Does a hdd behind a hub work?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by guiso98, Oct 24, 2009.

Oct 24, 2009
  1. guiso98
    OP

Newcomer guiso98 Newbie

United States
    Hi there

I am in 4.1u. All Neogamma, Configurable Loader and Loader GX work great with my flash key.
    I am considering to get a powered usb hub so that I can connect the key there instead (and eventually replace the key by an HDD).

Will it still work?

10x!

2. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    As far as I am aware, the USB 2.0 support is too much of a hackjob and the code necessary for hubs would be too complicated for a cIOS. But why do you need a hub for a flash drive or HDD, you can connect a hub to the other port for all your accessories instead.

3. primulas

Newcomer primulas Member

United States
    on my setup uloader will not work through a hub; i must plug in the hdd directly to the wii. As said above use the hub for all of the accessories if you need too.

-Prim

4. guiso98
    OP

Newcomer guiso98 Newbie

United States
    The reason I was considering the hub is because I don't feel quite comfortable with a usb-powered hdd drive. My options were:
    1. connect one usb powered hdd -like the WD My Passport- directly to the port --> but concerned about wii's usb power capabilities for it.
    2. connect the same hdd behind a powered hub --> wii's usb power would be relieved
    3. get an ac powered hdd to relieve wii's usb power--> but they are bulky and don't have not found one below 500gb.

[​IMG]

5. beav1s

Newcomer beav1s Advanced Member

United States
    why do you have such unsubstantiated concerns?
    id suggest get rid of your silly preconceived notions and quit creating problems where none exist
    hubs dont work

6. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you really want to give your drive some extra juice, you can use a Y-split USB cable connecting the drive to both the Wii and a USB AC Adapter. You'll probably want a USB extension cable as well, so your Wii doesn't have to be a foot from an AC outlet. This way, your drive will definitely have 500mA+ available should it need it.

7. guiso98
    OP

Newcomer guiso98 Newbie

United States
    Thanks all for your answers.

8. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    The Wii is more than powered enough, at least as much as the average powered hub. And if you want, you can still plug the additional power lead of Y-cables into the hub, just the data line must go into the Wii directly.