Do you miss the big dungeons?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Dan-the-Rebirth, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Do you miss the big dungeons in BotW?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. Dan-the-Rebirth
    OP

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    So the New Zelda changed quite a few things, one thing in particular are the dungeons. The big dungeons from the old games are gone. The 4 dungeons in BotW are way smaller, but we get 100s of shrines as compencation. Whats your opinon in it?

2. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I'm going to say yes, in that the sense of a unified gauntlet of puzzles centered around a theme with each affecting each other is minimized greatly in this game, but I find their absence completely tolerable. The shrines, though solvable in minutes, feel quite a bit more clever than the puzzles in previous games. They actually feel a lot like the quality and type of puzzles you'd see in a Portal game. I also find that the general time and concentration spent by the player in previous dungeons is consumed nicely by exploration, wayfinding, and treasure-searching in this game. So, I say "yes" only in that some essence has definitely been lost, but it's been replaced with elements I find just as entertaining.

Yil and swabbo like this.
  3. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Addict

Aug 5, 2007
    Oddly enough I kind of feel the whole game to be one big dungeon. (man that sounded cheesy)

Eurasiam and iAqua like this.
  4. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Yes, but I'm gonna give BOTW a pass because all of the dungeons are part of the open world. You don't go through a loading zone into a room that is bigger on the inside than the outside. I would have preferred a more normal dungeon, even if I had to load a new map, but the way they did it does work with the game's overall design well.

iAqua likes this.
  5. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes. The 4 dungeons are to short and not that rewarding.. And playing through those shrines feels so repetetive.

6. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    Yes, I love zelda for the dungeons and am disapointed by their abscense
    (Sorry for spelling...)

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    plenty of world to explore and hundreds of secrets to discover besides the dungeons

8. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Careful about mentioning there are four dungeons. Assholes got on me playing the "thanks for the spoilers, dick" card. Pssht

9. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I survived Eventide Island and all I got was this lousy tshirt...

grossaffe likes this.
  10. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Those Majora's Mask vibes tho.

11. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    You learn about those quite early in the game though... If they are that sensitive then they should stay off the bloody internet.

12. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Tips plz. How do you kill the Hinox?

13. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I didn't, you don't have to...
    How to beat Eventide Island Guide

14. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    That's a bummer. I haven't got around to doing a dungeon yet, but I was hoping for dungeons "larger [than] Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time" like Aonuma said.

15. Kikirini

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

May 18, 2011
    United States
    Vermont, USA
    I do miss the big dungeons. Don't get me wrong, climbing around a big mechanical beast is cool but the puzzles themselves are not challenging at all.
    The game is otherwise excellent, though.

16. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Yep. And I got called out for it. Funny how things happen here...

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Just did Eventide last night.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

18. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I don't really know, but I'm going to vote "no." All those Shrines with similar themes kind of have a little bit of a "Portal" vibe which is kind of cool. They do have their own variety of themes, some have waterfalls, some have bottomless pits, etc. I haven't gotten to the first dungeon yet so IDK, I only just met Old Lady Impa.

19. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Oh man, you ain't seen nothing yet...

20. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I thought I did, until I actually (finally) went into Vah Ruta. It was enough dungeon and puzzles to satisfy my dungeon craving, without being overbearing and overstaying its welcome. Even had a fun boss which I was also worried it wouldn't.

The thing about normal Zelda dungeons is they can start to just be really tedious always backtracking or searching for things you missed potentially for hours the first time you do it. Sure it's satisfying to beat, but that feeling is mostly because you finally got the hell out of there and could fight the cool boss.

Do it last, find the good bows, shoot its eye. It goes down incredibly easy.
    In the one boko/moblin camp where you have to stasis that sheet of metal off the ball platform, there's a chest around the ruins of the walls with a good sword. In the swampy muddy bit near the axe, in the mud is a metal chest with a good 2H sword. Both do a ton to hinox.

Also if that doesn't suit your fancy you can cheat by swimming to the shore of eventide and dropping weapons and food, and then stepping forward to activate the quest and all the stuff you dropped will still be there.
    EDIT: also, also you could just glide onto hinox and grab the ball and run away. I always fucked it up so I just killed him...but apparently it's an option.

Last edited by Hells Malice, Mar 11, 2017