luma3DS v7.1 means the console has B9S version 1.0. Please upgrade the B9S installation.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s

Years passed and I wanted to hack it, but it was already showing Luma3DS 7.1 configuration when booting but other than nothing else works.
So the console is bricked? Why? What happened? More information please.

Now I want to know if I factory reset my 3DS does the NAND and/or sysNAND also resets, if it does, I can try to hack it as if the 3DS was brand new without any trace ov hacking.
Factory reset aka "Format System Memory" throws away the user profile and makes any backup of the SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID 0>/<ID 1> folder useless because of changed encryption key. This is only useful if you want to get rid of previous user data (like on an unmodded console). It will not remove B9S… and this is a good thing!

Please don't try the "I wanna start from scratch… so I'll delete everything"-method. That isn't a good idea on 3DS consoles (please don't run the Uninstall Hax script). Having B9S installed is more or less the hardest part (nothing is hard anymore with 3DS homebrew/CFW since the software is very advanced and even almost fool-proof).

But I'm a little confused here. If nothing is working, how do you want to factory reset? In any case: To troubleshoot any software problems, please upgrade B9S and install Luma3DS to CTRNAND afterwards.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: CoolMe

BlandKnight16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Luma3DS v7.1 means the console has B9S version 1.0. Please upgrade the B9S installation.

So the console is bricked? Why? What happened? More information please.

Factory reset aka "Format System Memory" throws away the user profile and makes any backup of the SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID 0>/<ID 1> folder useless because of changed encryption key. This is only useful if you want to get rid of previous user data (like on an unmodded console). It will not remove B9S… and this is a good thing!

Please don't try the "I wanna start from scratch… so I'll delete everything"-method. That isn't a good idea on 3DS consoles (please don't run the Uninstall Hax script). Having B9S installed is more or less the hardest part (nothing is hard anymore with 3DS homebrew/CFW since the software is very advanced and even almost fool-proof).

But I'm a little confused here. If nothing is working, how do you want to factory reset? In any case: To troubleshoot any software problems, please upgrade B9S and install Luma3DS to CTRNAND afterwards.

Good luck and have fun!
Sorry for not clearing that up, what I meant was that nothing related to the hack works, other than that it works perfectly, I can play games, play online and buy from the eshop, but I can't do the step of using the Download Play button combination so I can't install any homebrew, I tried to update the b9s as the guide recommended but it was to no avail.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but I can't do the step of using the Download Play button combination
Expected, since Luma3DS v7.1 does not have Rosalina.

I tried to update the b9s as the guide recommended but it was to no avail.
Where exactly is the problem? Doesn't SafeB9SInstaller start? Possible reasons for that:
  • Missing boot.firm (renamed SafeB9SInstaller.firm) file on SD
  • Wrong file system → Must be FAT32
  • Bad/faulty/fake SD → Try another one and check your SDs with h2testw or F3 before trusting them
  • Faulty SD reader → Does the main operating system detect SDs? Can those be used normally?

Reactions: BlandKnight16

Wennydenny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i’m kind of having a similar issue at first it just randomly turned off and then when I turned it back on it said something about Stacks and then now it’s saying something about not having CTR so I decide to try to do it a CTR transfer and sometimes I get really close one time I even had the option to lock it in but when I press start it just messed it up again and sometimes when I’m doing the scan for the transfer screen pops up with a QR code looking thing on the top I was wondering if you could help me

Wennydenny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Where exactly is the problem? Doesn't SafeB9SInstaller start? Possible reasons for that:
  • Bad/faulty/fake SD → Try another one and check your SDs with h2testw or F3 before trusting them
  • Faulty SD reader → Does the main operating system detect SDs? Can those be used normally?
like I kind of just wanna know if my thing is done forever or can I fix it

BlandKnight16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thank you KleinessSinchen, it worked, my New 3DS XL was reading my micro sd card normally so I kept using it to try the installation (it was a sdxc), but when I saw you post I tried using a completely different type micro SD and it worked perfectly, many thanks again!!!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...