Do you REALLY remember your FIRST Video game ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by alexander1970, Feb 17, 2019.

1. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

It doesn´t have to be your first played game,maybe you´ve seen it on TV or by a friend or on an electronic exhibition etc.

Did it influence your whole life ? Have your parents instanly have to buy an console or PC ?
    Please share your FIRST Video game experience.:)
    Thank you.

MicmasH_W, CodyWGamer and Chary like this.
  2. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    the first game i remeber watching was doom. the first game i remeber playing myself was diddy kong racing 64

MicmasH_W, DANTENDO, KiiWii and 3 others like this.
  3. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Tetris on the DMG-001 (fat Game Boy). The low contrast screen without a backlight and the greenish color… bad in every aspect. And…
    I LOVE IT!
    It still works perfectly.
    DMG-001.

When I got that thing I played for about an hour. Then my parents said it was time to go to bed. "Don't play for soo long." Grrr. The next morning the batteries were empty. (It came with zinc-carbon batteries which last only some hours in the Game Boy). My parents played all night long.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I was about 4, and my mom decided to let me try the Sega Genesis and Sonic 2. She gave me the second controller, and let me play as Tails, so I could run into enemies and press buttons. I remember having so much fun trying to play it, but I can't really recall much else other than enjoying the game.

MicmasH_W, KyleHyde, Tomobobo and 4 others like this.
  5. McBing

McBing Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2011
    Gambia, The
    the first game I saw or remember seeing was excite bike on NES played on a very small portable black white tv

the first game I remember playing was Tetris on my first Gameboy, I got on my 4th birthday

6. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    Kung fu master C64, later Snoopy C64, and then save new york C64. specially snoopy, that still brings back memories...

Last edited by JaapDaniels, Feb 18, 2019
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    First game I remember was Astroids when I was 4.
    Local snackbar had an Astroids cabinet.

IncredulousP and alexander1970 like this.
  8. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    My first experience didn't influence my life, as I didn't have money to play. I can't say for sure where the first time I saw one even was, because arcade machines were showing up everywhere. It was probably space invaders.

What influenced my whole life was getting a C64 in 1984.

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. alexander1970
    OP

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    My ever first saw video game(s) was by an school mate on an Texas Instruments TI-99/4A (first 16-bit homecomputer !).He shows me a football game and a shoot em up called Parsec.This was 1981 and before i had nothing to do with electronics/computers etc.

And YES it changed my life.:)

IncredulousP likes this.
  10. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    Good old Super Mario Bros. on the NES is the first I can really remember. I remember tricking my sister that she could fall down the holes to find secret areas, pissing my pants because I didn't want to miss my cousin beating a character in punch-out, and a substitute teacher ripping up my issue No.1 of Nintendo Power, the list goes on and on!

Maybe gaming in general hasn't had the most positive influence on my life, but it sure has created a ton of fondly memorable moments in it.

Zense, IncredulousP and alexander1970 like this.
  11. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    Depends on what you count as a video game. It's either one of these bad tiny LCD games which they put in McDonalds Happy Meals or Super Mario Bros Deluxe on the Game Boy of my mother.

IncredulousP and alexander1970 like this.
  12. alexander1970
    OP

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Yes,it IS a video game "experience".:)

IncredulousP and catlover007 like this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Hmmmmmmm.....

Now of course it was a long time ago (over 30 years, in fact), but I really think the first video game I saw was also the first game I played. More specifically: manhole. It was by a company named "nintendo". I got it for my birthday, though I can't even remember which one. Probably just before I left kindergarten for "the big school".
    Those game & watch games really gained in popularity among my friends, and soon I felt more jealous than anything else (those other video games had TWO screens!!!!!).

Now...this was well before even television was a main part of the community's main part of the day (heck...even "commercial television" was a thing of the near future :P ) and I couldn't even read at that age*, so it's not like I read much magazines.

*well...maybe I'm remembering things wrong and perhaps I was old enough to make out some letters. But it was a pretty early childhood memory.

alexander1970 and IncredulousP like this.
  14. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Pac Man was my first video game on Atari 2600 when I was kid. Loved that game, lol. Not anymore right now. Hate it. :P

alexander1970 and IncredulousP like this.
  15. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    Super Mario Bros. For NES :)
    Followed by SMB2 and SMB3. Very formative experience for me and clearly seeded my love of 2D platformers.

Last edited by IncredulousP, Feb 18, 2019
    MicmasH_W and alexander1970 like this.
  16. q*bert on the atari 7800

But I also had a multicart for it. And then a karate game (much later once I already had a megadrive).

Last edited Feb 17, 2019
  17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think that was Super Mario Land. Before I got a GBC, I played SML on someone else's GB, and had a great time with it. Not a bad first game. It didn't change my life but I still look back at it fondly.
    N64 games were life changing for me, especially Banjo Kazooie and both Zelda.

DarkDengar and alexander1970 like this.
  18. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    I don't really remember which game, but all i remember is watching Atari games in the neighbors house when i was like 4 yo or something.
    my first computer was Commodore 64 with Double Dragon, i still remember how i suffered to make the games work as a kid, this is how i learned how to type on the keyboard :rofl2:

19. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Anfroid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    Pokemon blue in first grade.

20. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    This question made me cringe. My first game was
    Cartoon Network Block Party for the GBA. It was
    a fun little title at the time, but well it's Cartoon0
    Network Block Party so yeah....
    (it's a mini game board game btw)

AdenTheThird and alexander1970 like this.
  21. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I don't remember exactly as I would have been 2-3, but my earliest memories are Sonic 2/3/&Knuckles and Super Mario Bros 1 (the latter being on my brothers NES).

I would say these influenced not only my taste in games even to this day but also making having multiple platforms normal for myself where as others I know stick to just 1.

Vorde and alexander1970 like this.