Does anyone have any experience with SSF?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by RemixDeluxe, Jan 17, 2015.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I never owned a Sega Saturn and wanted to try its vast library of games before I seriously consider purchasing the system for myself. I was told this was the best emulator for Sega Saturn (correct me if I'm wrong), I have used a few emulators but I've never had such a difficult time with one such as this. Maybe I'm not used to disk based emulators and I need some time to adjust.

So I'm currently using what I assume is the latest version (0.12 beta R4), is there any readme, youtube videos, or FAQs I can follow to get this setup and running? I'm trying my best to load the .MDF files but it wont accept them.

2. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Anyone?

3. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    bump

4. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Do I have to have an emulated disk drive in order to use this emulator? I just dont wanna download more unnecessary programs just to play some Sega Saturn games.

5. ody81

ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012

It helps to, iirc you don't need to, it's how I use it though.
    Gotta duck out and sleep. Be back later to help if nobody else jumps in.

6. nonamejohn

nonamejohn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    SSF requires a disc emulator to play backups. Daemon-tools or magic iso will be fine. I have been using SSF for years and it plays nearly every saturn game flawlessly.The only thing I don't like is that there is no hardware acceleration for the graphics. Send me a pm if you need more info.

7. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    All I ask is for a step by step on setting up. I wanna get to playing on this asap.

8. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Right, yes you need a virtual drive program, and the game mounted on it before firing up ssf. Then you need to select 'Clone Drive' somewhere in the options, then restart. Should be good to go after that..... assuming you have the BIOS file (and have it correctly named if memory serves me)

EDIT: Ninja'd! :lol:

9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Ok I think I got the hang of it after getting the bios and using DAEMON tools. Granted this isnt as streamlined as other emulators so there is a bit of work on the user end but once you configure everything its pretty much good to go.

One very minor complain, very minor. The icon for the application shows up as a generic windows program default. I was hoping for some really cool custom icon to represent the emulator itself. Otherwise this is running just fine.

10. ody81

ody81 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012

Glad someone could help you, I like my sleep :)
    Yes SSF is a pain but it's the lesser of two evils (the other Saturn emu is pretty clunky too). The frontend's the real killer so I use it through cmd and set it up manual with the ini files. I can give you my ini's if you have any more drama.
    And the icon, just grab an .ico off the web and use that and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll find one quick enough through google.

And totally try Tempest 2000 and Enemy Zero if you haven't already. It's one of the better versions of Tempest out there if you can handle trippy Jeff Minter arcade shooters. :)

11. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    While were on the subject about emulators what would you say is best in class for DreamCast? It looks like a close neck to neck between Chankast and nullDC.

For Sega Genesis, 32x, and CD I'm going to stick with Kega fusion.

12. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    bump for opinions