Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It seems to me that the Pokémon main series haven't really evolved. It still feels the same as the original Red and Blue releases. Also, the gameplay is really boring, forcing you to just press the A button repeatedely 80% of the game.

So, how do you feel about Pokémon? Is it good the way it is or could it use some change?

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
No, Pokemon is awesome. You're just hating on Pokemon aren't you? I love Pokemon especially Kyogre, so cute!!! There isn't anything I would change. Though I should mention I love J-RPGs.

AshIris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
i sense some disrespect coming in this thread... btw, some parts of pkm should change, while others should stay the same. thats just my opinion.

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I realized that I just changed my profile picture to one that contais a Pokemon, lol!
You're just hating on Pokemon aren't you?.
Maybe :P

i sense some disrespect coming in this thread... btw, some parts of pkm should change, while others should stay the same. thats just my opinion.
Well, I expressed my opinion (which is negative for now) but I invited others to express their opinios too. I hope it was not disrespectful :unsure:

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
I've owned all of the major games since Gen 1, and, well, honestly, I've grown bored of it. Pokemon will forever be a part of my life that I love, but it no longer holds my interest because the series really hasn't changed much. Sure, it's grown as new things keep getting added, but the main goal of the game is the same - collect all 8 (or 16 badges for Kanto/Johto) and all the Pokemon. I can pop in Diamond version into my DS, and Black 2 into my DS, and feel like I'm playing the same game with different scenery.

It really just is getting to the point where it's tooth and nail. I agree with the last 2 posters (at the time of my writing) in this thread.

While I may not ever beat Black or White 2, (which I've had since launch, got both the Japanese on launch day at the Tokyo pokemon center and the English on launch day at my local Target store), I'll still love the series that pokemon is, but I think I've outgrown it.

I'll still flaunt my Espeon tattoo, though - I may be tired of the series but I still have mad respect for it.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Could you explain the difference between overrated and overestimated? (I tried to google the portuguese translation, but it translates overrated as overestimated)

Being English myself, the English language often confuses me :) But I would assume that overestimated referes to having guessed too high a number, you would estimate that 120 people did something, whereas overrated suggests that you assume something is better than it really is. You would rate something as being 8 out of 10 when really it's only 3 out of ten.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The portable games could use a fresh coat of paint and a new story...

I would really also like to see a MMORPG based on Pokemon for the Wii-U, of course this will never ever happen but it does seem like it would be fun.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed it when I was introduced to it, and for a while after that, but now I can't even finish one game as I just lose interest in its repetitiveness.

ImNotSkilled

The Pokéman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been an avid player ever since Red.

Loved first gen, second, third and fourth.. I LOVED original fifth gen Black 1. I managed over 400 hours on that game just breeding! Absolutely loved it. The new trading was a fresh new step into the success of the pokemon series! Then came black 2/white 2.. Played through Black 2 maybe 2-3 times (mostly due to lost saves and what not) but the first time playing through was the hardest.. I couldn't find myself staying up until 4 in the morning playing under my sheets unlike Ruby or Platinum. There was a major factor lost somewhere deep within the coding between fourth and fifth gen... No idea what it is, but I sure know its not what a pokemon game should be.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I say yes. The series hasn't changed much of anything since gen1.
You never actually played Gen 1, did you. Firered And Leafgreen are Gen-III, by the way. They use the Gen-III engine and mechanics.

Gen-I was on the greyscale gameboy, and pokemon didn't even have genders then (much less abilities and other things currently tracked), your bag only had one pocket and a limited number of slots so you needed to store items in the PC, there was of course no global trading, etc.

EDIT: Also, "Attack, Defense, Speed, Special". Special was a single stat, not split into attack and defense. This made psychic types incredibly powerful, and there was no Steel-type or Dark-type in Gen-I.

I was really dissapointed that they used pixel based Pokemons in the DS games instead of 3D models just like Pokemon Stadium. I mean, the very least they could do was to give a proper graphic update for the serie.
Dude, I'm surprised Gen-V works as well as it already does, seeing as the DS only has 4MB of RAM. If they did use 3D models (like New Super Mario Bros.), they'd have to have pretty low polycounts, which would make them ugly.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The basic idea behind the games have always been the same but the mechanics of the game has constantly been evolving, there's so much more strategy and possibilities in BW2 than there is in the early games then with the breakthrough of online competitive play there's no reason why anyone would want to go back and play a pokémon game that isn't the latest one. People complain about there being too many pokémon releases, but when you exclude the spinoffs, the remakes and the different versions of the same games you come down to 6 main pokémon entries for a franchise that's been around for the last 15 years or so. The games will probably eventually change up story elements, game goal and other things to a larger degree that before but the battle mechanics will remain the same as long as people want it that way, and seeing how it's accessible but deep at the same time they are I don't see its popularity fading anytime soon.

What they need to do now is to slow down and wait a while before introducing any 6th gen pokémon, they already have a large amount of pokémon to choose from and improve on if they were to reveal the new 3DS mainline pokémon game anytime soon.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love pokemon but the games remain the same but different every time, and yes you do just tap the A button over and over and the interface needs reworking and there take features away from the new games such as pokemon following you and have the run on always. Also unless you been playing pokemon all your life, there is also a lot of ingame talk that I heard people moaning about as there don't understand it. I think it should change but remain the same at the core, let hope the 3DS game sorts it out and improves on pokemon and not take things away.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
TV-series: hell yeah, boring as fuck now too.

Games: no, the games are epic and truly worth their money. Easy to learn, hard to master, just like every good game out there. Definitely not overrated IMHO, although they sell incredibly well sometimes, which I don't agree with.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The game formula needs a major revamp. Way too easy, way too boring, way too limited.
They were fun when they first game out, but they need some serious changes to even be considered passable anymore. I can't even remember when or where I heard the possibility of Atlus influencing a pokemon game, but I was it had been true. Atlus could have done pokemon right, and taken it in the right direction.

But oh well. I suppose if they changed it NOW, it'd inconvenience its kiddy, simplistic playerbase.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix they made was, has never been pushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I don't think Nintendo will know anything about troubleshooting Edge. They mostly do technical support regarding their console family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell them you downloaded their trailer without permission
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Good one, Ken.
    Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo would care that their videos aren't working on a major browser
    LOL K3N. HAHAH!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My left eyes hitting random pain for whatever reason allergy cold bring it on
    Dont know why FF is slower on my pc either. Tried all the "speed up firefox" tricks but notta.
    In good news... I get to pick up my kittys ashes today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be a ram stick failing
    Im going right when they open at 8am. Been waiting 2 weeks to get her back
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Chrome is like "BRRRRRRRR" but I dislike the fact it's a powerhouse, and the fact that Manifest v3 exists
    Im not sure if a ram stick has a whole lot to do with your eye. lol :P
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Im not sure if a ram stick has a whole lot to do with your eye. lol :P