Do you support marijuana legalization?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by GhostLatte, May 10, 2019.

1. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    NO.People are to dumb to use it reasonable and moderately.
    Best example: More and more people get caught in vehicle controls they are stoned.
    On highways there are more and more note signs not of "Don´t drink and drive" rather than "No drugs on driving".

2. GhostLatte
    OP

GhostLatte GBAtemp's Official Van Master™

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    You must feel the same about the alcohol.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Except that if it was legal you'd be able to run campaigns highlighting the dangers of using drugs while driving. If the drug is blanket-illegal you can't raise awareness of the few genuine dangers because you're not supposed to use it at all.

DarknessPlay3r, Subtle Demise and Xzi like this.
  4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Take your drinks & smokes and get into your van.:P

GhostLatte likes this.
  5. Reiten

Reiten Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2014
    Germany
    For medical use sure.
    As for recreational use, no. Though I do agree that making it totally illegal isn't the best solution, so I could see myself agreeing to something like marijuana cafes or something like that.

6. rustinrj

rustinrj Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    United States
    I strongly agree on using it for medical purposes only.

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Yes, but there's a "but..." involved.

A few of my friends smoke (occasionally), and I myself VERY occasionally*. But what they told me...either it was naive when we were young, or marijuana has changed. and I fear the latter.

You see, like all drugs, marijuana consists of different chemicals. And - ironically - because it is illegal, there is no oversight. It is made by either lucrative gardeners (unlikely) or at best gray-ish criminals (likely). Because they don't want to get caught, they don't want to do it for charity either. And that changes to "making profits". And that means that they looked for ways to either increase the effect or the addiction ratio. And since marijuana is a plant, it can be boasted like that.

Result: the marijuana that goes around "on the street" and is being smoked is no longer that relatively harmless plant that could get you high and not much more.

So that's basically the but: it should be legal, but (IMHO) also government regulated, in rather similar ways that tobacco and alcohol are regulated (and that, certainly in Belgium, are taxed to a pretty high degree).

*when applying for an insurance, I actually told them the truth: in the last five years I had "done drugs": I had smoked exactly one joint. :P

Xzi likes this.
  8. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    Legalize consumption, regulate it and tax it. Decriminalize the rest of the drugs, and since we're at it, legalize, regulate and tax prostituion. Treat drug addiction like a serious health condition and not a crime.

Do all this and you actually have a positive effect. My country decriminalized all drugs and treats it like an health issue, in a few years time we crushed an heroin crisis. Weed consumption maintained but has virtually no impact on society. Human trafficking broke as prostitution was decriminalized and pimping criminalized - prostitutes came out of the streets and started advertising on proper sites and do it on private property.

Subtle Demise and Xzi like this.
  9. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I am against smoking in Public but I don't care what people do at their homes or in Private Clubs ...
    As long as I am not "forced" to inhale this stuff because everyone around me is smoking I don't mind

10. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    All my police friends say they would rather have alcohol illegal and marijuana legal. These are police that work in a big city. So i say yes, i support legalization.

Xzi and dpad_5678 like this.
  11. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    I don't believe in drug prohibition at all. I think that whatever adults choose to put into their own bodies in the privacy of their own homes is their business, not the governments' and not anyone else's. That doesn't mean people get to run around high in public, and that they've accepted the consequences for their own actions.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    As long as it is clean source and you can grow it yourself not sell and make a fortune like Scumbag Drug Dealers or Big Pharma for that matter trying to sell it to the Peeps Put that in your Pipe and Smoke it Son.

13. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Yes because that worked out really well last time...

splymb and Subtle Demise like this.
  14. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    After Spain, Italy has recently legalized marijuana too, but only those low % hallucinogen ones are allowed and IT CAN BE BOUGHT by any adult, the goal was taking back any illegal activities about selling Marijuana which were under mafia's control and obvious it generate tax too.

the motto is suppose to be ''When you can't fight drugs, then you become dealer''.

LMFAO!

Last edited by leon315, May 10, 2019
  15. Roamin64

Roamin64 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2007
    Canada
    The canadian prime minister got my vote solely for that. It's completely legal now , and barely anything's changed from before. No increased violence, no increase of people driving under the influence. Everything is relax, it's as if it always been legal. So yeah, totally for it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The my body, my rules thing is a fairly persuasive argument. However ease of access, education, being able to be compelled to treatment and more on the basis of harm potential (proper big boy science and evidence based approaches too) go with that. Treatment would probably want to be overhauled as well -- I quite like Switzerland's model here where it is tied to giving people a means to get themselves out of the things that got them in (boredom and hopelessness are far bigger factors than many seem to realise, or at least societal recourse and treatment protocols seem to reflect).

As weed is not chemically addictive, you have to go out of your way to overdose on it and its typical effects on people don't turn them into raging knobheads (unlike booze) then I find few reasons for it to be treated as harshly as it is in a lot of places. If people are going to drive stoned then I am quite for stern treatment (though stripping of the ability to drive is a harder thing to justify -- "what days do you have off? good because you will be on this course for the next X months" sort of thing) even if driving stoned is not as bad in some ways (still impaired driving though). Speaking of evidence then we seem to have several US states of varying richness, population types and more to compare and contrast before and afters for at this point, as well as the Netherlands. I have only been to Washington state since things, much the same as it was before (give or take the Seattle homeless thing being insane, though that seems unrelated) and otherwise a reasonably pleasant (if bloody expensive) place to spend a bit of time and grow up/spend your life. Did not go to the Netherlands before it started (mainly as that was the 70s) but went between the "somewhat rare and hard to come by" and "walk four or five buildings in major parts of Amsterdam" points, also still seems to be a pleasant enough place to be, especially for a capital city.

17. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    Let's all go and catch crabs because it's not as bad as gonorrhea and HIV.

18. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

GBAtemp Patron
    dpad_5678 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    These would be my exact responses as well.

19. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    no ,not in its current iteration
    it's a scam, you can not tax a plant
    i support decriminalization
    the government has no right to tax a plant , nor do they have any right to tell me which plants i can grow on my own property and how many
    do not buy the "legal" weed do not pay them taxes on it,

Last edited by weatMod, May 12, 2019
    alexander1970 and Subtle Demise like this.
  20. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They aren't, they're taxing sales of the plant. You don't have to pay taxes just to grow your own.

slaphappygamer likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted