Hardware Does anyone think Switch will have streaming capabilities like Nvidia Shield?

• Thread starter Yil
  • Start date
  • Views 1,625
  • Replies 9
  • Likes 1

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With Geforce experience of course. Playing your nvidia powered pc games on ultra setting on your Nintendo Switch tablet.

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Geforce experience of course. Playing your nvidia powered pc games on ultra setting on your Nintendo Switch tablet.
How much system resources does the geforce experience take? I'm sure nintendo will be trying to not go with the usual nvidia tedency to have bloat.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How much system resources does the geforce experience take? I'm sure nintendo will be trying to not go with the usual nvidia tedency to have bloat.
Much less than playing a game. Also You won't be running and streaming a game at the same time. I am talking about from pc to tablet, not the other way around.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this one has equal capacity to swing either way. It seems too good to be true, so I don't want to get my hopes up... At the same time, NVIDIA seems pretty confident in their partnership with Nintendo. NVIDIA knows that this feature is a big deal to PC gamers, and they're kind of missing out on a big opportunity if they don't include it. Surely, NVIDIA wants to do everything they can to help make Switch a success because it will certainly benefit them as well. On the other hand, appealing to the PC-crowd is quite the opposite of Nintendo's typical target audience. They like to make things straight-forward, simple, and family-friendly. GeForce Gamestream is at least debatable in these areas, and Nintendo may not want to deal with the support nightmare that would accompany casual players trying to stream from their 1 GHz PC over a 4Mbps internet connection...

But a lot of this comes down to presentation and the particular implementation. And also, who is Nintendo really targeting? If they really are going for a more mature audience with the Switch, this could be one way to garner a little more interest.

there is just no way
Why not? Could you explain your reasoning?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TehCupcakes Of course, i forget about boosting gpu sales.
If this will benefit nvidia's pc market, then most likely Nvidia will offer a powerful chip at a loss but the higher end gpu is still needed. This doesn't even include geforce now. Also Game streaming is only avalible for gtx 600 onward.

Reactions: SSG Vegeta

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I don't think it would help NVIDIA sell GPUs. The people who plan to use such a feature will already have a powerful enough GPU. I meant the feature might help sell the Switch to consumers (particularly, PC gamers), and presumably NVIDIA gets a portion of the profits from hardware sales.

I don't think the GTX 600+ limitation is any concern nowadays. Again, any serious user who has an NVIDIA card will have one new enough to do the job.

The problem I think would be the impression that some users get just by the fact that such a feature exists. To some, it creates a negative impression if their new device has a feature which they cannot utilize - it would almost be better (for marketing purposes) if the feature didn't exist at all. If you're trying to use game streaming as a feature to help sell the console, that is not going to work well for selling to all the people with AMD graphics card, and just might have the opposite effect. (E.g. "Why would I buy a Switch? I can't even use the game streaming and I'm not planning on buying a new graphics card.")

Maybe this is something they could add down the line, and I hope they do... But I think it could create some complications with their image upon release, so again, I'm not counting on it. Either way, it would need to be marketed as a "bonus" feature and not as a major selling-point to prevent misconceptions some might get about it.

Last edited by TehCupcakes,
Reactions: Yil

Andim

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem I think would be the impression that some users get just by the fact that such a feature exists. To some, it creates a negative impression if their new device has a feature which the cannot utilize - it would almost be better (for marketing purposes) if the feature didn't exist at all. If you're trying to use game streaming as a feature to help sell the console, that is not going to work well for selling to all the people with AMD graphics card, and just might have the opposite effect. (E.g. "Why would I buy a Switch? I can't even use the game streaming and I'm not planning on buying a new graphics card.")

Maybe this is something they could add down the line, and I hope they do... But I think it could create some complications with their image upon release, so again, I'm not counting on it. Either way, it would need to be marketed as a "bonus" feature and not as a major selling-point to prevent misconceptions some might get about it.
Make the streaming feature a downloadable app on the eShop, published by Nvidia. Don't push it too hard in the advertising. It could work.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TehCupcakes
Of course Nintendo will not allow it to be marketed as a shield device, but in someway this will provide minor benefit sales in both Nvidia's gpu sale and Nintendo's console sale. Or else Sony won't be pushing play station now.
People with Nvidia cards will consider switch over xbox one and ps4 since it compliment the streaming feature, while people with switch will someday consider buying Nvidia cards to also try out this feature over amd, say their hardware refresh.
The bigger question is if this is part of Nvidia's plan, what kind of deal is Nvidia going to give Nintendo, and at the price of 250 use, what kind of hardware we will get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte