Hacking Question Do you use CFW? Why?

Do you use CFW? Why?

• Homebrew

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Backup loader

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Emunand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Letting nintendo know they can't control what we do with a product we paid for.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Arrr! I'm a pirate so don't piss me off or you'll walk the plank!

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • 2 or more of the above

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • I'm a hardcore nintendo fan boy and only use ofw. You should all be burnt at the stake!

• CFW offends me

• Other miscellaneous things

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you use custom firmware do you? You like it do you? Or maybe you only use official firmware and want to stay true to the big N? Hey that's your choice. Maybe you do neither and could care less. Well this thread is for you. Sound off! Represent! Draw your line in the sand and let the world know.
But please keep it civil. No bickering and name calling, no putting the other guy down because he doesn't prefer the same thing you do. Let's show everyone we can be adults here about a normally touchy subject. And just have an intelligent conversation about why we use our favorite firmware.
Me? I'm still waiting on my switch to get here but I have several hacked consoles under my belt, of which I'd have to say my wii is my favorite because it was so wide open you could do anything but fry eggs on it.
But at the top of my list is the ability to do whatever I want with a product I paid my hard earned money for. I like the freedom that an exploit and custom firmware allows us to have. I DO NOT want some stuffy, rich men in suits in a skyscraper somewhere with a gigantic global corporation, telling me what I can and cannot do with my property.
Also I really don't appreciate my electronic device spying on me and sending all of my information back to them. So I like having the ability to stop that.
Next, if I wish to play a game in the comfort of my own home or on the go without being online that's my business. Especially single player games. I should not have to always be connected to the internet just to play megaman 2.
Which reminds me, I want to be in control of my gamesaves. I should be able to do whatever I wish with them, whether that's backing them up to a pc to preserve them or modifying them as I see fit. As long as I'm not using them to cheat against other players online there's no reason for Nintendo to be upset. Don't want my saves in the cloud.
I am a huge fan of Homebrew. In particular I enjoy emulators. It amazes me how those developers can code such cool apps for free. I'm excited about that app that let's you stream any of your pc games to the switch too.
I also appreciate having the ability to backup my switch games and preserve them.
Last but in no way least, I have a strong appreciation for emunands. My wii had one and it was very useful.
So how about you?

Last edited by zomborg,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it's Piracy. Backing up my saves for longer games is cool too, I will never forget losing multiple 100+ hour saves because I loaned a handheld once.

Last edited by Daggot,
Reactions: The9thBit

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Back up saves, homebrews, cheats, emulators, illegal stuffs, and also it's nice to try a game first if it's actually worth buying.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use ReiNX, Vanilla Atmosphere and Kosmos for homebrew (mainly for testing purposes). I enjoy emulation of 8 and 16 bit consoles along with the ability to backup my save games. I'm not interested in backups nor do I really care about any of the retail Switch games (I own 3 of them). So it's homebrew 4 life (for me).

Reactions: zomborg

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because many games on Switch have disabled Polish language. The only way to enable it is to dig in files, sometimes repair or translate missing lines and put to Layeredfs.
You know, I had not considered that. Really useful reason to have CFW.
I use ReiNX, Vanilla Atmosphere and Kosmos for homebrew (mainly for testing purposes). I enjoy emulation of 8 and 16 bit consoles along with the ability to backup my save games. I'm not interested in backups nor do I really care about any of the retail Switch games (I own 3 of them). So it's homebrew 4 life (for me).
That's what I'm talking about! I really like the old games too.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've honestly only used CFW to play games before release which are only Smash and Pokemon. My Switch is more like a punching bag for testing stuff made by developers whenever they need someone to test something. Piracy ain't all that useful when you can't play backups you don't own online and I'm in the minority of people who actually pay for online for the Switch with my hacked console.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've honestly only used CFW to play games before release which are only Smash and Pokemon. My Switch is more like a punching bag for testing stuff made by developers whenever they need someone to test something. Piracy ain't all that useful when you can't play backups you don't own online and I'm in the minority of people who actually pay for online for the Switch with my hacked console.
I paid for the online service too. On my original switch. Even though it's hackable, I'm leaving it on OFW and leaving my account on it. I mainly paid for nintendo online service for my family to use.

Reactions: Draxzelex
D

Deleted User

I want to use homebrew to overclock my Switch, edit saves and run emulators but haven't because I don't want to get banned from online services.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use homebrew to overclock my Switch, edit saves and run emulators but haven't because I don't want to get banned from online services.
Yes I think there are several people who have the same concerns but I have heard once emunand is implemented in Atmosphere like it is in sxos, you can play online with your real nand and do Homebrew on your enand.
I've honestly only used CFW to play games before release which are only Smash and Pokemon.
I had to rub my eyes and read that again :blink: Pokémon as in sword and shield?!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
homebrew only, because I like full control and file access on my own device.
I never installed a game or a nsp/xci.

I use it to test projects (tools, ftps, media players, savegame managers, etc.) and many homebrew games engines (tomb raider, OSU, etc.).
soon I'll test released homebrew bounty games session.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homebrew only, because I like full control and file access on my own device.
I never installed a game or a nsp/xci.

I use it to test projects (tools, ftps, media players, savegame managers, etc.) and many homebrew games engines (tomb raider, OSU, etc.).
soon I'll test released homebrew bounty games session.
Wow! That is cool. I completely agree with you. I like full control of my own device too.
By the way, thank you Cyan for replying to this thread. I am honored. Seems like every time I've visited gbatemp through the years, even long before I ever joined in 2015, you were always around.

Reactions: Cyan

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy. Happy to pay for everything i play, but nothing that comes from, or for, Nintendo, sorry i meant Apple of today.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy. Happy to pay for everything i play, but nothing that comes from, or for, Nintendo, sorry i meant Apple of today.
You are not a fan of paying for Nintendo games?
Wow! I'm surprised by the poll results so far. Almost 44% of everyone that voted, like their CFW for 2 or more of the above. Same with me though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei5hC8ahLoc